main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] So, what exactly isn't verbally allowed here?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    It can only be used negatively, but I think it's up to the mod. Consider it an on-the-fence term.

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I would definitely say no on that, given the term and its usage.

Dana

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    When I PMed the list to someone, I also was confused about "whore" being in there - what with all the attention whores the JC got...

ah, but let me quote somebody who said this to me in a PM (omg, I'm leaking!) before I was mod: "We never promised 100% effectiveness" ;)

but then again, the "only when used as an insult" is probably implied. But then again... calling somebody an "attention whore" isn't exactly nice. True in most cases, but still not nice ;)

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I thought that there might have been a caveat on the usage of "whore", but then again considering there are only a couple of instances in which it can be used in a non-derogatory/insulting fashion where there aren't a plethoria of other ways to express things, it could be that it just wasn't worth the hassle to worry about and let others have to come up with something else to express themselves.

It might have also been something that applied more to Fan Fic for various reasons, but it's been so long since I wrote that list that it's hard to remember the exact why's of each individual word.

All that aside, also remember that not every single one of those words hold the same weight when being moderated (or at least didn't), and some are "edit only" words, while others are "on-the-spot" bannable.

Edit: Actually, after looking the list over again, that isn't the original one created in the MS. It's mostly the same, but there are extra words that have been added in that are either Fan Fic only, or JC wide since it's first creation.

5. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    yeah, we did something with that list and weren't entirely finished yet, as far as I remember. Don't know of course what they've done with it between you writing it and me becoming mod :)

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    has 'freaking' been banned yet?
    as in, "this is freaking retarded"?

7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Evidently the mods here seem kind of loose on the usage of the word 'whore' because this thread is remaining open.

I personally don't see how using the word or not using it would be that big of a deal.

8. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    To the best of my knowledge, whore isn't allowed here. Dashy edited my post that had it in it several months ago.

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    But then again... calling somebody an "attention whore" isn't exactly nice. True in most cases, but still not nice wink

Bah, i got banned for that one :(

Don't call people attention whores, no matter how true it might or might not be... it's a flame.

10. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    really?
    Didn't look like that last year...
    *shrugs*

"freaking" is allowed. "It's a freaking message board", "It's a freaking movie", "What do you want, a freaking medal!?"

"This is freaking retarded" isn't allowed for another reason than simply language

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    A punctual individual, you are. :p

12. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    God damn

I take issue with not being able to say this on so many levels. I can say "Damn, this is less than great!" or "God, this is less than great!" but not a combination.

I know that the boards fall under the rule of the site owner, and I know that said site owner may be a tad bit of a right wing Christian/Catholic/Whatever enthusiast, but there's really nothing fundamentally wrong with that phrase.

If you go with the age old argument that it offends some memebers, a lot of things offend people. People telling me "God bless!" (not in the sneezing sense) offends me, but it's allowed in signatures, and in posts. God BLESS is fine, but not God DAMN, which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

You can't say <s word>head, but you can say poop head, so you can't argue that the situation exists all over the scope. "Damn" is also a word that's allowed, unlike our favorite words beginning with S and F.

I know nothing is going to change, but it's just wrong on so many levels.

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    You're right, it is up for interpretation on many levels, but i guess it's going to remain like this untill someone else takes over. If, in fact, that ever happens.

14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    God BLESS is fine, but not God DAMN, which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I always went with the "If they can say it on primetime TV you can say it here" philosophy (well that and owner's rules) and you can't say "God damn" on primetime TV.

Amazing.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So, I guess you don't count F/X as Primetime programming? I can promise you that they say G.D. and worse on all of their primetime shows. Shows like the Shield, Nip/Tuck, and Rescue Me are really kinda filthy in the languiage dept. It is basic cable, so maybe you just meant regular networks like CBS, NBC, and ABC.

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Yeah he did mean regular networks, because in ESPN's series and movies (prime time, IE Hustle) they use a lot of words that aren't allowed here.

17. Rage

Rage Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    Can We say Jeubs Christ?

/,,/
    Rock on!

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    It's been done, so i guess so.

19. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Can I tell a mod to Shut up? Seriously, Because if not this place remindes me of school [face_plain] .

/,,/
    Rock on!

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    You can't tell anyone to shutup and neither can I. It's flaming and not allowed. The best thing to do is notify a mod of the situation or walk away if debating with someone gets you that riled.

21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    plus, it's hurts people's feelings.

22. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004
    Read maybe 15 of my posts. Post in completely the opposite way and that would be a good poster.

23. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Are words like "fugly" allowed? I wouldn't think so, but best not to leave it to chance.

24. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    No, they're not. (At least, from the discussion I've seen.)

Dana

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    what about Bloody. Like what the bloody hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.