main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] So, what exactly isn't verbally allowed here?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm pretty sure I've been told by KK that "freaking" is not allowed.

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    "Fugly" is not allowed because of what it stands for. As far as freakin', I don't ban for it. But I will make a note of it in the admin notes.

3. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I still don't understand why you would edit or note words that stand for other words. That means things like "holy crap" or "oh sugar" aren't allowed, which would be pretty ridiculous. The whole point behind something like "freaking" is to get your point across without actually using a banned word. You guys should focus on people who break the rules by using taboo words and not worry about people who use words in place of taboo words.

Amazing.

4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    And another thing, one of the jobs of the mods is to censor words that aren't allowed, but if someone uses "freaking" they are already censoring themselves, so all you're doing is censoring their censorship, which they took the initiative on. Besides which, if someone posted something like "What the **** was that?" it'd be fine. But if that same person posted "What the freak was that?" they'd be punished in some way, whether via warning or a user note? How is the latter worse than the former?

I think I'm done.

Amazing.

5. AmazingLB

AmazingLB Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    But I have just begun.

There should certainly be more realitic rules regarding substitute profanity, like freaking. What if I say, "You eat dung, freak face!" Well, it is an insult, but maybe one to just receive a warning for being antagonistic, not for content. Really, if you start editing words like that, the "rating level" will be forcibly pushed down to "G" and people would get irked. I know I would.

Amazing!

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I've got to agree with AmazingB here. There are some words that are socially acceptable substitutes for some language to get a similar point across without actually resorting to base language.

To extend B's example, using "damn", or "oh hell" are to provide a less offensive expression, but both can be used to self-censor certain phrases. If you start down the path of also censoring that which is used as a substitute for more profane language, you are going to have to edit these out as well. But you need to remember that these two examples were both used in the Star Wars movies, and were there to express a sentiment that would be acceptable for the rating that the movies received, even though there is an inherrent harsher meaning to their usage.

The same goes for the phrase "Sithspit". It is most certainly just an alternative to the use of "bulls***", but it is rife through a large section of the EU. Using the standard that now seems to apply, you better start letting everyone know that they can't even use that.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I remember the discussion about this in the AC last year. I think I called the method "censoring censorship of coded swears that got censored" or something. Because it was/ is too much. People aren't swearing.

But they aren't on the list anyway, and I'd rather become a basher than have such words "officially" forbidden.
    Everything else is, and should be, context, or the wonderful "case-by-case" phrase which we should throw around a lot more often.

It was worse last year, I'd say, though...

8. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    For once, I completely agree with AmazingB. 'Freaking' is in no way, shape or form considered a curse or as foul language.

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    As someone who doesn't "swear", I use words like crap, dang, freaking, Sithspit. I hold the view that warning someone for censoring themselves is a bit . . . silly. Really.

Dana

10. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I was just wondering: in what context is masturbation allowed? I was just wondering,becuase in the Adult Swim qoute thread in the JC Community,I qouted a line from The Venture Bros. about a guy furiously masturbating to a girl's picture. If it's in the context not allowed,I'm sorry,and will be reallyx100 careful about what I post in the future.

11. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    There was once (or twice or...) a discussion thread about masturbation. It went along quite well for a dozen pages or so, although religion came into play AND it was in YJCC! :eek:

It's really not the word and it isn't even the act itself, it really is the context. 'furiously to a girl's picture' is the part that actually made it not quite appropriate. I hope you can imagine why ;)

btw, I think this is the most family unfriendly thread in the whole JC - including deleted threads by trolls :p

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    There was once (or twice or...) a discussion thread about masturbation. It went along quite well for a dozen pages or so, although religion came into play AND it was in YJCC!

If i recall, religion came into play quite early in the thread and it was still allowed. Pfft, it was offensive to me to even see that much religion. :p

As for everything else, i agree with Amazing for once.

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, I said "although", not "until" ;)

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Oh, oh. Yes, you did. I've been served. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.