main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GenCon Winner! Tusken Raider Deck Won?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by VongLah, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VongLah

VongLah Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2002
    A news story just posted announcing the winner of the 2003 Championship Tournament. The most surprising thing to me is that the deck that won the most was a Tusken deck. It says it was hard to beat.

Every time I play a Tusken deck it is waaaay too slow. What do you guys think of this? I want to SEE that deck!!!

2. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Where abouts is the story?

I can see how it won, i think :p

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    sounds like one heck of a deck!

4. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    It's in the CCG news section.

JB, what is your guess of how this deck was put together? (just a basic guess). The actual deck has not posted yet. We should see how close we get when it is.

5. jedimasterbatesmomma

jedimasterbatesmomma Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2003
    Is the actual deck posted somewhere,and if so where? My son was one of the top 8, they played for twelve hours........

6. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Hmm, a basic guess then...

Well im guessing it would be more a rush type deck, it would be easier if i knew what side it was but im guessin dark side.

im guessing 4 Tusken Raiders and 4 Female Tusken Raiders, which if they were all out would give a 2 build tusken 8 power :p Then 4 Tusken Sharpshooters would allow a bit of accurecy. Having all of these cards in the arena would give the Basic Tusken Raider 12 power and 4 accurecy, which is pretty good, but its not likely that would happen :p

A few Tusken Camps would help reduce damage on other Tusks, and might be a nice 'bait' card to play, forcing the opponant to take out the healers. Maybe a few tusken squads to take advantage of the healing factor and the accurecy by the sharpshooters, or even tusken raider squads, and Tusken War Parties, which would just 'feed' from other cards, like the Sharps and the Camps.

Space is anyones Guess, Since there are no Tusken Cards im Guessing Droid Starfighter DFS-1VR As a cheap swarm unit, but who knows.

Also with Battle and Mission Cards, i would use some basic power bonus cards, maybe some force drain cards like Capture Obi-Wan to just stop the Jedi.

Thats just off the top of my head :p lets see how close i get, anyone else wanna have a go?

7. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    jedimasterbatesmomma, I heard about your son Bryan Bates placing in the top 8. That is a great achievement for a young 'un. :)

From what I hear he was quite the gentleman. Well spoken, polite, and very sportsmanslike, shaking his opponents hand and all.

You should be proud of having such a great son.

8. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Wish i could have gone, i woulda owned everyone :p

9. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    RIC-920 owned in that deck I hear.

10. jedimasterbatesmomma

jedimasterbatesmomma Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2003
    Hey thanks...that was his first big match. While he had a few "moments" as did I, it was pretty good. I had to be kind of "assertive" in keeping people from standing behind him and sometimes, right over him. While I know people like to watch, nobody should crowd around/over any player.
    Thanks for the note, and the both of us are looking forward to next year...maybe Socal!!

11. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Ok, he posted the deck on Rebelbasers. Here it is:

61 Cards

Character (19)
    Tusken Sharpshooter x4
    Tusken Raider x4
    Kouhun x4
    Darth Vader C x4
    RIC-920 x3

Ground (16)
    Tusken Squad x4
    Tusken Raider Squad x4
    Tusken Camp x4
    Domesticated Bantha x4

Space (12)
    Droid Starfighter DFS-1VR x4
    Tie Fighter DS-3-12 x4
    Tie Fighter DS-73-5 x4

Battle (6)
    Hero's Dodge x2
    Pilot's Dodge x2
    Dark Dreams x2

Mission (8)
    Departure Time x4
    Splinter the Republic x2
    Remember the Prophecy x2

It looks like the strategy (based on what he said and what is read between the lines) was to speed up the Tusken's with the RICs. They get to go first and they feed off each other and overwhelm the Jedi or whatever due to sheer numbers and things like the accuracy that the Sharpshooters give to each Tusken. Get 3 of those out and every single dice is a hit. Kouhun to do some nasty damage. Dark Dreams to grab any speed cards the LS throws out like Anakin's Inspiration, etc. Departure time to concede space and get more build points for Ground and Character. He also mentioned using some of the cheap space units to hold down Space if LS decides to ditch it. Intercept with Vader to protect the RIC. Ric is the key along with Kohoun.

12. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Benji's Deck:

im guessing 4 Tusken Raiders and 4 Female Tusken Raiders, which if they were all out would give a 2 build tusken 8 power Then 4 Tusken Sharpshooters would allow a bit of accurecy. Having all of these cards in the arena would give the Basic Tusken Raider 12 power and 4 accurecy, which is pretty good, but its not likely that would happen

A few Tusken Camps would help reduce damage on other Tusks, and might be a nice 'bait' card to play, forcing the opponant to take out the healers. Maybe a few tusken squads to take advantage of the healing factor and the accurecy by the sharpshooters, or even tusken raider squads, and Tusken War Parties, which would just 'feed' from other cards, like the Sharps and the Camps.

Space is anyones Guess, Since there are no Tusken Cards im Guessing Droid Starfighter DFS-1VR As a cheap swarm unit, but who knows.

Also with Battle and Mission Cards, i would use some basic power bonus cards, maybe some force drain cards like Capture Obi-Wan to just stop the Jedi.

Winners Deck:

Character (19)
    Tusken Sharpshooter x4
    Tusken Raider x4
    Kouhun x4
    Darth Vader C x4
    RIC-920 x3

Ground (16)
    Tusken Squad x4
    Tusken Raider Squad x4
    Tusken Camp x4
    Domesticated Bantha x4

Space (12)
    Droid Starfighter DFS-1VR x4
    Tie Fighter DS-3-12 x4
    Tie Fighter DS-73-5 x4

Battle (6)
    Hero's Dodge x2
    Pilot's Dodge x2
    Dark Dreams x2

Mission (8)
    Departure Time x4
    Splinter the Republic x2
    Remember the Prophecy x2

Bold Are simularities ;)

I personally would have thrown in some Capture Obi-Wans to drain force, makes it easier to take Jedi down :p

I wonder what his light deck was...

13. Itchy_c

Itchy_c Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2002
    I tried to make a similar seck, but it was with only Neutral Cards. It wasn't very good, but it was fun to play.

14. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    The top 8 and Top 25 placers at GenCon is in the CCG news section

15. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    JediBenji, good job on being pretty close! The 2 key cards (Kouhun and Ric) are missing from your deck which make it a really viable deck, because otherwise they are just too slow and Kouhun is just evil. Still... you were not far off. Nice job.

16. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Maybe i shoulda gotten the card list out :p ;)

I might try get a nice light deck together this weekend, after seeing that deck.

Lets hope it turns out good :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.