main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Gen] RMFF General Movie discussion forum

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    The Last Samurai.

One of the best movies I've ever seen. We've seen a lot of movies like this before with Dances with Wolves, and others. But this movie is the best of them all. I will be extremely suprised if this does not win best picture. I loved how the story flowed and also liked the fact that they told almost NOTHING in the trailer. It was definitely one hell of a movie. I will be seeing this again and again while it's in theaters. :)

2. buffy_wine

buffy_wine Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2003
    So the TMNT would be perfect for this movie because of the ninjutsu style. Wow JO, you actually liked something this time! ;)

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Just remembered a really cheesy 80's movie.... Saturday the 14th... Anyone besides Michael & I ever see this fine piece of cinema? :p

4. Priest-Holmes-Fan

Priest-Holmes-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    im glad to hear good things from JO about last samurai... im tired of people sayin that tom cruise is a horrible actor... he may not be too dynamic but i usually enjoy his movies... who doesnt love top gun? anyways...

i read some stuff by that denver post critic lisa kennedy about last samurai and she slammed it for having cheesy dialog and a story that goes nowhere... then i remembered that this particular critic said that matrix reloaded was a "poor mans 'charlies angels' movie for guys" and ever since then, i havent given her much credibility... likewise, she gave charlies angels 2 a good review i believe... strange? i think so.

5. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Saturday the 14th, that brings back a memory or two. :D

6. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Cool! Someone else who's watched bad movies... On purpose [face_laugh]

7. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I was wondering if you were going to think of that when I posted earlier, it made me think of it.

Richard Benjamin - boy did he have a good 70s and a bad 80s :)

He's pretty much been directing for the last 15 or so years.

8. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
  9. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Caught Bad Santa on Friday. A couple of words come to mind in describing this film:

Disturbing
    Disgusting
    Depressing

That's not to say that I didn't like or enjoy it, though. It's one of those movies that makes you uncomfortable at what you're laughing at. The movie even goes so far as to make fun of its own, veritable, un-political correctness.

When I say disgusting, it wasn't just a matter of filthy dialogue and constant profanity. Some of the themes in the film are very base in their human nature, and ultimately disgusting.

Granted, the Coen's apparently weren't the primary screen writers on it, nevertheless, it was a bit darker than I anticipated. But then again, I don't think I've seen them do anything this dark since Fargo.

This movie was entertaining and amusing, in its own very peculiar way.

LOTS of profanity, but it didn't seem unnecessarily gratuitous. Still, if you're not a fan of the f-bomb, I'd avoid this flick.

Billy Bob's character is beyond loser. Alcoholic, drunkard, verbally abusive, ex-con, petty-thief, womanizer. The only thing truly honest about him, is the completely up-front way in which he interacts with everyone around him. He doesn't pull any punches, and calls everything exactly the way he sees it, sometimes brutally so.

In fact, he's such a jerk, that it's almost impossible to feel sorry, or even pity for him. Almost. He does possess a fractured form of honor that he adheres to somewhat reluctantly. When the eventual, cathartic moment arrives, he is somewhat redeemed.

This movie also marked John Ritter's last, and was dedicated in his memory. He gave a nice performance in his small role, in true Ritter fashion. RIP...

I give it a thumbs up, but it's definitely NOT for everyone.

10. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Also rented Wrong Turn this weekend. Boy, Wrong Turn is an understatement. This movie was never on-course long enough to make a wrong turn.

It's your typical teen-slasher gore flick scenario. You've got your back-woods, in-bred, genetic/mutant freakazoids hackin' away at "innocent" campers, backpackers and the like in rural, mountainous, decidedly deciduous West Virginia.

Stan Winston did the makeup "creature" effects for the film, and it's a bit too obvious. These "brothers" look like extras who didn't quite make the final cut of Lord of the Rings Orucai/Goblin army.

There's plenty of gore, especially involving the delectable young female victims. Although, no nudity. In fact, I think the screenwriter had some serious female issues with the way these chicks were dispatched.

This movie is as cross-bred as its antagonists. Shades of Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Deliverance, and just about any other notable slasher flick make their presence known. In fact, the only real entertainment value that I derived from it was trying to guess which stolen movie plot/cliche I was watching now.

To be honest, I rented this solely to see Eliza Dushku in a featured film role. Well, the producers may have highlighted her participation as a marketing ploy, but otherwise, her character is just another running, screaming, endangered, non-naked hottie in the woods. I wouldn't qualify her role in the movie so much as a performance, but rather as meager participation. At least the other prominent hot chick wasn't wearing a bra...AND SHE had a gruesome, although not particularly graphic demise.

Can't say I'm overly impressed with Ms. Dushku's dramatic abilities thus far in her career. I'm beginning to think she peaked while kickin' Buffy's pert little butt.

Let's face it, why do we watch these movies???

Because we want to see the stereotypical, vapid, clueless teenagers that abused US as kids, get theirs in the end...literally...and in as a grotesque, demeaning, and humiliating way as possible, preferrably while they're naked.

This movie lacked suspense, plot development, character development, ANY kind of development.

One of the supporting characters was relatively amusing, in a sarcastic, quasi-Eric Bogosian sort of way. His predictable death was wholly ungratifying.

The mountains were pretty, and the score was nice.

It's times like these that you wish you had more than 2 thumbs, so that you can really give the movie a fair rating. Of course, if you had more than 2 thumbs, you could've starred in this movie...

Trust me, if you see this one sittin' on the shelf at Blockbuster, steer well clear of that aisle, lest you yourself take a very...Wrong...Turn...

11. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Did you really expect it to be good? I mean come on...first of, it stars Eliza Dushku... that's reason enough for it to stink. She's hot and all but come on. Teens lost in the woods. Same ol' story. The part where the girl gets half of her head cut off was sweet ass though. The rest of it was just boring. But that's what we expect for these types of movies. Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. Same story, same characters, the only thing different is how people die. I waited for DVD for this one and even then I didn't go out and get it on my own accord. I waited until someone here at work brought it in and we all watched it.

Bad Boys II comes out tomorrow on DVD, best popcorn action movie ever. I swear, everything in that flick explodes or catches fire or flies into the air, spinning, while shooting pieces of itself all over lol

12. yodaman12002

yodaman12002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2003
    you know what a good movie is, the princess bride
    lafe out loud funny.
    and it has rous's in it, whats not to like

13. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, Princess Bride is definitely a classic.

Anybody picked up the Alien Quadrilogy yet? I'm curious as to how the extra 30-minutes affects Fincher's story for Alien3.

14. yodaman12002

Oct 24, 2003
    i wish i could, i have never seen any of the alien movies

15. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Stacy,

it's the workprint version of Alien 3, which was supposed to be very very cool. There were a lot of crucial scenes that were cut from Alien 3 but were on the workprint that made a lot of shots that were confusing in the theatrical version, make a sense. I remember reading reviews of the workprint version years ago online. If anything, it would probably be worth getting that just for the workprint alien 3. The Original Alien comes on 2 discs, one for the original and another for the director's cut I believe although I'm not really sure. I just know that I'm going to get this box set because the Alien movies are good fun :)

16. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    I just wished I had known about Quadrilogy before I bought the FIRST 4-movie DVD set last year...

JO, thanx for the info. It's definitely the workprint, as Fincher refused to participate in the Quadrilogy effort, and re-work an "official" Director's Cut. I hear that the commentaries also unfortunately reflect this, since their done solely by Fox-studio personnel.

I'd also love to hear Joss Whedon's justification for the Alien: Resurrection screenplay, but alas, that is also not to be found...

17. Priest-Homely

Priest-Homely Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    they show an interview with him every time they show Alien: Ressurrection on AMC...of all of the Alien movies, WHY WHY WHY do they show this one on AMERICAN MOVIE CLASSICS??????????

18. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
  19. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, it's not movie related, but I couldn't find the Enterprise discussion thread, and didn't want to start a new one.

So, here's a link to some rumors indicating that next season will be the final one for the UPN series.

20. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Uma Thurman set to co-star with John Travolta in the sequel to Get Shorty

21. Priest-Homely

Priest-Homely Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2003
    ahem...there's an enterprise discussion thread on the SCFF board...

22. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Been there, done that...

Can't believe I had to endure the Purple board to post that...

23. buffy_wine

buffy_wine Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2003
    I never saw the previews for Bad Santa, but from the poster I thought it looked pretty bad! Princess Bride is a movie that I really like too!

24. yodaman12002

Oct 24, 2003
    bad santa scares me and i have never seen it. the made one of the gilmor girls do odd things i hear, never want to see that one

25. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Spider Man 2 trailer to be available online Monday, Dec. 15, and in theatres Wednesday, Dec. 17.

Hmmmm....attached to RotK methinks...