main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Question about offensive language

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Pellaeon-Firke, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    This is a hypothetical, before I start. If the thread's more trouble or more likely to cause troube than it's worth, would one of the mods please lock it.

Now, I know that regardless of race, beliefs, or intent, nobody on the JC may use the "n-word." What about other offensive terms that aren't quite as taboo today or that don't have as big a history behind them, particularly if the poster is referring to himself or herself?

Could I, a white Jew, call myself a kike, yid, or a honky? Or say that I "jewed" (verb) someone? Would it be okay to post: "I'm a dumb honky" or something, as a joke? Could I say something like "I prefer eating cheap food because I'm so niggardly?

The last one's the only one I really care about, as it's the only one it'll ever be likely at all for me to use, but out of curiosity, what about the others?

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Interesting topic. There is always the possibility that another reader may dislike the language, despite it coming from someone as a joke. The simple fact is, things can be easily misread on a forum. While certain words in a joke like context would be ok, others may see it differently.

Personally I don't have an issue with it, because I realise that many here take it in good humor. But out of respect for others, it may not be a good idea.

3. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    There are words other than niggardly that you can use. Use them. I've never once heard anyone use it without intentionally trying to piss off people ignorant of it's meaning. I would say use of the word is borderline baiting, because the word has been out of the english lexicon for half a century, and all it's root does is cause problems.

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Interesting question. Personally, I'd avoid using them because people could misinterpret what you're saying. I'd stay away from 'yid' anyways, as it seems to be an insult(that's what urbandictionary.com told me, anyways :)). Niggardly does not have the same meaning as the 'n-word', nor is it derived from it, so I'd say you can use it. That's just my opinion :)

5. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Goon, I know what it means, and I know the synonyms. And most of the time, I probably would say I'm penny pinching or stingy, but there are times where I'm not in the mood to be particularly choosy about synonyms, so I was asking before I might get a language ban, instead of after.

EDIT: And I've used niggardly in conversation before, without any intent to anger people, so it's not always used as "bait," as it were.

6. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Why not just dump it from your vocabulary? It's just going to cause problems. At what point is it no longer worth it to point out to stupid people that "they don't know what that word means" or "Ha, you're so dumb to get all exited over a harmless word that doesn't mean what you think it means, but I used it so I could get this reaction and appear indignant that my lexicon is being subjugated to your PC badgering".

I mean, come on, thats what 99% of the people who still use "niggardly" are secretly thinking. Maybe you're not one of them, but oh well. Sacrifices have to made in the name of moral outrage.

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    There is no reason to have to remove a perfectly good, discriptive word from conversational use simply because it sounds a bit similar to another word to which some people take offense, and asking people to do so is ridiculous. Of course people shouldn't use the word in order to bait others, but given that it's a perfectly legitimate, inoffensive word, I think asking people to leave "niggardly" out of conversation (whether as a board rule or just as day-to-day advice) is silly.

-Paul

8. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    I don't think there should be a rule banning it.

I just think you should use common sense and not use it since there are 15 other perfectly good words to use instead.

9. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Keep niggardly in your vocabularly. It's a fine word that ignorant people confuse for race-bait. I have also used it in conversation when applicable.

Now, useing "jewed" is different, and derogatory. Other terms not to be used:
    Yid, hebe, kyke, w(h)op, spic, wetback, mick, kraut, jerry (in some camps), goombah, coon, jungle bunnies, spear throwers, dot-heads, injuns (except if you're a 19th century gold miner, and then you can also use otehr lingo, such as consarnit), whigger, nigger (also prefixed by "sand"), towel jockeys, gook, slant-eye, charlie (in ref. to east asians), jap, chink (also, some say jink, gink and kink are variations), chinksta (variation of wanksta), coconut, cotton picker, cracker, dago, oreo, mulatto (this is a mixed bag, but best to tread lightly), guinea/ginney, skippy poofter, soap dodger (french), wog (very versatile)...
    ...there are hundreds more, many variations and endless embarassment if caught using one accidentally, say, if you refer to something coconut and you refer to the edible nut, but a black person takes it bad. To really be on the safe side, visit the Racial Slur Database just to be on the safe side.

There.

10. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    From what I understand, Lord-Bane, both 'jewed' and 'honky' are considered socially acceptable and not derogatory :).

11. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Keep niggardly in your vocabularly. It's a fine word that ignorant people confuse for race-bait.

It's a fine word that has dozens of synonyms. People who are smart enough to use it know that other people that don't know what it means will more than likely take offense. People use it for shock value, or to be clever.

Example:

Person #1: "Man, rich black people are niggardly"

Person #2: *gasp* "I can't believe you just said that!"

Person #1: *grins* "What? Niggardly? It means stingy!"

Person #2: "Then why didn't you say 'stingy'?"

Person #1: "Because it's a perfectly good word! Why should I have to turncate my vocabulary to avoid pissing off PC crybabies?"

Person #2: "PC crybaby, am I? I hate you, #1. The marriage is off."

Trying to show off your large vocabulary when you know it's probably going to start fights makes Baby Jesus cry.

From what I understand, Lord-Bane, both 'jewed' and 'honky' are considered socially acceptable and not derogatory

From my experience "jewed" is pretty offensive. It's stereotypically portrays all Jews as tricksters and cheapskkates.

Honky is also considered a slur, but most white people don't seem to take offense because they aren't really aware that their being called a name. In my experience, of course.

12. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    BTG, I see your point, it does have plenty of synonyms, but you have to admit your example is a bit flawed. If someone wants to use the word, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to :)

13. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    It's a good thing I don't act stupid and use it to refer to black people. That makes the speaker just plain idiotic.

And FamousAmos, I have never in my life heard "jewed" in a positive light. It takes the term "jew" and slanders. As for honky, well, some people get offended, some don't. Go ahead, call me a honkey cracker. See if it irks me.

Wait.

Wait for it.

Ah-!

No, no reaction.

I stand by my considerably magnificent opinion that "jewed" shouldn't be used.

14. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    BTG, I see your point, it does have plenty of synonyms, but you have to admit your example is a bit flawed. If someone wants to use the word, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to

I'm glad you see my point, but I'm not sure how it's flawed. I know that it s a perfectly legitimate word, but I also know from experience that 99%* of the time that it's used it is done to "race-bait" or start a conversation on how clever the speaker is that they know that they aren't the same. Using it instead of a synonym just reeks of pretentious bull **** to me. I'm not a super PC guy, I just can't stand it when people think they are being clever by lording knowledge over someone else, especially when they are doing it for kicks so they can point out to the other person how dumb they are.

I get the feeling that the initial post was asking for permission to do just such a thing. That's why I take issue with it. If you're that worried about it, use a synonym. Another word bites the dust. Cry me a river. I'm sure the people who use "niggardly" (other than the 1%) will also be the first people running around calling themselves "gay" when they're feeling great.

*other 1% consisting of old eccentric English professor.

15. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    Lord Bane: I'm sure it is generally used as insult and what not, but my point is that the word in and of itself was not created to be offensive :)

Bob: What I meant when I said your example was flawed was that having the first person uses niggardly to refer to a rich, black man flaws your example because that's the race that would be 'race-baited' with the term(Does that make sense, sometimes I get a bit wordy :/) And again, I'll concede that most people will use something else, but we shouldn't restrict people from using the term at all :).

16. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    But, Amos, "jewed" came from the word "Jew," name for a people (singular) stereotyped as frugal, to be nice, and penny-pinching misers, to be harsh. It is certainly not stemming from any nice interpretations of the word.

If I said you were a cheap Jew, it would be the same thing. Just as offensive.

17. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    I said "rich black person" to be funny. I've heard plenty of other time where it's used to describe tipping and other small money transactions.

Again, I always hear it from some kid that just took a higher level English class and heard it for the first time, or more likely heard some damned comedian say it and thought it'd be funny to see how many people they can offend with really being offensive.

To summarize my entire argument, while the word itself is not bad, the intent behind it, more often than not, is mischievous.

But, Amos, "jewed" came from the word "Jew," name for a people (singular) stereotyped as frugal, to be nice, and penny-pinching misers, to be harsh. It is certainly not stemming from any nice interpretations of the word.

If I said you were a cheap Jew, it would be the same thing. Just as offensive.

Exactly, it's creating a verb that has only one meaning, and its a negative one.

18. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    I just re-read the definition on urbandictionary.com, and I missed the disclaimer at the bottom that says "not recommended to use in front of Jews as they may get offended." So I concede that point, sorry about that [face_blush] :)

Edit: You're right about that, Bob, that's probably when it's most likely to be used. But I still think you can't ban the word because people are prone to misusing it. I think you should allow it to be used, and moderate if it's obviously being used as a 'race-bait' :)

19. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Edit: You're right about that, Bob, that's probably when it's most likely to be used. But I still think you can't ban the word because people are prone to misusing it. I think you should allow it to be used, and moderate if it's obviously being used as a 'race-bait'

Obviously it's much better to moderate intent, and as far as I know that's always been the policy here. Like I said, I've never said that the word should be banned, I just have also never seen an instance of it's use when there wasn't bad intent behind it.

20. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    haha that's kind of amusing. urban dictionary isn't the almighty reference of what's offensive and what's not. it's even wrong quite a bit, so don't start trustoing it 100%. it can be helpful, of course. Just be cautious.

Anyways, i think pretty much all of the terms bane listed are inappropriate, offensive to enouch people, and not the kind of atmosphere we want at our boards, and shouldn't be used.

21. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    Then I suppose we're in agreement on the issue :).

Tracy: I realize it's not to be trusted 100%, but it was all I had to go off of :p

22. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
  23. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Tracy: I realize it's not to be trusted 100%, but it was all I had to go off of

I know, that's why i said something. always have to be careful when using one source.

Anyways, I have some jewish friends that use the word jew in that manner... but that doesn't make it okay. they also say loads of other offensive stuff.

I just don't see the need to tolerate racist words of those sorts when ALL of them have more "PC" alternatives.

Besides, these boards have alway been notoriously intolerant of racist comments, from what I've noticed...

24. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Just chiming in here with an outsider's point of view (I'm Swedish)... I had no idea whatsoever that niggardly could be taken as offensive by people. But that's good to know, perhaps I will be a bit careful using it when I go to the US.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Pellaeon-Firke, I can't see anything good coming from the terms or phrases you outlined in your initial post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.