main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN] Thread Derailing

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wes_Janson, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Why do mods not bother to deal with this issue ?

They usualy (in my experince) just lock the thread, claiming it is offtopic, or ban the thread creator when he/she tells the trolls to leave.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's a blanket statement to make, given how large the JC is.

I've seen thread derailing taken care of on any number of occasions, as it should be. Part of it depends on whether there's a forum moderator online at a given time to deal with it.

3. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    I recently had a thread in the EUC locked for no given reason.

It made it to page 2 with no true replys, just trolls derailing it, and my asking them to leave.

Same with baiting, Ive seen little done to baiters, unless they break the TOS as part of the bait.

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    No one baited you into flaming someone and we tried to tell you that the thread was not allowed in the EUC but you didn't listen. So more people started to come in and see what the hubbub was all about and decided to put their two cents in. Heck I tried to warn you to becareful to avoid a possible banning but you ignored me.

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    The Mods do bother Wes, you should know being the guilty party yourself on numerous occasions.

6. Jasa_Solo

Jasa_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2003
    Actualy Mitth, I politely asked y'all to leave the thread with most of my posts.

Y'all continued to bait/derail.

Screq this, Im leavign the JC.

Im just fed up with the way things are here.

7. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I don't think telling people "Screw you" and "k, tnx, die" is politely telling people to leave and stop derailing a thread, btw which we were not doing. Every post (except the flames by you) was legit. You said the EUS had a problem, I and others were giving you solutions to fix that problem instead of starting an irrelevant thread that would only cause problems (which it did). Your thread's purpose was to discuss and fix problems. We were doing that. I'm sorry you see it differently when people oppose your ideas to a problem.

8. Donovan

Donovan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2003
    Bye, Wes. :) Sorry you don't like the boards since they aren't the way you want them to be.

9. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    *throws a "he's gone away" party* :p

Anyway, in this particular case, users were posting specific concerns about the thread, while the thread creator was replying with flames and baits, not properly answering questions. To me, Wes, you derailed the thread much more than anyone else did.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Im just fed up with the way things are here.

[Dante]You'll be missed.[/Dante]

11. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Darth Dark Helmet, that was Randal, not Dante.

wolf

12. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I read back the thread and I agree with some of the post. Yes, in the begining they tried to tell you that the thread was not allowed there. Later the thread went off the hand little bit by too much talking about the thread, so the thread was locked.

13. Jabbas_Proctologist

Jabbas_Proctologist Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2004
    And the above (well, some of it) is yet more proof of what Wes said.
    The mods dont give a damn about thread derailing/baiting/

14. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    The best sock as voted for the 2004 JC awards was Jabbas_Proctologist

Wes_Janson claims he won best sock.

That's interesting. :)

15. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    Is it considered cool to post in your own thread and talk to yourself using your own sock? Simple, you do not like problems you leave, and actually stay gone. :)

[face_plain]

16. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually responding to yourself as a sock consecutively is pretty much a no no.

While simply posting with a sock to pretend people agree with you isn't, as far as I am aware, strictly prohibited, in general it is grounds for people pointing and laughing at you.

17. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it's prohibited when the user in question is banned.

18. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    In my experience, thread derailing is dealt with when it occurs. I've seen numerous mods post and tell a thread to "get back on topic." But sometimes a thread is out of place or redundant, or things developed so badly in subsequent posts that the only real option is to lock it and deal with the offenders afterwards. Also, just because you don't see evidence of users being warned and/or banned for derailing a thread, doesn't mean it isn't happening. ;)

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    The thread was locked not only for redundancy, being that there was already a thread of that nature, but because of the flaming and baiting going on within it. Being the moderator responsible for locking it, I can ascertain the reasons.

Dana

20. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    The thread you used in citing that it was 'redundant' was locked, therefore how could have it have been redundant.

I created the thread because I was wanting to help the EUC forum out, not to cause 'teh drama'

All I know now is this, Im sticking to fanfic, it's the only truly freindly fourm here.

21. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Im sticking to fanfic, it's the only truly freindly fourm here.

Thank you. :)

22. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Are you truly that ignorant of the rules? Posting with a sock whilst banned is a BAD.

Don't do BAD things or you'll never be back here AGAIN.

SAD isn't IT?

23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    You know you are not suppose to post under a sock while banned, right?

24. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The mods do as best a job as they can, mate. You could help them more by sticking to the rules. ;)

In any case, baiting is hard to mod, as it can be hard to ascertain what constitutes baiting and what doesn't. But the mods do the best they can.

I_F

25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I love how he got banned and then came back as a sock and posted again and said he was leaving and got that sock banned then came back as another sock and got it banned and then posted on his original name and hopefully got it banned too.

Wait, no I don't.

Seriously, everyone but you was posting on topic. They were discussing the purpose of your thread. You were flaming them. Most users stayed pretty constructive, while you were not. Perhaps examining new ways to get your point across without avoiding the question and without flaming is something that you should look into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.