main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Gen] RMFF General Movie discussion forum

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Aug 11, 2003.

1. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Mistress, here's my list of recommendations for classics:

To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Women
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
    Bringing Up Baby
    Arsenic & Old Lace
    The Quiet Man
    A Patch of Blue
    Breakfast at Tiffany's (A Hepburn only)
    Wait Until Dark
    Mildred Pierce
    "M" (German subtitles only - 1939)
    Sunset Boulevard
    The Snake Pit
    All About Eve
    The Three Faces of Eve
    The Longest Day
    All Quiet on the Western Front (the original)
    City Lights
    Anything starring Mae West in B&W... You should have seen at least one to count yourself a true broad in this country.

That's a good spectrum of movies to use as a base for things prior to the 70's.

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    Saw 2 movies this weekend and both had their merits

"Got Milk" - If you aren't a Sean Penn fan, then stay away, because it's all Sean, all the time in this one. And even those of us that usually like him on the screen know that it can be hit or miss with his pet projects. While I don't think this was a "hit", it also was far from a miss. It started slow, got a little rough to follow for a short while, but by the second half of the movie it really hit its stride. That being said, Sean Penn acted the *excrement* out of this part. Anyone who has ever seen any documentary footage of the late Harvey Milk will be shocked at how damn fantastic Penn came to the original. I see him getting nod for his portrayal, but given his history with the awards folks, the nod is all he'll get from it. Probably a *don't miss* when it hits the DVD circuit.

"Frost/Nixon" - Phenomenally done. The format almost felt like a real time documentary, and it handled the gritty underbelly of that media vein very well, all without getting boring (a tough feat with things like production costs, logistics and ad revenue). They also did a remarkable job of capturing the times. For those of us around in March 1977, it will feel very familiar. The entire cast was superb, but the standout performance for me was Frank Langella. He brought more arrogance, humanity and soul to Richard Nixon than I ever thought possible, and never once did he cross the line into a farcical depiction of the man. If this kind of thing has any appeal for you, then I highly recommend this film. Definite Oscar potential on this for sure.

The last film was seen at the new Landmark Theatre at Greenwood... It's actually in the "Shops @ Landmark" luxury district that they've been trying to get off the ground. If there's a movie you want to see there, I would recommend you giving it a try. The sticker shock might scare you, because paying $24.50 for two people to go to the movie seems steep. But then you learn that soft drinks and popcorn (unlimited, mind you) are included in the ticket price. Not to mention, it has to be the single most comfortable theatre experience I have ever encountered. I can't even begin to describe it to you. But imagine this... My friend Mike (picture one of the twins, only bigger) and I sat in adjacent seats, with plenty of elbow room, leg room, no obstructions, no seat kicking, and with room for our drinks and popcorn at all times. Oh yeah, and they have a bar in the theatre, too.

3. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Saw Twilight, finally. Not bad, but the sparkly part was kinda underwhelming. I did like the casting and the acting for the most part, and I found Bella to be much less angsty since we weren't trapped inside her head for the duration. Effects were good, fights were good. Color pallette was good. Could have done without some of the Baz Luhumann School of Editing cuts, but I'm prolly just getting old or something. There was a nice lack of teen girls at my screening. It pays to go a month late at midnight, I guess.

Oh, Mistress, for your classics list: Man of la Mancha & Forbidden Planet

4. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    I went and saw "The Spirit" yesterday morning.

I love that Comics has hit the Movies the last few years but I couldn't always see some things translating to film.

I think this may be one of those moments. If you have ever read any pulp fiction mags of the 50's or even read Wil Eisner's Spirit, it's classic stuff. That real gritty, detective, rough sorta character with the most beautiful women and seducing them all. Wil's sequential style of drawing was awesome for the times. IMO

I think Frank was really trying to bring Wil's style to the Silver Screen and though pretty cool visually, the movie kinda missed a plot more or less. The performances seemed silly at times but then, that harkens back to the comic and it's style. If you don't know The Spirit comic, you may not like the film. I'm no expert on The Spirit but I have read some but mostly cuz I like Wil's style of Art and I know Frank does too. They became friends before he passed away and I think this is a tribute to Wil.

It might be in your wallet's best interest to wait for DVD. [face_peace]

5. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    My brother took me and Bean and nephew (and slacker brother too) to the movies on Christmas Eve...and we saw The Tale of Despereaux. It was very good. There were a few scary parts, and Bean spent most of the movie curled on my lap...but all in all a good movie for little ones.

We got home and my parents asked her about the movie...they asked what the mouse does and she said, "He is a gentleman." It was very cute.

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    See, I actually liked it for all those things. It did take the genre and translated it well to the big screen. It was supposed to be campy and a little silly. It was gritty, and it took serious things and presented them in the same comic style, while appealing both visually and intellectually. I think the problem with so many of these kinds of adaptations is that they either make them a farce, or they take themselves far too seriously. This was presented in the style and substance as the original material, and I really liked it.

7. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Loved the Spirit. Was amazing.

And... ohgawdno

8. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    But...the original is...perfect is its horribleness.... How could they possibly. How.... My brain hurts now.
    [face_hypnotized]

9. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    there is another WWII movie coming out. Defiance. i reallllllllly want to see this.

10. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Watched Wanted last night on my brothers new blueray player. Holy cow! I dont know how that movie slipped past my radar, must be my jealous hatred of Miss Jolie...but what a movie! Absolutely awesome.

11. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    It was good..she was WAY too thin in that movie though. ;)

I went to see Slumdog Millionaire. Very cool...

watching the SAG's right now...they are honoring James Earl Jones....Very very cool!

12. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    What blew my mind was that she had just had a kid when she filmed that movie...well, the kid was like a year old, but still!! Humph. :rolleyes:

I want to see SlumDog, but unfortunately it is not being shown here in P-town. Go figure. o_O

13. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    We watched Wanted this weekend too. I contented myself in the fact that it's her job to look good, and also, he face is starting to look a little ... oldish. :D Yes, that's it. Now I feel better about myself :p

14. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Underworld 3 was great

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I watched First Blood and Rambo 2 on TV today. Probably the first time I've seen [the edited for time and edited for language versions of] both movies from start to finish. :p

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    watching defience tonite...will let you know how it is. :) 007 takes on the nazis!!!

17. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    just got done watching defiance. such a good movie! i won't say anything else, except it should have gotten more press.

18. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I watched My Bloody Valentine 3D last week. The 3D was pretty cool. And for slasher/horror films it wasn't bad. At least it had my boy Jensen in it!!

19. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I saw 3D Valentine too. Lots of fun.

20. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    Going to the movies tonight...Underworld or Mallcop?

21. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Watched Mamma Mia with Bean last night. We loved it! Great chick flick (if you like ABBA). [face_dancing]

22. ZOOfo-Dyas

Oct 3, 2004
    So pretty. [face_love]

[image=http://www.ohmygore.com/movies/x_men_origins_wolverine/37.jpg]

23. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    =P~

Thanks, again, Zoo!

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    *pout* it is blocked at work!!! boohoo! If it hugh jackman then yes i must agree.

25. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001

really? underworld looks good. MBV looks like it could be good. i dont remember the original so i wouldnt even compare it