main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] rules and policies involving sexual harrasment and minors

Discussion in 'Communications' started by SithBoy19, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithBoy19

SithBoy19 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2004
    I was wondering whats considered sexual harrassment and also Cybersex via Pms allowed or not allowed. And also minors what about them.
    Just because someone is underage of consent is it ok to cybesex with them or is it a bannable offense.

Especially if someone lies about their age so that it appears a guy is 18 and the girl is say 16.
    I guess what I am asking is what constitutes internet pedophilia and what doesnt here on the boards.

And what is the line when it comes to a guy who is say 30 and a girl who is obviously underage flirting. Is it bannable or not. Should he be banned. Or just reprimanded publicly by the mods.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I dunno about the US, but in the UK, a crime is only committed if they arrange to meet. ie say a 40 year old guy pretends to be 17, and tries to set up a meeting with a 15 year old girl with the intent to have sex. When he suggests they meet I think that is the point a crime is committed.

The problem anyone faces on TFn is that no-one really know's who anyone else really is.

I'm confident if anything was reports to the mods/admins that users who were only here to pick up other users would probably get warned and or banned.

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    But would it be obvious if one of the parties involved were underage? There's no way for mods to know how old someone is if the person chooses to lie about it, and it's more difficult than one might think to determine a person's demographic info just by reading posts. I can tell you I consider myself a decent reader, but I still got fooled plenty of times.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    yes but what if someone already revealed it to someone else including their age.

5. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    If a member feels that they are being ahrrased, via PM's or in public posts, they are free to take it to the forum mod(s), and if it the situation is not resolved to their satisfaction, then the Head Admin.

Private Messages are private, and admins do not log in to read them unless in extreme cirsumstances. What you do in your pm's is your own buisness. If you're being harrased in pm's, however, see the above paragraph.

And what is the line when it comes to a guy who is say 30 and a girl who is obviously underage flirting. Is it bannable or not. Should he be banned. Or just reprimanded publicly by the mods.

E-Flirting is not a bannable offense, even if one party is underage. As long as it stays this side of the TOS, isn't spamming, and is concentual by both members, (as far as I know) the Administration has no problem with it.

If it's not concensual (IE you're continually badgered by a user who's trying to flirt with you), then tell them to stop (nicely). If they don't, then it would be harrasment, and you would see the first paragraph again.

¤Night

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I was wondering whats considered sexual harrassment and also Cybersex via Pms allowed or not allowed.

Harassment would be any unwelcome behavior either of a sexual or non-sexual behavior that causes the recipient to feel uncomfortable or in fear of bodily harm.

Would you think that based on the view of these boards as "family-friendly" that Cybersex would be allowed here? There are plenty of chat programs that allow that kind of behavior. That said, PM's aren't read on a regular basis so there's no reason to read someone's PM's unless there's a serious investigation going on.

And also minors what about them.
    Just because someone is underage of consent is it ok to cybesex with them or is it a bannable offense.

Hell. No. Under no circumstances would it be allowed to have a cybersex relationship with someone underage on the boards. But as Beth said, there's no 100% method of verifying age unless they are known personally by someone on the boards.

Especially if someone lies about their age so that it appears a guy is 18 and the girl is say 16.

Hey...it's the internet. People lie. So don't tempt fate by instigating a cybersex relationship with someone whom you've never met and know nothing about.

I guess what I am asking is what constitutes internet pedophilia and what doesnt here on the boards.

Engaging in a sexual relationship with someone under the legal age of consent.

Flirting isn't a bannable offense. I've seen plenty of underage/adult flirting going on around here, but that doesn't cross the boundary of a sexual relationship. Creepy and gross? Yes. Bannable? That's questionable.

The problem anyone faces on TFn is that no-one really know's who anyone else really is.

That's what IP checks are for. :p

Seriously, though, harassment of any form is punishable on the boards. If anyone feels they are being harassed, they should contact a moderator immediately. Administrators can check PM's if necessary to investigate a situation.

7. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Like I said in my Online Discrimination thread, no one has any real idea how old anyone else on the JC is. (unless they have met that person). Therfore, until the two in question meet, no one can claim the one person to be a child predator.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Sithboy...
    "and also Cybersex via Pms allowed or not allowed."

From the Rules of Conduct for use of this site:
    • "User agrees not to post material that is... sexually oriented..."
    From the Terms of Service for your use of this site:
    • "User agrees that this Agreement in its entirety applies to both public and private messages."
    Taken together, your agreement to not post anything of a sexual nature does indeed extend to PMs.

If one breaks either the Rules of Conduct or the Terms of Service, they may find their use of this site may be restricted.

9. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I really don't think any two people cybering via private messages will be messaging a mod and reporting it.

On a completely unrelated note, however, I don't think pmsgs are the way to go where cybersex is concerned. Get an instant messenger, please.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Kyp...
    "I really don't think any two people cybering via private messages will be messaging a mod and reporting it."

Well, it is really just "FYI." Given that it has already occurred, you ought to be aware of the consequences of using TF.N to "cyber." The Rules of Conduct and Terms of Service are very clear on the matter of "cybering" via PM. It's not allowed. Therefore, if you break either the Rules of Conduct or the Terms of Service, then you simply ought to know your privileges may be impacted for doing so.

11. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface.

Haha master of the single entendre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.