main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Sexual Harrassment and policies and procedures

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Thats right tonight in this thread
    http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/16510195/p3/?107

the user was discussing any female users getting harrassing emails. After many responses I did my best to educate many of the users on the problem and the consequences. This is a problem that is occuring as we speak. Right now there are users mostly guys pming woman for sexual favors, Sex and just harrassment in general. I know this sounds untrue but I have dealt with certain users guilty of this. And no its not one victim. Its many. Katya Jade and Raven have been a big help in corraling these perverts. But we need to do something as a community.

The woman and the girls that come here must be protected.
    They must be Educated.

And finally they need to be empowered to fight back against such harrassment.

And they need to know that the entire Mod Squad is there for them. Not just quoting the TOS anytime something bad happens.

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THE TOS WILL HELP A VICTIM!

No it wont. We need to be proactive as a website.

Katya Jade is helping me out but in all seriousness we cant do this alone. We need your help. The users need your help.

What I am asking is for a more than just a addition to the TOS I want something the Users can see thats posted visible. A guide that Katya is coming up with needs to be posted in every forum so the users know they have a place to turn to.

Plus I believe we should partner with ISafe. Its an American Organization dedicated to educating teachers students, and parents the dangers of the internet. And they also Train Law Enforcement on tracking down Sexual Predators here on the net. Its imperative we do this before it is too late. The site is growing the fans are growing and the possibilities of something bad happening will happen soon. We need to act now.

Okay, I believe we're done. A procedure should be forthcoming in a few weeks or so. Any concerns regarding harassment should be brought up to a moderator or admin. Thank you.

2. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Didn't you start a thread for the hottest women on the JC?
    _jOBO

3. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    * reads opening post *

[face_laugh]

I think you are little bit too serious ;)

4. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    If they stop accepting PMs from the person harassing them they can no longer send any more to the user.

Otherwise, sexual harassment should not be treated any differently than any other type of harassment on these boards.

If anyone reveals any sort of personal information about themselves on an internet message board it opens them up to focused harassment, be it sexual, racial, religious, or whatever.

Bottom line, you make the choice to make your info public, you accept the possibility that dumbasses will target you because of it. Punishment should be the same across the board for ALL types of harassment on these forums, meaning I would expect ANY serial harasser, whether they are amking sexual or racist remarks, to be banned.

Acting to "protect the WOMENZ!!!11" on their behalf is pretty damned demeaning. And if a female poster takes the unwanted advances they are getting as seriously as you apparently are, I would say the internet probably isn't the best place for them.

5. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I hate to break it to you bob but most of the victims I dealt with didnt post their info online. They were chosen at random by the predator.

Ignoring the pm will only let the victim be free of the Predator. But without intervention he will strike at another target.

Thats like saying a woman deserves to be raped because she wore a nice dress.

And Comet I can tell by your age you dont know enough about the world we live in to make a judgement. I have seen what these guys can do. Ok.

And I am mentioning Sexual Harrassment because its prevalence. Regular harrassment also happens and should be dealt with the same way.

6. MITH

MITH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    harrassment has ass in it! lolol!1

7. Jobo

Aug 14, 2000
    Regular harrassment also happens and should be dealt with the same way.

And you just made this thread useless.
    _jOBO

8. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    I hate to break it to you bob but most of the victims I dealt with didnt post their info online. They were chosen at random by the predator.

Then how did the predator know they were female?

Ignoring the pm will only let the victim be free of the Predator. But without intervention he will strike at another target.

So why doesn't the victim just report the predator to a mod and let the mod deal with it? If there is evidence of harassment (meaning the person was asked to stop and refused) then the offender will be banned. End of story.

Thats like saying a woman deserves to be raped because she wore a nice dress.

You have no right to insinuate that I said anything like that.

And I am mentioning Sexual Harrassment because its prevalence. Regular harrassment also happens and should be dealt with the same way

If it is so prevelant on the boards, why has it not been an issue before?

And again, why should it be treated any differently than regular harassment? You have yet to explain this.

[b]Regular harrassment also happens and should be dealt with the same way.[/b]

[i]And you just made this thread useless.[/i]

And he's right, you have no point now.

9. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Unfortunately JOBO I made this thread for all sorts of harrassment to be spot lighted. Most users are harrassed in a one time deal. Its not like someone goes and harrasses as many people as possible at random for weeks on end.

Sexual Harrassers are different.

They seek victims but the boatloads.

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Most users are harrassed in a one time deal. Its not like someone goes and harrasses as many people as possible at random for weeks on end.

Sexual Harrassers are different.

They seek victims but the boatloads.

PPOR.

While you're doing that, why not lock this thread and repost your thoughts in this thread from Page 2

11. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Bob I am looking to do something about the problem.

Not talk it to death like so many other problems here on the Comms.

Action Bob not Talk.

Say what you will about harrassment or sexual harrassment but more needs to be done.

YOu found the one thing about it on the second page.

Yet how many users would know where to look.

Thats my point.

Action not endless words.

12. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Bob I am looking to do something about the problem.

You see, the only problem is that you have provided no evidence really about the epidemic nature of this problem on the boards.

Not talk it to death like so many other problems here on the Comms.

Action Bob not Talk.

Taking action without thinking and talking about it leads to a lot of problems and/or unnecessary rules/work.

Say what you will about harrassment or sexual harrassment but more needs to be done.

What exactly can be done that isn't already happening?

YOu found the one thing about it on the second page.

Yet how many users would know where to look.

Thats my point.

How many users are affected by the problem? Any mod could direct them to that thread, but a harassed user must first contact a mod. Nothing can be done until then.

Actionot endless words.

Words are needed to make a valid point, which you have not done yet. Why not use some more words to justify this fantabulous freakout you seem to be having tonight?

13. MITH

MITH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    beezels getting told.

14. Jobo

Aug 14, 2000
    Beezel, the policy on harrassment is already clear.

STEP ONE: Wait to be harrassed.
    STEP TWO: Tell admin of harrassment once it occurs.
    STEP THREE: Do whatever the admin says from hereon.
    STEP FOUR: Wait to be harrassed.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    _jOBO

15. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Jobo is right. And a Ben Folds fan, which makes him doubly cool.

You can't just come in and start demanding that "action be taken right away, argument be damned". You aren't helping by insinuiating that those who disagree believe that women deserve harassment.

If everyone who came into comms demanded immediate reform got it without having to provide examples, proof of need, and a valid argument this place would fall apart quickly.

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    First of all, we are limited in what we can or cannot respond to.

If some form of harrassment is happening off the boards, there is virtually nothing that we can do. It is outside our jurisdiction, and we have no way to really investigate or confirm the actual events. Without being able to reliably investigate, there is no way we can take reliable action.

However, if any sort of harrassment occurs on the boards, all you ahve to do is contact any mod. they will help investigate and deal with the situation. If the harrassment involved PMs, contact an admin whi can verify the harrassment and take the appropriate actions.

Beyond that, there really isn't much that we can do.

Kimball Kinnison

17. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I don't think this is something we need to start an awareness campaign for or anything. If you have a problem, take it to a mod. that's the general rule for most things, and I think even n00bs can figure that one out. Any mod can take care of the situation, or quickly direct them to someone else who can do a better job.

I don't really understand what you think still needs to be done.

EDIT: The woman and the girls that come here must be protected.
    They must be Educated.

And honestly, that is sort of offensive. Also, it is not up to the JC to provide this sort of thing. what's next... sexual education? Promoting safe sex?

18. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Beyond that, there really isn't much that we can do.

Beyond that there isn't much more that you SHOULD do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest liberal, sensitive male, power to the people person I know, but I know when some topics are being blown way out of proportion or are attempting to have special treatment thrust upon them when it really isn't necessary, and this is one of those times.

Freaking out and running to comms with "Mah gawd! I must protect the womenz!1" isn't helping anyone, and it's a tad sexist. Allow the users being harassed to help themselves, don't try to play Big Brother RoboCop, especially if there isn't a recurring problem.

You said it yourself Beezle, sexual harassment should be treated just like any other harassment, and the guidelines and consequences of that have already been covered.

19. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    From original post: I want something the Users can see thats posted visible. A guide that Katya is coming up with needs to be posted in every forum so the users know they have a place to turn to.

I really think this might be a good idea. I am in no way insinuating that there is a sexual harrassment problem that needs to be dealt with on the JC. In fact, I've always felt very safe on these boards. However, if I may suggest that the "guide" be a little broader to include basic tips for being safe on the internet, how to recognize a potentially dangerous situation, and what to do in these situations. This would not just apply to women. The fact is that there are many JCers under the age of 18, and while TF.N is, in my opinion, an extremely well organized and safe site, there are always certain risks when it comes to the internet. I know that there have been several reactions so far of "don't fix what isn't broken," but I feel that a very general guide on internet safety may prevent future problems that could occur. Promoting awareness of the risks of the internet may seem to be beating a dead horse to some of us, but there may be some who will appreciate the effort. Besides, I don't think reminding us of some of the dangers that exist on the internet will do us any harm, but it just might do some good. Just my 2 cents. :)

20. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    TheForce.net already requires users to be at least 13, consenting to this act and, if under 13, to have their parents fill out and sign this form. Perhaps the age limit should be raised, but at this point the US government considers someone who is 13 old enough to make wise decisions on the Internet.

One has to ask at which point it becomes TF.Ns responsibility to protect people from themselves.

However, if I may suggest that the "guide" be a little broader to include basic tips for being safe on the Internet, how to recognize a potentially dangerous situation, and what to do in these situations. This would not just apply to women. The fact is that there are many JCers under the age of 18, and while TF.N is, in my opinion, an extremely well organized and safe site, there are always certain risks when it comes to the Internet.

The Terms of Service covers the material you describe to TF.N as is relates to the JC Boards and the user's experience on them.

Expanding the information for the Internet on the whole may actually become a liability for TF.N, not to mention leading to the conflict of moderating actions that don't occur on the boards themselves. In other words, as soon as a mod says "Johnny can't talk to Suzy using dirty words on the JC, and he can't do it on AIM either or we'll ban him here" they open a whole can of worms. It also expands the sphere of responsiblity to a size the mods cannot control.

It would really be best if the Administration stuck to posting rules and guidelines it can and will enforce, rather than making policy out of what should be common sense for an unsupervised net user.

21. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Please, this thread is such a farce when you realise who started it. It should be locked.

Right now there are users mostly guys pming woman for sexual favors

That is NOT the case. Not every guy in the JC PMS women looking for sex.

22. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I may suggest that the "guide" be a little broader to include basic tips for being safe on the internet, how to recognize a potentially dangerous situation, and what to do in these situations.

Good idea, but in general is a really hard job to make everybody read it if they make that type of thread. Also there are times when you can't find if this person is really trying to get more from you. Sometimes you can get confuse about some type of words. Still I think that everybody who post in here are mature enough to understand and read when something is not right.

TheForce.net already requires users to be at least 13, consenting to this act and, if under 13, to have their parents fill out and sign this form. Perhaps the age limit should be raised, but at this point the US government considers someone who is 13 old enough to make wise decisions on the Internet.

How do you know if this new user or old user is 13 or over 13 years old?

Right now there are users mostly guys pming woman for sexual favors

I could not find that sentence but I might too tired right now. I think that user was not talking in general.

23. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000

How do you know if this new user or old user is 13 or over 13 years old?

We don't know for sure, but for liability purposes TF.N must state that anyone under 13 needs to have parental consent in written form. It's a US law, and TF.N is hosted in the US. Basically we have to take a new user's word for it, but if they lied then TF.N is not responsible for any ill consequences of their being on the board. Telling them what they should and shouldn't and can and can't do on other parts of the internet might result in not so good things if any sort of "safety guidelines" become officially sanctioned.

24. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    know that there have been several reactions so far of "don't fix what isn't broken," but I feel that a very general guide on internet safety may prevent future problems that could occur. Promoting awareness of the risks of the internet may seem to be beating a dead horse to some of us, but there may be some who will appreciate the effort. Besides, I don't think reminding us of some of the dangers that exist on the internet will do us any harm, but it just might do some good. Just my 2 cents.

Thats what I am trying to say. Reminders on the dangers.

Its like the Safety belt chime on your car. It goes off if you dont have your seat belt on. Its supposed to be a constant reminder to you of the dangers of not having your seat belt.

And Droideka I apologize about saying Educated. poor choice of words.

25. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    The woman and the girls that come here must be protected.
    They must be Educated.

I think that everyone has a right to be protected and educated, not just the female side of it. However I don't think it is, or should be TF.N's responsibility.

The TOS protects people to a certain degree, but if you really want to educate people against stalkers or harassers, then you should post a link in your sig or make a thread that points to a website that's better suited for that sort of thing.

There are plenty of "netsafe" sites around, and having a link in your sig would advertise that fact, without making TF.N accountable for any ill-advice it might give out (if it takes up your suggestion).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.