1. Happy Christmastime, WNU!

General advice for Newbies.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jedi_Learner, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Skiara
  1. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have been thinking about this idea for a long time now and I've searched this forum for a similiar topic, but couldn't find one. The idea is simple, experienced users share their knowledge of wisdom to Newbies in the hope they don't make the same mistakes as you did.
    My advice to people who have just joined, make sure you search the forum for what your looking for before you ask. Sometimes the most common questions can be found just two or three pages away from the front page. :)/>
  2. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    How about letting newbies post there qustions here? It is hard to navigate at first.

There are always Moderators and Managers here to help. Never fear to ask for something, they don't bite!

Dooku-
  3. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "How about letting newbies post there qustions here?"

I agree. If anyone has any questions then you can post them here and most likely one of us will answer it in several minutes. :)
  4. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    Now all we need is some newbies :)
  5. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know SithDooku, but for now I'll post another one. :)
    Your icon gives you a personal identity. I would recommend choosing an icon you haven't seen anyone use. That will give youself an unique identity for others./>
  6. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Hey, this is a good idea!

My advice: Never be afraid to ask for help, think before you speak (post), and search the first 5-10 pages before you start a new topic.

Also, visit as many different forums as you can. Going to several forums will most importantly gain you more friends, and also give you a wider variety of what all this site has to offer.

:)/>
  7. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks jedi_master_ousley. :)
    When you have written a large post and are about to send it, why not check it will a spell checker? Send it to a program like Microsoft Word and have it checked so you can check for grammar and spelling errors./>
  8. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah, I'm doing that for an FAQ Index I'm doing for CT.
  9. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    Most of the Time that I wright a lage post, I'll wright it before hand using Word. That way I can Spell check and I can wright it without being online.

Dooku-
  10. Red_Oktobur Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Advice?

If someone is being an @$$, or is flaming you, or possibly spamming, report to a moderator. If it's nothing bad, it's not going to hurt you. Like above, don't be afraid to speak out.
  11. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your profile is important because it allows other people to know more about you. This is especially important for people who want to become adopters. :)

Newbie Adoptions v3.0
  12. Skimaniac87 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have some pretty good advice, here it goes :)

When you're leaning markup codes and you want a really fast way to get to them without clicking the link above or waiting for it to load, copy all of the markup code page that you need, paste it into notebook and save it, that way when you want a quick way to access all of the codes just go to my Documents and double click on the notpad icon ;) You can also do that with a manual sig, you shold try it, it really is quite helpful.

Edit= Markup code mess up! :D
  13. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    When making posts don't have lots of images that need downloading, this is annoying for people like me that don't have broadband.
  14. Skimaniac87 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree Jedi_Learner ;)
    Only use images when needed when they aren't... well then don't use them :)
  15. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Link the images instead if your going to use more that three pictures.
  16. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I agree... (even though I've been guilty of too many pics at once. :p )

Also-- when you do google.com image search, and you click on the picture, when it takes you to the screen with the pic and it says "See full size image" don't do it. Just use it the FIRST time you click on it.

I just learned this a couple days ago, but the larger the source image, the longer it takes to load, because when it compress the pic, it has more to compress.

Advice to all users:

When you make a header rule, don't put /> after it. You don't need to. I've seen it twice in this thread, and many, many other places. Just thought I'd let you know. :)
  17. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Another piece of advice is to check out the Communications Forum where information about current affairs are done. That is also the place to report broken Private Messages or requests. :)
  18. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your signature can be used to link important websites or quotes. You only have a limited amount of characters you can use though. :(
  20. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    200 characters per line, so make it short and to the point but have fun with it!
  21. death-sticks Jedi Master

star 4
    200 characters per line

not correct, sd. it's 250 characters for the whole thing.
  22. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Your edit button after posting can be a great friend if you made a mistake or want to add more to that post. Some forums allow you to edit for 30 minutes, some for 90 minutes and one for unlimited times. :)
  23. SithDooku Jedi Master

star 4
    oh shutup deathsticks :) You are a problem.
  24. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sometimes using the face icons are the best thing to do. If SithDooku didn't put that :) after he told him to shut up, you would think he was serious and flaming another member. [face_mischief]

Face Help
  25. Skimaniac87 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jedi_Learner is right if I was to say shut up! :mad: That would be looked at as flaming somebody, but if I were to say Shut up! :p Then you would know that I was just giving you a hard time. So it's always good to add faces after your sentence that you aren't sure they'll know how you really feel when you type them ;)
Moderators: Skiara
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.