main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Gender gap in gaming and geekdom

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    http://jezebel.com/5429518/star-trek--girl-gamers-exploring-the-gender-gap-in-computer-science

Geek girls don't tend to be girlie girls. Is it because girlie girls aren't interested in Scifi? (my girlie girl oldest niece, at 11, loves WoW and SW. But I wonder if her friends at school know this or how open she will be about her love of geek stuff as she hits her teen years) Or is it just those of us who weren't girlie girls to begin with, who liked playing with the boys, were simply more comfortable breaking into the more male dominated world of scifi and geekdom?

2. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    <---Is most definately not a girlie, girl. Loves gaming. Is a geek ;)

3. GeekPrincess20

GeekPrincess20 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2010
    I have to disagree, i am very much into gaming and sci-fi, i play WoW and geek it out, but at the same time i am very much a girlie girl :) i just enjoy both

4. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Do you find that others in the geek world treat you as less than 'serious' geek because you are a girlie girl? How do your 'normal' friends react to your geek interests? Do they know?

Not trying to get too personal, just curious about the experiences of a girlie girl in geek culture. (I don't know any adult girlie girl geeks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.