main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] PM's covered by ToS?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ask-the-younglings, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    I've just been told that the content of PMs should conform to the same ToS as posts... is this the case? I ask because there's a remote possibility that one or two of the PMs I've sent (and received) aren't entirely ToS friendly.

What are the rules regarding PMs?

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    From the Rules of Conduct:
    User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense. In compliance with the Federal Trade Commission's Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), you must be at least 13 years of age to use this system. Also, as a general guideline, all users here should respect one another's opinions and beliefs. User also agrees not to post spoilers regarding the upcoming Star Wars prequel in any forum outside of those specifically labelled as allowing spoilers (this includes posting spoilers of any type in your profile and signature). This applies to private messages as well.
    From the Terms of Service:
    User acknowledges and agrees that the use of the Jedi Council Forums is a privilege, not a right, and that the administration of the Jedi Council has the right, at its sole discretion, to revoke this privilege at any time without notice should the administration deem it necessary. User agrees that this Agreement in its entirety applies to both public and private messages.
    As a rule of thumb, if you wouldn't say it in a post, don't say it by PM.

Kimball Kinnison

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, PM's are covered. If you'd rather discuss this with a mod to provide more detail, we'd be more than happy to help. :)

4. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Generally, you're not going to get in trouble for it unless who you're sending it to complains. So if you have a couple of swear words in your PMs, there's no way for the mods to know since they can't randomly check PMs. However, if they ever have a reason to check your PMs, and they do, that's when you can get in trouble.

5. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    In my opinion, there should never be bans over PMs execpt when someone complains, since theyre private.

In other words, dont discuss inappropiate content with someone who wouldnt appreciate it.

You dont know if they would, dont post it.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I also believe that PMs should follow different rules than those of regular posts.

7. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    In my opinion, there should never be bans over PMs execpt when someone complains, since theyre private.

We don't know there's a problem in someone's PMs until someone complains to begin with.

8. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I also believe that PMs should follow different rules than those of regular posts.

Why? Only admins can see what you say in PMs anyway (aside from the person you send it to), and they don't do that unless a complaint is made that requires them to verify a course of events. The unwritten rule seems to be say whatever you want in PMs, just make sure the person you're sending it to won't snitch on you.

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    there's a certain degree of trust in PM's that i've noticed

10. XenobiIsTired

XenobiIsTired Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2004
    could mods read what is written in a PM?

11. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    I quote only two posts above yours:

Only admins can see what you say in PMs anyway

But I think mods can see when banned users rpeatedly come back with different socks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.