main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] PROPOSAL: JC Honor Students

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    You're right, I apologize :(

2. ChristmasOnCoruscant

ChristmasOnCoruscant Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    No.

This idea would destroy the concept of VIP. Face it, most of those on the JC are nerds and geeks, and those JC-ers who are still in school, probably get very good grades. All the sudden, all those people who have the digital cameras, etc... to prove their worth, are going to be going around with red colors.

That's a LOT of people on the JC. And I say this knowing I'm dumbing down a good opportunity to get VIPship, as I have sufficient enough grades myself.

3. Mr_J_C_Lawyer

Mr_J_C_Lawyer Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2004
    I believe 1stAD should recieve VIPship for his regret. And a hug.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    But you're happy to support someone getting VIP status for knowing exactly how many exhaust ports there are on a super star destroyer ?

The answer to that question is tricky, as you didn't specify what size the SSD is. If its 8 kilometers it'll have 22 exhaust ports, but if its 12.5k it'll have about 36, now I hope you weren't refering to an 18k SSD which would have 51. . . and the 22k SSD has about 66 ports. . .

[face_devil]

I think its a good concept, a good idea, but one that shouldn't go into pratice. For starters it'll be really hard to prove that their grade is a legit and if people lie about it, and they will, then that makes the reward less for those who got it. And you'd be supporting their lying. No one is going to work really hard at school for 9 weeks just to get a days VIPship on some SW messegeboard, they may for a month, but then if it wasn't getting abused before it most certainly will now.

Anyways, I think a better way to reward good students would be to get some SW celeb to come and do a Q&A session in the JCC or somewhere. Then have it set up like we do it in Lit, of course all users could take in the question submission and it wouldn't really be rewarding the good students, but if you do it around the end of the school year then you could say it is. ;)

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I agree with what a lot of people have already said.

- It doesn't have anything to do with SW.
    - It's impossible to actually verify.
    - It demeans the whole concept of VIP status, since a large number of people will have it for nothing SW related.

It's a nice idea in theory, but it would never work. And it seems like this would take away valuable mod time. I think the idea of an icon is much better, if this were to actually go forward.

Wouldn't a better idea be for the mods of each forum, to pick an exceptional user once a month, or every sixth months, and give them VIP status for a short time?

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Then there would be resentment amongst those who were deemed 'not exceptional' leading to campaigns for rules to determine what makes people exceptional leading to people disagreeing about the rules leading to open warfare.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Well, undoubtedly. Any time there's an "arbitrary" choice as to who has colors, rather than say, someone won a game, there will always be people who grumble and whine. But if they want to award people for something, it should be from contributions to the boards, and not something like good grades.

I personally don't think we need any of it, but if awards system is going to be established, then do it for something that everyone can have a chance at.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Awards on the JC should only be awarded for specific things, on objective criteria that can be pinned down beyond doubt.

9. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    [image=http://img148.exs.cx/img148/4893/report5hk.gif]

Can I have colors???

/,,/
    Rock on!

10. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
  11. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"This idea would destroy the concept of VIP."

Hahahaha! That owns me.

Also, can someone please say "tittle" again? Thanks in advance!

AYBABTU

12. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    but... but... I can resize images and I no longer get a tittle for it! :(

Will that suffice? ;)

13. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The entire concept of VIP is silly anyway.
    Either you are a mod with colors or you are not.
    Anyway that is for another thread.

-Seldon

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    E_V...
    "The answer to that question is tricky, as you didn't specify what size the SSD is. If its 8 kilometers it'll have 22 exhaust ports, but if its 12.5k it'll have about 36, now I hope you weren't refering to an 18k SSD which would have 51. . . and the 22k SSD has about 66 ports. . ."

I'd make you a VIP just for that answer. :)

15. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2004
    How about we honor JC'ers who have been here for 4 or more years and are still posting. Thats something to be recognized, iMHO.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Been registered for four years, or actively posting for four years? If the latter, how much is active enough? Just a post a year, or maybe a few dozen, or perhaps at least a few hundred. Just any sort of posting, or posting with a certain amount of depth to it? Who would judge it?

Just some thoughts to consider on that :).

17. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    <br><----- The number next to "registered:" is how we recognize someone who's been here four or more years, Kane.

If it's four or more years old, then it's an honor.

18. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Removing rewards for work on this web site to be replaced with rewards for things that has nothing to do with this web site at all doesn't make sense what so ever. It makes me wonder what was the problem with the old system if something so trivial to this site is even being considered seriously. The only answer I can guess is nothing.

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'd make you a VIP just for that answer

Thanks Ghenghis, that means a lot to me! :)

20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    You know, it's kind of funny how thing whole thing with "internet honor" has come about, when really, it's nothing more than the date the person registered. Heck, my first username was an 01er, and if I had registered as far back as I'd browsed, I'd be getting some respect as well, like most of us. :p

21. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Bahh! Honor students!

My kid beat your honor student up!

22. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Well someone out there would have to know all the equivilent of a US 3.5 GPA.

For example, how does a (UK) National Curriculum Level 8 for Key Stage 3 compare? Also, in the UK you don't get an overall grade. How would we deal with that?

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think it's been mentioned that in order for it to work, each educational standard would have to be evaluated and each level of achievement levelled against the next to ensure JCers worldwide worldwide have an equal chance of getting that precious VIP status for a day. Really, time well spent. [face_plain]

24. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    This whole idea is silly and I'm wondering if it's a joke thread in response to the grounded students post from a few days ago.

L8r

25. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa...
    "Heck, my first username was an 01er, and if I had registered as far back as I'd browsed, I'd be getting some respect as well, like most of us."

You need to be more sarcastic. That's where the real honor comes in. Start being more sarcastic, and *WHAM* suddenly everyone and their brother are posting threads in your honor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.