main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Gen] RMFF General Movie discussion forum

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, that's unfortunate to hear about TCM, I was kinda lookin' forward to a blood-n-guts fest.

Oh well...

Caught Intolerable Cruelty this weekend. It was fairly entertaining. Kinda watered-down Coen brothers, though. Definitely not their best work.

2. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, it appears that Jim Carrey is to become the next bionic wonder in Six Million Dollar Man . Of course, after adjusting for inflation, he will be the 391.4 Million Dollar Man.

3. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Could THIS be Ahnuld's last hurrah on the silver screen?

4. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
  5. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
  6. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    six million dollar man = ugh, another friggin old tv remade into a movie...ENOUGH ALREADY, HOLY CRAP!!!

pirates sequels = ugh, I don't see this movie as being sequel material. I thought it was an OUTSTANDING stand-alone movie, and it seems that's how it was intended...unlike the matrix which left a lot we all wondered about so sequels were expected. I just don't wanna see the pirates of the caribbean ruined...*shrug*

Alien vs. Predator = this movie as a high chance of sucking hard, but it also has a huge potential of being completely badass. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen at least a trailer. The thing I DON'T like about the story already is the aliens being in our past. We know from Predator 2 that the Predators have been gracing our lovely planet with their presence for quite a long time...but we didn't discover aliens until waaay in the future. Saying that they were on earth not only thousands of years ago, but today as well...I dunno, just sort of cheapens it all IMO.

7. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Anyone see Scary Movie 3 yet?

8. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Caught Radio over the weekend. It was pretty good, Cuba Gooding Jr. did a very decent job. I think I liked Remember the Titans better tho...

*SB*

9. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    RUDY!!!!!!!

10. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    "pirates sequels = ugh, I don't see this movie as being sequel material. I thought it was an OUTSTANDING stand-alone movie, and it seems that's how it was intended...unlike the matrix which left a lot we all wondered about so sequels were expected. I just don't wanna see the pirates of the caribbean ruined...*shrug*"

Hmmm, I thought the first Matrix had a definite end that required no sequel whatsoever. Of course, most movies do. The Matrix didn't really need sequels, I thought it did well as a stand-alone movie. The sequel however, definitely needs a sequel. I mean, it just ended. Pirates' sequels? I think I'll reserve judgement until I hear more about them. They could blow, or they could rock, but they can't ruin the original appeal of the first, for me anyway...

:D

*SB*

11. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    The first matrix had an end that had a bit of closure, but I still had TONS of questions after it was over. But there's not really much about the world of Will Turner that I'm dying know...

12. StarBlazer

Dec 2, 2001
    Alright, point taken. But you do have to admit, it would be fun learning about Captain Jack's time impersonating a cleric in the English church... 8-}

*SB*

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Caught Alien: Director's Cut this weekend on the big screen at the Continental. I don't think I'd ever actually seen the movie in a theater, so that was kinda cool. For the most part, the film stands the test of time, with only one particularly lame F/X shot not withstanding. Thumbs up recommendation for anyone out there that either hasn't ever seen the movie, or would like the big-screen experience.

14. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I am SUPER excited for Alien vs Predator.

And I am going to try and catch Alien in the theater. I'm pretty sure Ive only seen it on video.

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Home sick. Watched movies:

1) Charlie's Angels - Full Throttle. Sucked. In a good sorta way. Great eye candy. Fun to watch, but you gotta be willing to laugh at the cornballness of it all. Overall, C.

2) Hulk - Really liked it. Felt like a comic book. SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW to get started, but told a really great story. Good filmmaking. Rating A.

3) Indiana Jones - Bonus CD - Making of's.
    Fun stuff. But the Making of Last Crusade won't play!!!! Gonna have to take 'em back and exchange em for good ones!

16. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    saw Alien friday night after hiding from trick or treaters and then saw Brother Bear on sunday before work.

Alien is always good. One of my favorite movies.

Brother Bear was not bad either. Although it seemed like it was only an hour long, if that. Oh well. Overall, it was ok. All the children loved it, which is what matters. It's always good to see kid movies when 98% of the movies out these days are rated R

17. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    New Punisher full trailer just hit the apple Quicktime site.

Hmm....Thomas Jane looks the part, and the action looks great. I'm not sure about the plot, it looks like a standard single situation revenge scenario rather than Frank Castle against all crime. That's really not the Punisher story I would want to see.

But the trailer looks real good.

18. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    looks god awful.

Vinnie Jones... Vinnie Jones...

They really missed the perfect casting part for Frank. This movie isn't the Punisher... it's Grand Theft Auto Vice City the Movie. Just because some of Garth Ennis'characters are in this one (The Russian, Joan, Spacker Dave, Mr. Bumpo, etc.) This one is gonna tank. But hey...hopefully we get saturation of Punisher comics, I'll be way happy if they do :)

Saw Matrix today. I'm kicking myself for only getting 3 hours of sleep to see this for its first showing lol only 4 more hours of work! and then a bunch of sleep.

19. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Caught Matrix last night. Need some more time to process it. Perhaps the add'l viewing tomorrow night will help...

20. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Caught Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night. S'been a while since I saw the original, so I can't really comment on how the two compare. In fact, I seem to have more memories of the second TCM than the first.

This movie was fairly violent and gory. Obviously, given the subject matter/title, it could've been MUUUUUUCH moreso. In fact, I was hoping/expecting more in the graphic, visceral area. If Tarantino can get away with it in Kill Bill, why not here?

Also, surprisingly there are no gratuitous nude shots. Don't get me wrong, Jessica bounces in all the right places, but it's all left up to your imagination as to what exactly is jigglin' beneath that crop-top.

There were a couple of genuine, startling, scream out-loud girlie style moments in the movie, but they were unfortunately few and far between. Some decent suspense, but nothing remarkable. I think the most disturbing aspect is the characters. There are some NASTY in-bred types runnin' around causin' all sorts of trouble in this film. Although, I think the producers tapped almost every stereotype for this one.

So, overall, kinda suspenseful, kinda gory, kinda entertaining. But, not much more than that. Must review the original to see how it stands the test of time.

21. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Oh, and as an interesting side note, for those of you familiar with Harry Knowles of AICN infamy. Harry, well rather, Harry's head has a brief cameo in Texas Chainsaw Massacre...glasses and all...

22. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Caught Love Actually this past weekend. What a great flick. For those of you that liked Four Weddings & a Funeral, or just appreciate the British take on film in general, I would definitely recommend this flick.

23. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Just finished watching the most depressing film ever made, The Jimmy Show, written, directed, and starring Frank Whaley.

I was totally unfamiliar with the film, it caught my eye in the video store because i'm a fan of Frank Whaley as a character actor, had no idea he was directing.

It's very well made, the performances were brilliant, and I was impressed that he never gave in and gave a sappy hollywood ending, he stayed true to his story all the way through.

It was depressing as he$$ though. Or uplifting if you think "after seeing Jimmy's life, i'm doing ok" :)

24. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    About to watch Holes, the other film I rented, hopefully it will turn the afternoon around :)

25. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Anyone seen Timeline or Master & Commander yet? I'm thinkin' about catchin' one of 'em tonight.