main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Posting the same message in two different threads in two different forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Ok, I just have a quick question. Would it be considered spam or is it wrong to post the same message in two different threads in two different forums (when the message is relevant to both threads)? For instance, there are two threads discussing the new King Arthur movie, one in The Amphitheatre and the other in the YJCC. I replied to the King Arthur thread in the YJCC, but then realized that what I had posted would probably be better placed in the King Arthur thread in The Amphitheatre, since The Amphitheatre is more of a "discussion forum." Anyways, I was just wondering if this was acceptable?

Afterthought- I guess I should have asked this before I posted in both threads. Crap. Well, I apologize if that is in fact unacceptable. [face_worried]

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I can think of many threads in the JCC that mirror threads in the Amphitheatre, and vice versa. So I guess it's acceptable.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I personally think its ok to do so. The groups of posters are different between the JCC and the Amp, so probably both threads would appreciate your input.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I know, we're all afraid of a "definition of spam", but isn't one that spam doesn't add anything to a discussion?
    A longer, thoughtful post wouldn't fit that criteria, would it? ;)

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

I made those two Arthur threads in different forums and it was after I did that I read the rules, and interpreted the "posting the same info" as against the rules.

So I PM'd a mod to delete the thread in the Amphitheatre and was told that it's ok for the two threads to remain cause overlapping of discussion takes place in the Community and Amphithatre forums.

So I guess there was no problem with those two posts.

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Sounds like your two mods need slapping around the head and face because posting the same message more than once, regardless of what forum it's in, is spam.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    even if both posts are actually relevant to the discussion?
    also.... more than once? Really? Thread, yes, but replies?

hey, we're being nice for a change!

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Sounds like your two mods need slapping around the head and face because posting the same message more than once, regardless of what forum it's in, is spam.

Actually, a lot depends on what the message is and how on-topic is it.

Posting the smae thread in multiple forums is treated as spamming (except when directed to do so by a mod, such as when you are redirected to another forum).

However, often two threads in two different forums overlap. For example, if a news article came up about Iraq, a user might post it in both the JCC and the Senate Iraq threads, where it would be on-topic, but the two discussions would be of a completely different nature.

THere are limits, though. If we identify a pattern of such posting, it would be more likely to be considered spam than otherwise.

Kimball Kinnison

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yes, it's spam. But, there's absolutely no reason to take any action against it.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999

Hmmmm. I don't think that's true in 100% of cases, so I'll see if I can think of a counterexample. What if a person wanted to post a thread about Episode III and put a spoiler version in SA and a non-spoiler version in NS? Those two communities are non-overlapping enough that I don't think many members would encounter both copies of the thread. Is that still spam?

11. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I hardly think that is hard core spam. when one answer will answer questions in more than one thread, it should not be necessary to rephrase each time. spammette, at the worse. now, if the same answer is used to knee jerk someone or prod a flame or start a spam fight, welll, that is a different situation.

12. MITH

MITH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    I post the same message in two JCC threads at times.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I post the same message all the time in multiple forums when I update identical threads in the MS and Comms, such as the Forum Architecture threads. If the user is doing this in unrelated threads and it has little to do with the topic at hand, AND it occurs time and time again, then we've got a problem to address as it MAY constitute spam or it could be the early signs of a posting pattern that will ultimately develop into spam.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    DLM...
    "Is that still spam?"

Defer to the standard internet definition which has existed since before the web was born.

Spam is the excessive cross-posting of a message. If your hypothetical scenario fits that bill, then it's definitely spam.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Before the Internet, spam was merely a delicious canned meat not requiring refrigeration.

16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Which is why I said "...before the web..." not "before the internet" :p

17. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Spam is the excessive cross-posting of a message.

My question still is that if you post the same message (and it is relevant) in two different threads in two different forums, is that considered "excessive"? From the answers I've read here, it doesn't seem to be, but there also seem to be some people who do think it is spam, so I guess I'm still just a little bit confused.

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    One time like that isn't really spam. It's making that a behavior day after day that constitutes spam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.