main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST General consensus on TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by kenobisdeed, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenobisdeed

kenobisdeed Jedi Knight star 1

May 28, 2016
    Fair enough, point taken. Although as I said above, that little statement was meant literally, just a bit of exaggeration to emphasise my dislike for the movie as a big fan. Again though I get what you mean, others obviously don't know those were my intentions.

2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Many "user" reviews were negative. The overwhelming consensus of reviews is positive. So yes, starting a lengthy thread in which you suggest that people who liked this film aren't serious Star Wars fans isn't really a positive way to engage. Which is why this thread is now about the way you started the thread, rather than a serious discussion about the issues you raised. Here's a suggestion; pick the issue you feel most strongly about, and post about it in the relevant thread, explaining your position and inviting others to comment.

You've used the words "stupid" and "idiotic" to describe people who have pulled you up on your original post, which is also against forum rules. Criticism is fine (I've criticised aspects of the film myself), "bashing" isn't, and has a distinct meaning on the forum, so much so that the most vociferous critics of TFA on here don't post in the way your OP is laid out.

Rather than dismiss people in this community as stupid, idiotic or unable to take criticism, spend a bit of time getting a feel for the place. Read threads. You'll see debate and heated disagreements. But people of all opinions know that if they want to have a discussion, they need to focus on one point at a time, and not treat their own opinion as fact.

3. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016

4. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Cheers, I do try.

5. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
    Lol thank you again for the advice, it's really helpful! And thank you for letting me know that you are the person who decides what is criticism and what is 'bashing', despite you being wrong it's good to know who makes the decisions.

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    OK, well people have tried to point you in the right direction. Carry on as you were, hope it goes well for you.

7. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    So let me give you a bit of constructive criticism. While I would pretty much completely disagree with your opinion of the film, I respect it and feel no need to get in some sort of endless debate with you, especially seeing as this will probably get locked. But let me tell you the two things you should NOT have included:
    Now look, I saw that you said it was a joke in another post. There's nothing wrong with a joke, I make a decent amount of them on the forum, when appropriate. That's the key word there: appropriate. The joke you made is one joke you really shouldn't make in the Star Wars fandom. The reason is that a lot of people will say those things, except not as a joke. As a result, especially when you're just typing and we can't hear things like your tone of voice or see your facial expression, we can't tell you're joking, so people will take you seriously. And the whole "true fan" thing REALLY gets under a lot of people's skin.

8. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
    I know, I know. Really shouldn't have written that but it really was just for effect. The only reason I worded the review and criticisms like that is because I actually love the Star Wars universe and lore so the disappointment of many of the movies really irritates me. But I guess it works both ways for people who enjoy the same movies I'm disappointed with.

9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    "Just for effect"

The effect being that you've been apparently misunderstood.

...and then I read the rest of your justification and you haven't been misunderstood. You said what you did because you are irritated by the film.

10. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
    Yes, you're last sentence is correct.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.