main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[GEN]Why do we still have archived threads (UBB)...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthBane77, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    ...if they don't work anymore? :confused:

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm guessing it's for the sake of showing this site's roots and how we went from a small community to being such a large one.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Edit: I just saw this. Jeff, that was uncalled for. Please be polite.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    If you add www1. before theforce.net in the archival links, they should work.

5. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    You are correct. [face_thinking] It would be nice if the links were fixed. Only Zero Sleep can correct such an issue, am I right?

6. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    No. zerosleep has no power over the archives. They're hosted on TFN's server, not the boards server. Someone from TFN with access to that part of the site would need to go through and update it.

7. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    This should be added to the FAQ. A lot of people are missing out on the archives because they're not aware of how to access them.

8. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    It'd make more sense to update the pages themselves with the correct links instead of updating any sort of FAQ with information on how to get the links to work.

9. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    It would make more sense, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen. It's been 6 years since the archive links were moved to that page... I doubt it's a big priority for TFN.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    No, it's not incomprehensible, I just tend to be oblivious to some things. 'Archived' is a word that I do understand, however I sometimes have trouble with 'anymore'.

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    With the image server problem, I don't know that this is a priority for Anthony. Gabe can ask him about updating them. In the meantime we can put it in the FAQ here.

Added here, in the JC FAQ.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Weren't some of the old threads also saved off-site by some of the more sentimental oldbies? Maybe you could get in contact with some of those people and link to their copies of the threads.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I remember KnightWriter had some, especially some of the PSA, 2SA and 3SA threads. And maybe some JCC threads?

14. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    There's a general internet archive available featuring pages of the JC going back to 99 or so. I don't have the link handy though.

Unfortunately the archives aren't hosted on the JC extension, otherwise I could update them. I could Save them all one by one and re-upload them (properly edited) to the JC extension and just update the dropdown folder script... but that's alot of work. I would consider it once I've finished cleaning up the server though.

15. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://boards.theforce.net/

I love that site.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    http://browseatwork1.com/nph-proxy.cgi/000110A/http/web.archive.org/web/20000815064345/http:/=2fboards.theforce.net/

HAHAHAH, now that is a great one to look at. That was what the Snowboards version of the JC looked like shortly after we switched servers in 2000. The interface was incredibly ugly, we had no smilies or other markup codes like bold or italics, and mods didn't even have the power to lock threads. All they could do was delete them. The sight of that screen sure does bring back memories.... *wipes a tear*

17. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    You can go even further back here and here.

I'm sure that's happened, but I haven't seen any examples of it recently. In the meantime, this thread contains links to many unarchived threads from the UBB days. The "www1." rule applies to those threads, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.