main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] They were in the wrong place and in the wrong time.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Keeper_of_Swords, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    If there's a thread which is sensible but in the wrong forum is it better if you don't post in it at all before it gets locked?

Sometimes a thread comes up but after it's maker is told to lock it by someone it's still not locked.

(I think explaining that it's in the wrong forum and telling to lock politely is allowed unlike those lock pics which sometimes get posted which I know are definately not allowed.)

Then the discussion is continued until the thread is locked by a moderator.

I know the users who contribute to the discussion aren't banned cause of this, but wondered if the Mods still don't like this because after all it's still not in the correct forum.

Just asking so that I post or don't post in these kind of threads.

Thanks

Title Spelling

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Couple of different points here...

1) *generally* the reason that we ask users not to act like moderators is because it tends to piss other people off. If you want to PM a mod to do something, that's fine; but if you post in a thread telling someone that their thread goes somewhere else and they BELIEVE that it's the right place for the thread, it's gonna get ugly.

2) I have no problem with people -- anyone really, mods, normal users, VIPs, etc. -- posting in threads that are in the wrong place and inevitably locked. Heck, I've even posted in threads that, upon retrospect some time later, I didn't think were appropriate for the Forum.

3) Generally, for new TYPES of threads (e.g. a social thread, a "defense force," etc.) where one doesn't exist in a given Forum it's generally a good idea to ask the Forum mod FIRST, rather than have the possibility of a then large thread deleted within a Forum (as I had to do a couple of weeks ago).

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    1) *generally* the reason that we ask users not to act like moderators is because it tends to piss other people off. If you want to PM a mod to do something, that's fine; but if you post in a thread telling someone that their thread goes somewhere else and they BELIEVE that it's the right place for the thread, it's gonna get ugly.

I don't think its possible for users to act as moderators. I mean, there will always be users that come into a thread and say "this is dumb" or "this needs to be locked." I mean lets face that. I see it all the time, and i'm not going to lie, i'm not innocent of it either. I'm just saying it happens. Usually when it happens to me, i don't risk getting hostile and being banned, i'd usually just lock it and consider all of that useless.

If there's a thread which is sensible but in the wrong forum is it better if you don't post in it at all before it gets locked? Sometimes a thread comes up but after it's maker is told to lock it by someone it's still not locked. (I think explaining that it's in the wrong forum and telling to lock politely is allowed unlike those lock pics which sometimes get posted which I know are definately not allowed.) Then the discussion is continued until the thread is locked by a moderator. I know the users who contribute to the discussion aren't banned cause of this, but wondered if the Mods still don't like this because after all it's still not in the correct forum. Just asking so that I post or don't post in these kind of threads.

I wouldn't consider this much of a problem at all. You said it yourself, it will be locked enevitably, plus there will always be members that go in the thread and jerk on about how its in the wrong place.

4. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    If people are going to get emotional over someone telling them that their topic doesn't belong here or that it should be locked from someone that is not a moderator needs help or to leave the computer for a few hours.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If people are going to get emotional over someone telling them that their topic doesn't belong here or that it should be locked from someone that is not a moderator needs help or to leave the computer for a few hours.

But, from the other extreme, if you spend 15 minutes or longer composing a very long, very detailed post and the first couple of posts in response are "wrong forum" or "wrong forum; in before the lock!" chances are, you're going to get upset.

Bottom line: While being HELPFUL is good, we discourage regular users from acting like moderators.

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    While the help of users is always appreciated with situations like these, like dp said, leave the moderating up to the administration. This doesn't go to say that you can't provide a link where the thread belongs, but be polite and helpful when redirecting someone if you choose to do so.

7. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003

When I said?.(I think explaining that it's in the wrong forum and telling to lock politely is allowed unlike those lock pics which sometimes get posted which I know are definately not allowed.) I was referring to other users who do this.

I never posted to say that a thread is in the wrong forum and don?t intend to start doing so now.

I only provided a link to a better thread once or twice and only once PM?ed a Mod to tell him about a specific thread.

I agree it?s childish to get angry just cause a thread?s not in a correct place.

When I was talking about posting in a sensible thread in a wrong forum, I was talking about discussing the argument presented by the creator of that thread. Like other users, I?ve been doing this for a while.

leave the moderating up to the administration. This doesn't go to say that you can't provide a link where the thread belongs, but be polite and helpful when redirecting someone if you choose to do so.

Agreed

I wouldn't consider this much of a problem at all. You said it yourself, it will be locked enevitably, plus there will always be members that go in the thread and jerk on about how its in the wrong place.

2) I have no problem with people -- anyone really, mods, normal users, VIPs, etc. -- posting in threads that are in the wrong place and inevitably locked. Heck, I've even posted in threads that, upon retrospect some time later, I didn't think were appropriate for the Forum.

Glad to here this.

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I know the users who contribute to the discussion aren't banned cause of this, but wondered if the Mods still don't like this because after all it's still not in the correct forum.

Not at all. I don't see anything wrong with people posting in a thread prior to it being locked. Provided, of course, they aren't spamming it up with "lock this" posts which, at least in the JCC, aren't allowed.

9. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I understand that, but what about advice to noobs? Things like, "Hey, welcome! But just so you know, the mods frown on swearing/insults/redundant posts/etc. I just don't want to see you get in trouble on your first day!"

Is that all right?

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't see a problem with it, though it might be best to do so via PM.

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I would agree with McDash. Advice giving to n00bs is okay, but I'd encourage it only with things you're 100% sure of. I'd hate for a newbie to get the wrong guidelines on the 3 thread per day rule or other things that could get them a warning in the future.

12. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    Thanks for solving my query :). I?m glad to hear it?s ok to contribute to discussions in sensible threads (which aren't in the right forums) until they?re locked.

13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay then, fair enough. But what is the 3 thread per day rule?

14. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    It's a rule we enforce in the JCC to prevent flooding and too many threads per user in a day's time.

15. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    1) *generally* the reason that we ask users not to act like moderators is because it tends to piss other people off.

And people tend to be wrong a lot.

Amazing.

16. Darth-Bradius

Darth-Bradius Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2004
    I am not a newbie, but not exactly been here ages.

but i often try to help other users when they post a thread in the wrong forum, the other day we had one in the 3sa which was blatently a JC community thread, i posted that this was the case and the user thanked me for the help BUT

othertimes i will do the same and just get abuse for trying to help, are you saying we should help redirect threads or just leave it for mods???

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And people tend to be wrong a lot.

I'm less concerned with people being wrong than unintentionally starting a flame war (which I've actually seen happen, believe it or not... ;))

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    othertimes i will do the same and just get abuse for trying to help, are you saying we should help redirect threads or just leave it for mods???

The best thing to do is PM one of the forum mods. That way you help without the potential for abuse. And if you're wrong, you're wrong and no one will ever know.

Amazing.

19. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    I changed the way I post in misplaced threads , cause I got banned once for it .

before I would normally post something like this

ex : if this was in the AOTC forum

I sense a .....

[image=http://www.lockitt.com/images/magnumsm.jpg]

[image=http://www.ics.com/images/lock.gif]

[image=http://static.howstuffworks.com/inside-gif/lock/lock1.jpg]

[image=http://www.bookstore.umn.edu/include/lock.jpg]

Keeper_of_Swords I dont think this is a AOTC forum topic you should repost this thread in
    The comms forum :)

20. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yeah, I agree it might be better to leave the lock pictures out. In my experience, they usually make the thread author angrier (and since the author's often a newbie anyway, they can benefit from gentleness until they find their way around the boards).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.