main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Gen] RMFF General Movie discussion forum

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I enjoy Chicago more on the stage, than I did on the screen. It definitely takes a skewed view on murder, but for a stage-to-screen adaptation, I thought it was entertaining. It was nice to see two talented actresses performing the singing/dancing roles. As opposed to Mr. I'm very handsome and will bring star caliber, but don't belong in a Musical Gere...

And as much as I'm NOT a fan of Queen Latifah, I thought she did fairly well in her role.

Gimme Moulin Rouge anyday though...

...come what may...

2. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Elektra movie which is currently being developed by Mark Steven Johnson and Gary Foster for actress Jennifer Garner, "will begin production during Garner's series hiatus next summer."

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. :D

(and I didnt see Core, Chicago, or Moulin Rouge. [face_blush] )

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't think you missed anything on any of those accounts :p ;)

4. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Somewhere in Aurora, SB is doing the dance of joy

Yeah, months ago when I first heard of it. 8-}

They're planning on a Daredevil sequel as well as an Elektra spinoff

*SB*

5. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    lol, look at that attitude! well done ;)

CZJ is one of the hottest women to ever live on this planet, but I didn't make it through Chicacago. Got extremely bored and for some reason I really don't like Renee Zelweger(sp?). She really gets on my nerves. I'm also not a big fan of musicals that just look like it's only worth seeing (if even then) on stage. Oh, and I hate Queen Latifa. Spike TV had her at like #8 on their 100 sexiest women or something like that. SpikeTV is run by idiots.

Watched Malibu's Most Wanted tonight...defnitely a bad movie, but I thought it was pretty funny...fo rizzal! lol, good stuff.

Underworld in 4 days. If this movie sucks, I'll be surprised and upset.

6. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    WHOA there, Missy.

Serious point of contention here.

Moulin Rouge is DEFINITELY worth the view.

Some folks may find Luhrman's style a bit frenetic in spots, but considering the story he is telling (Rigoletto meets La Boheme) and the medium in which he is telling it, I would rank it easily in my top 10 fave films of all time. Now, granted some if the shtick may be over the top camp, nevertheless it suits the source material.

Great performances by Ewan Gregor & Nicole Kidman as well.

...come what may...

7. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    MIssy? ?[face_plain] :eek: Trying to remember the last time that was used in conjunction w/ me :p [face_laugh]

Okay, here's my deal... Baz Luhrman is not my cup of tea... Hated everything the guy has done so far

8. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    I agree with the bald one. :D

*SB*

9. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Moulin Rouge had a really captivating love story. And the casting is right on. Ewan can really portray hope, yearning, loss, and pain. I've probably watched it 10 times and I still cry at the end!

I hope that if they ever get Phantom of the Opera filmed it will have the same cinematic style and dead on casting. It felt like watching a play only the cameras were on stage the whole time. It looked like sets. It felt like the stage. And the music just rocked! I have both CD's in my car all the time.

Come What May is one of the most painful love songs ever.
    Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend!
    Can Can!
    Your Song (I love Elton John, but Ewan's version is better!)
    Roxanne!

This is one of the best musicals!

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.

Whew, was that a bit over the top?! :p

10. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
  11. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, Baz's style is either love it or leave it. Unfortunately, his recent foray onto Broadway with La Boheme was "left" by critics. So, I can understand why he might not fill Zoo's cupatay.

I still feel that "Come What May" was robbed of the Oscar, based purely on a ridiculous technicality.

Best Movie Musical...ever...

12. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    I think it's my fave musical movie too.

I liked Evita, but for different reasons. I thought it portrayed an ugly political and social situation very well.

And I actually liked Antonio as Che. I think better than I liked Madonna as Eva.

13. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Still prefer Patti Lupone at Evita from the original Broadway run :) [face_love] Man, I loved living near the Kennedy Center growing up :D

14. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Well, I prefer Michael Crawford as the Phantom. But the old fogie aint gonna get the part for the movie. We'll have to settle for another player.

Seen Phantom twice at the Buell. Once from the nosebleeds (second from last row on the very top balcony) and once from the 24th row main floor. Now those were good seats!

Haven't heard any rumors about this coming to film lately. Have to go do some research...

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Phantom Rumors

Looks like principal photography was supposed to begin yesterday. Release around end of 2004.

This should so NOT be rated R, but that is what the rumors are. I'll be upset. It is an adult story, but it is supposed to be a LOVE STORY, not a gore fest like the freddy kruger version ten years ago. Yuck.

16. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Personally, I recommend Leroux's original novel (circa 1910-ish). There is just so much more depth to the tortured character of the Phantom, and his love for Christine. It really speaks to his motivations, as opposed to the musical, which really only touches on the consequences.

Lloyd Weber = Spectacle...

17. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Actually, I would recommend "Phantom" by Susan Kay. It tells the whole story of Erik. From his traumatic birth through to the end of what is known about him from Lereaux's novel.

I read Lereaux's and liked it. But Kay's is inifinitely better. You really understand him.

Now that would be a great movie!

But we digress...

18. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Susan Kay, I forgot about her. I knew that someone had expounded on Leroux's backstory, but couldn't recall whom.

MMM...digression...good...

19. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    so anyway, I'm watching the Alias season 1 on DVD. Not a movie, but I didn't want to dig up the old thread on it. It's pretty friggin sweet and every episode is a cliffhanger. And now I consider Ash a crack dealer too, b/c I know I'm going to be addicted to this show as well...

I haven't even started watching my 24 season 2 yet b/c I got started on this show, argh! Still need to finish SG-1 and get them to Sarah...

Alias = good stuff. Jennifer Garner = VERY hot!

20. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Y'know, I need to check in on this thread more often. Then I could have linked you all to a piece of art much sooner in the conversation when it made more sense to do so.

Upon seeing Moulin Rouge, and coming to the opinion that Mr. McGregor looks better with that hair cut than he does with the psuedo-mullet and beard (though don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind running my fingers through all that hair... -=warm thoughts=-) I was 'forced' to use that innocent smile of his in a piece of art that was requested of me. And you all know what it's like getting me to draw anything. It's a dentistry session and a half these days. Even worse when living in the home of the Mother Unit, and yet, there it is.

Ok, 'nough ramblin' an' mo' aht!

[image=http://hometown.aol.com/illirogueilli/tim.jpg]

Please, forgive the glasses. Twas part of the request for art.

...And I'll drink all the time...

21. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    "so anyway, I'm watching the Alias season 1 on DVD. Not a movie, but I didn't want to dig up the old thread on it. It's pretty friggin sweet and every episode is a cliffhanger. And now I consider Ash a crack dealer too, b/c I know I'm going to be addicted to this show as well..."

Yes! :D ;)

*SB*

22. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Crack Dealer!!! ;)

23. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Ah yes, the ever-popular Tim McCrae...

I always thought he kinda looked like the Milo J. Thatch character from Atlantis.

Nicely done, FD.

24. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Michael J. Fox friggin rules.

25. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    ash: do you have tapes of season 2? What season is it on now? 3? argh, I'm gonna have to catch up somehow...