main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC General D20 and Tabletop RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by LightWarden, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I know there's a few of us that get together at each other's houses to run a d 20 Star wars game. I hadn't see it played via the net, it'd take a long time I'm sure.

2. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    For round by round combat, yes, it can take a while, but for general roleplaying, you have more time to fill in details about your surroundings, characters, mention thoughts and trivial things that bring the experience to life. It also allows you more time to plan and consider, and analyze your options.

3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm still interested in playing. I'll have a character sheet up later tonight. Atm I have a few games to update myself.

4. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Don't worry, you've got plenty of time. I don't expect this game to start for at least a week, maybe more.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I had a moment of insanity and almost made a multi-class character. Fortunately, I regained my senses. :D Also fortunately for me, I have an actual character sheet here so keeping track of my character will be easier.

Here's my scoundrel:

Name: Erik Riggers (aka Artemis Visputin)
    Race: Human
    Class: Scoundrel 5

VP/WP: 34/14
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 10 meters

Defense: 17

Base Attack: +3
    Grapple: +5
    Attacks: +3 Melee, +6 Ranged
    Damage: 6d8 (2 Heavy blaster pistols), 8d6+6 (Thermal Detonator)

Special Attacks: Precise Attack +1 to Hit/Dam
    Special Qualities: Force Sensitive, Lucky, Illicit barter
    Saves: Fort -3, Ref -7, Will -2
    Face/Reach: 2mx2m, 2m

Force Points: 6
    Dark Side Points: 0

Abilities:
    STR = 10
    DEX = 16
    CON = 14
    INT = 16
    WIS = 12
    CHR = 8

Skills:
    Appraise = +7
    Astrogate = +7
    Balance = +7
    Bluff = +3
    Computer Use = +11
    Craft: vibro weapons = +3
    Demolitions = +7
    Diplomacy = +4
    Disable Device = +7
    Disguise = +7
    Escape/Artist = +7
    Forgery = +7
    Gamble = +4
    Gather Info = +3
    Hide = +11
    Knowledge: Street Wise = +7
    Knowledge: History = +7
    Listen = +5
    Move Silently = +7
    Pilot = +7
    Profession: Jewel Thief = +5
    Read/Write: Basic
    Repair = +7
    Search = +7
    Sleight of Hand = +7
    Speak Language: Basic
    Spot = +5
    Tumble = +7
    Understand Shyriiwook

Feats:
    Armor Proficiency (light)
    Force Sensitive
    Two-Weapon Fighting
    Weapon Finesse (blaster pistols)
    Weapon Group Proficiency (blaster pistols)
    Weapon Group Proficiency (simple weapons)

Equipment:
    Comlink - .1kg
    Medpack x2 - 2kg
    Power Pack x4 - .4kg
    All-temperature cloak - 1.5kg
    Glowrod - 1kg
    Datapad - 3kg
    Datacards x10 - .2kg
    Recording Rod - 1kg
    Energy Cell x3 - -
    Grapple Spike Launcher - .3kg
    Liquid Cable Dispenser - .2kg
    Aquata Breather - .2kg
    Credit Chip (100c) .1kg
    Padded Flight Suit - 5kg
    Thermal Detonator - .5kg
    Heavy Blaster Pistol x2 - 2.6kg

Equipment Weight: 18.1kg

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 81.6kg

Appearance:
    Personality: Erik can be eccentric at times as well as reclusive when he needs to hide from the bounty hunters and law. He is quite immature around others but becomes serious when the need arises or when he's busy stealing. He has a good sense of humor and can be trustworthy among friends. He also has a good business sense that helps him in appraising and selling goods he does not intend to keep. He despises any influencing agents, especially spice.

Biography: Erik Riggers is not his real name, but an alias for Artemis Visputin--a name he does not want associated with himself anymore since he left Telos five years ago. Before he left Telos, he was a simple street thug with thievery skills. His profession at the time was stealing speeders and smuggling spice from the spaceport to his gang leader. Things were well for him until one day while stealing a hotrod type speeder from a young Telosian nobleman while under the influence of spice, the owner came out to stop him and stepped in front of the speeder. Determined not to lose his latest prize to a foolishly courageous nobleman, he kept on moving forward despite the fact that the man had held on when Erik kept on going. The nobleman eventually lost his grip and fell to his death in the depths of Telos.

Once sober, Erik was ashamed at what he had done and learned of the bounty placed on his head by the nobleman's family. Not wishing to face the consequences of his crime, he took what remaining credits he had and booked the next flight out of Telos. Now he exists as Erik Riggers and applies his thieving skills to jewel and art theft. One day he wishes to become the greatest jewel and art theif in the galaxy as well as atone for his past sins by giving back to society somehow. But first he needs money to begin that path...

6. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Nice job. Few corrections though.

You start out with 5 force points.

And you don't need weapon finesse for a blaster, unless you intend to somehow actually clobber them with one. Ranged attacks automatically use Dexterity.

Also, I house-ruled Weapon Finesse to match up with the D&D 3.5e version. You no longer need to pick a specific weapon, having the feat allows you to use weapon finesse with any finessable melee weapon.

Also, as a note to anyone else playing, can you please put your skill ranks in parentheses or something, just so I can make sure that they're all added correctly?

I'm also not too picky about class and cross-class skills. Pretty much, if you can use it untrained, it's a class skill in addition to any others you may have. It makes more sense to allow a person to have no real difficulty in learning to do something anyone can do. Well, with the exception of Force skills, those you need the right feats to use.

That's all for the moment, keep it up.

7. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    You start out with 5 force points.

Actually, according to the book it says if you have the Force Sensitive feat you gain one bonus Force point regardless whether you are trained or not and can continue to gain Force points for each heroic or evil deed you commit. I just cant use them unless I am one of the Force classes.

And you don't need weapon finesse for a blaster, unless you intend to somehow actually clobber them with one. Ranged attacks automatically use Dexterity.

Eh thats fine with me. I'll just select another bonus feat then. looks I'll replace it with Infamy. So my reputation increases by +3 now.

8. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Half right. You do get a bonus point, I forgot about that. However, even normal people can use Force Points, which represent situations of them trying really hard/getting lucky. A Force Point is more powerful in the hands of a Force user, but it still is perfectly useable by a normal person. They just can't hold more than five, while people with the Force Sensitive feat can hold an unlimited amount.

At least, according to the Revised Core Rulebook, page 175.

Other than that, pretty much flawless.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Okay. I'm still trying to get use to this style of Role Playing, but I'm learning quickly. Heh. ADnD 2Ed is so much easier. Less math too.

10. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, they simplified the system greatly with 3.0 and 3.5e, it's much easier to explain to others what's going on.

Anyways, anyone else need scores sent to them, or are you guys going to buy your traits point by point?

11. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Also, I have this little thing for rolling up appearance scores, for a character, just a random way of telling people how attractive they might look. Your appearance score is a roll of 4d6, dropping the lowest dice and adding your charisma modifier. In my opinion, this balances out the fact that while you might initially be attractive/plain/ugly, conversation might make you that much more appealing. And it helps with the idea that high charisma players are attractive more often then not.

Anyways, his score is 13, 14+ his -1 CHA modifier.

Hmm... I wonder if anything could be done with Reputation... though that might be too much.

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Comeliness eh?

13. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Yes indeed, liberated from 2nd edition, with a little bit of modification.

14. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    So, out of all the people who expressed interest, which ones are making characters?

15. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    I am. I'm working on my points and such.

16. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    I will have one made for tommorow! Unfortunately- someone else has all my RPG books.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I have a question:

How are you going to deal with the DM/Player Q&A aspect of the game? Ya know;

Game Master: Roll a 6-side

player rolls a 1

Game Master: You see something hiding behind a boulder.

Player: Where and how far?

Game Master: Behind you and thirty meters back.

Player: Does Dak recognize it? Is it a person, a creature, or what?

Game Master: It is a person. Roll a 6-side

player rolls a 3

Game Master: You can tell it is a she and human.

Player: Does she look like she came from the city?

Game Master: How can you tell?

Player: Does her cloths look like farm cloths or city cloths?

Game Master: She may have come from the city or somewhere else.

18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    PM or IM usually, and I try to head off questions in my descriptions. So if you wish to contact me with more of a barrage of questions, try my MSN, lightwarden@hotmail.com

19. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    How quickly these topics fall into oblivion...

I don't really just want to bump it, so I guess I'll just ask if you guys would rather start out neutral and join a faction, or just start out in a faction already.

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Neutral then we can join a faction later on if we want to. More freedom that way.

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    ((I should do my character tonight, and have it posted sometime tomorrow.))

22. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    If you guys have anything in mind or want the details on anything in particular, feel free to PM me about the stats on various items you've seen in books or comics, and I'll try to do my best to find the stats on it, especially if you want to do something like have a custom job weapon or something, since much of the gear you get in Star Wars at the start is what you'll play with through the end, as there is no where near as much upgrading as in D&D, more of just tweaking what you already have, although there are more expensive, higher powered versions of some things.

For the record, I've got stats on a variety of different characters, droids, aliens, weapons, starships, etc. And then there's the lovely resources built into TheForce.Net. If it's been used to any significant degree, I think there's a better than average chance I might have stuff for it.

Also, do you guys think I should use the dice roller? I'm perfectly fine with rolling for the hell of it. I've seen some people go down hard (I saw a character reach -221 HP... insane), and then I've seen the dice make some heroic turn arounds (character reduced to a few HP from death, then manages to slay his enemy with maybe two amazing critical hits). And then I've seen things in between. Your call really.

23. 1baldwookie

1baldwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I am still working on my sheet for the moment, should be up tommorow. :)

24. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Yea, mine will be up tomorrow as well. It's turning out very well.

25. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Okay, so far I've got:

Finished:
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo- Scoundrel Thief/Jack of All Trades

In Progress:
    Ton_G
    Zedd-Vega
    Aragorn 327
    1baldwookie
    Long_Live_The_Rebels