main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Question about offensive language

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Pellaeon-Firke, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Pellaeon-Firke, I can't see anything good coming from the terms or phrases you outlined in your initial post.

Here's the thing: I can.

About a year ago, a minor fuss was raised over a thread in the Senate discussing "that N word". There were some users who took great offense to even though thought of people using it in a discussion from an intellectual standpoint.

However, in the thread itself, it was being used in an appropriate context (discussion of the word itself and its meanings and uses). We shouldn't compell users to constantly talk around the word in such a case.

That discussion was very valuable and educational in demonstrating the various viewpoints on racial slurs and reactions to them. The understanding that came from that discussion is something good coming out of the use of those words.

Kimball Kinnison

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Except you're talking about The Senate. A lot of stuff is acceptable there that isn't encouraged in, say, the JCC or 3SA.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Except you're talking about The Senate. A lot of stuff is acceptable there that isn't encouraged in, say, the JCC or 3SA.

I didn't see anything in this thread that limited the discussion of language to just the JCC or 3SA. Last I checked, the Senate is a part of the JC, too.

I spoke up about this when there was discussion in the MS about what words should be in the profanity filter. epithets, even racial ones, should be handled on a case-by-case basis, because there can be that variation from one board to another.

Kimball Kinnison

4. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000

I didn't see anything in this thread that limited the discussion of language to just the JCC or 3SA. Last I checked, the Senate is a part of the JC, too.

Yes, but when was the last time you saw a serious conversation about the origins of the work "kike" in the JCC? Have we ever had occasion to use "chink" in 3SA? I would hope not. All I'm saying is that the Senate is almost a horse of a different color, and certain topics might be appropriate for discussion only in the Senate.

5. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Yes, but when was the last time you saw a serious conversation about the origins of the work "kike" in the JCC? Have we ever had occasion to use "chink" in 3SA? I would hope not. All I'm saying is that the Senate is almost a horse of a different color, and certain topics might be appropriate for discussion only in the Senate.

Which is why I say that it should be a case-by-case matter. In most cases, it would be inappropriate, but there are a few limited cases where it is appropriate, and those should not be forbidden through a blanket rule simply because other cases are inappropriate.

Kimball Kinnison

6. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Which is why I say that it should be a case-by-case matter. In most cases, it would be inappropriate, but there are a few limited cases where it is appropriate, and those should not be forbidden through a blanket rule simply because other cases are inappropriate.

I understand that, but I'm curious as to what one would consider "appropriate" circumstance in, say, 3SA. If people want to have a discussion on the words they should go to the Senate. If they're using them in casual conversation anywhere on the boards I would say that it should be restricted. Someone going around 3SA putting "What's up my n****rs?!" at the end of every post, whether they mean to be offensive or not, is just going to cause problems.

You've all wisely decided to moderate intent, which is the best solution. I'm simply saying that, outside of The Senate, the intent will probably almost always be either malicious or mischievous in nature. I don't see how use of the words can be appropriate outside of a discussion concerning the words themselves.

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    I understand that, but I'm curious as to what one would consider "appropriate" circumstance in, say, 3SA. If people want to have a discussion on the words they should go to the Senate. If they're using them in casual conversation anywhere on the boards I would say that it should be restricted. Someone going around 3SA putting "What's up my n****rs?!" at the end of every post, whether they mean to be offensive or not, is just going to cause problems.

I agree.

My main point is that, especially here in Comms, we need to consider the general, less specific case first. Individual forums can tighten it down from there as needed. We shouldn't be making a unilateral decision for the whole boards that would illegitimately restrict one forum.

Since such action would be inappropriate in most forums under the case-by-case analysis, the general rule still applies to all of them without needing to tighten it down.

Kimball Kinnison

8. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Since such action would be inappropriate in most forums under the case-by-case analysis, the general rule still applies to all of them without needing to tighten it down.

I think we're talking about six of one, half dozen of another. :)

9. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    We used to say "I got jewed" in online gaming when someone would get a really random or lucky kill on us. Same with "I got gayed," so while I have no problem saying it (or anything, really), I can see why it really wouldn't work on these boards.

10. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Buddy, I gotta find you and hit you upside the head now. Sorry, but you and your friends perpetuated slanderous terms. It's not me; it's the Law. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.