1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

OOC General D20 and Tabletop RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by LightWarden, Mar 5, 2005.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. dontlookatmethatway Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I've skimmed the Tri-Stat dX system and it looks okay to me. But how would you implement it in a roleplaying game? Remember, the ideal game system would attract the roleplayers who don't like huge number systems as well as the guys who play DnD or D20 in real life. Even a really simple system has the potential to scare off potential players (I would give Dungeons & Dragons: The Inheritance Trilogy as an example, though one could argue that other factors killed the game).
  2. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, the most number stuff would be during character creation, which isn't too bad. All you have to do is give your concept to the GM or anyone else who's doing the number crunching, and then they can help you by filling it out for you if needed. It's not too hard, you can load up a present game, and then pick any character sheet and then take a crack at it. It is a little fritzy around areas where the character has one ability that can be adapted to many different things, such as a mage and all his spells, or psionics or something, since that kind of requires the "dynamic powers" attribute, except for the fact that I'm not entirely sure if it's as cost-effective or something. Maybe building a magic attribute would be better. Anyways, I know players can be skittish about new stuff, but if you say "there, there" and maybe offer them some carrots, they'll approach, and you can walk them through it/help them with it. People can be turned off by settings and campaign options too, it's just the way it works. Perhaps posting a "DO NOT BE AFRAID, I CAN HELP YOU" before showing the ruleset, or perhaps keeping the rules almost entirely under the hood and reserving it for those who want to wrench their characters a bit more, while doing the number crunching yourself for those who are completely number-challenged (this of course requires a very nice GM, but it's only an hour or two of work done once).
  3. Darth_adam Jedi Padawan

I have got a question the maybe someone could help me with. i was wondering if quickdraw could be used to put away a weapon to. is this possible?
  4. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Technically, there's no rule that says it can. However, most GMs tend to houserule that it can, simply because it makes the feat a little more useful, and it allows for the really cool image of a guy drawing, firing, and then holstering again, smooth as silk.
  5. Darth_adam Jedi Padawan

so if I were to have a suprise action then my turn by getting the highest int. could I quick draw the blaster use my suprise action to fire. then quick draw it into it holster then for my turn qiuck draw a rifle and then show again?
  6. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    You'd have to run it by your GM, but I don't think he would have too much of a problem with it. Afterall, you can just drop the weapon as a free action normally, so if you want to put it back with quick draw, I don't think he'd complain too much.
  7. Pheonix_Rising Jedi Knight

star 3
    I would allow it...although I don't think I would allow the character to quick draw the rifle out, and then quick draw the rifle away. The size of the rifle is just a little bit larger than I would allow.

And yes, LightWarden is correct, there is no rule about it... But I'm sure most GM's would allow it, and if they don't, they deserved to be smacked.
  8. Zanretsu Jedi Padawan

I have been searching for a Star Wars d20 game to play in for a long time now. Hopefully someone can do one possibly over AIM or some other method?

If so, that would be great, just let me know in a PM or something. Thanks!
  9. Pheonix_Rising Jedi Knight

star 3
    So...I just made the stats for a new feat for the SW universe.

Lightsaber Form Trakata(Forbidden Form)
    Prerequisites: Exotic Weapon Prof.(Lightsaber), Force Sensitive, Quick Draw, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, and Jedi Lvl. 7th

Benefit: The character may draw and ignite lightsaber as an Immediate action, and may turn on/off lightsaber inbetween attacks.

Normal: Characters without this feat may not turn lightsaber on/off between attacks and cannot draw lightsaber as an immediate action.

I was thinking about adding a bonus to criticals, but that's covered with 'Form VII Mastery'./>/>
  10. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I'm not sure if that feat will do much as is, it doesn't seem to offer a heck of a lot. Perhaps allowing increased/better feinting or something might help make it more interesting.

Also, fellow dice adepts, they've put up more news regarding the next version of the Star Wars D20 RPG. Personally, I'm somewhat intrigued by the new Force system, as building a Force user (especially Sith) wasn't that much fun in the previous one. This new skill might be more interesting...
  11. Pheonix_Rising Jedi Knight

star 3
    This new system is going to make it easier for a non-jedi to be on par in the force with a Jedi.
  12. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, though the last system made it difficult to be a Jedi as well. You just couldn't be as flexible as the ones in Clone Wars. I think using the Force Aptitude bonus helped clear some of that up. But anyways, I'm interested in this idea of providing alternate class features for various classes, it's been interesting enough in some of the D&D books (and the variants in the Hero's Guide), and the tinkering should help differentiate the characters.
  13. Pheonix_Rising Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maybe I'll start up a D20 SW game when the new rules come out. It should atract a few people at the least, enough for a full party maybe.
  14. Pheonix_Rising Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was throwing this around in my head for a while, thinking on whether I should make it into a Base Class or a Prestige Class. Anyone is welcome to throw idea's my way for additional features...and while we're on the subject, please do throw them at me.
    Knights of the Round:
    The Knights of the Round is another of the Force ''Religions" in the galaxy at this time. By the Jedi, they are considered Grey. The Knights of the Rounds' numbers dwindled at first, but now their numbers have nearly met halfway to the Jedi's. Like the Jedi, the Knights have a very strict code,

To never do outrage nor murder
    Always to flee treason
    To by no means be cruel but to give mercy unto him who asks for mercy
    To always do ladies, gentlewomen and widows succor
    To never force ladies, gentlewomen or widows
    Not to take up battles in wrongful quarrels for love or worldly goods

Also, as the Jedi do, The Knights have a signature weapon, an Echani Weaved Longsword. These are not ordinary longswords, as their Archaic brothers. These have been forged by hand, heated in molten lava, and tempered in icing water. The Knights' governing body is made up of Twelve 'Lord Generals' that sit around a Round Table. There are no superiors(but there are elders) at this table, and these twelve make the decisions for the Knights Of The Round. The Knights' most senior representative at the 'Table is Lord Zhering, who is said to be Master Valence's equal in both the Force and combat.

The Knights of the Round were started in about 70 ABY after the last of the Yuuzhan Vong were routed out and executed. The Knights were first started by Lord-King Uther after he had decided that the Jedi Code was too restrictive, and did not allow for love or the honor that he so desired. When contemplating his decision, he was visited by a wise Force Adept name Myrddin. Uther desired an order to embody his own beliefs and told this to Myrddin. Myrddin agreed to help Uther in his struggle, if Uther would give him one thing...

At first there were only a few members, but over time more Jedi abandoned the Order and joined the Knights of the Round. This led to troubled histories between the Jedi and Knights, and an even more troubled history between Uther and the former Grandmaster of the Jedi, Aegrius Nim. In a senile act, Aegrius convinced the Republic to launch an attack on the Knights' base on Ruusan, in the Valley of the Jedi. The attack almost wiped out part of the republics forces, but the Jedi intervened. Dictating that Aegrius had gone to the darkside when the anger had overtaken him, the rest of the council had him stripped of his connection to the force.

After the Battle of Ruusan, in 81 ABY, the Knights of the Round took up a militant standpoint in the universe. They were even willing enough to go so far as to patrol the streets of Rim Worlds and deliver 'Justice' to those who did wrong. Following the birth of Uthers son in 101 ABY, the former 'King' of the Knights of the Round died at the age of fifty-seven.

The Knights of the Round almost completely dispearsedafter the death of their leader, but the few who did stay, were loyal to the 'Table. When Uthers son, Zhering, came of age, he took up the mantle his father had, but he did things differently. Instead of being the 'King' of the Knights, he formed a collection of the notable Knights and created the Round Table. This 'Table embodied the equality of each of the Knights, none was better than the other.

Ever since Lord-General Zhering took over the Knights, they have worked alongside Jedi and Republic alike.

Organization: The ruling body of the Knights are twelve notable members of the Knights. These members are called Lord-Generals, and make the decisions concerning the Knights. Originally the Lord-Generals were all in one person, Lord-King Uther.

Induction into the Knights of the Round is a selective process, only one who is already a Knight can accept a newcomer, as a Squire/Apprentice/Padawan equivalent.

Knight of the Round
    Alignment:[//>/>
  15. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
  16. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    The Saga Edition is almost here (or already out if you harass your local small bookstore). Despite people griping about the fact that it's smaller, I must say that I am incredibly excited about this book. Plenty of new and exciting opportunities to do things in our favorite galaxy, with a lot of neat streamlining and plenty of options for creating your favorite character. I think this edition might be enough to stand a chance on the boards.

See for yourself
  17. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooo, check it out. Someone on the Wizards Board made nifty character sheets. Does the awesomeness of the talent trees make you tingle?
  18. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    And update: I now have Saga edition. It is good. Assuming anyone else other than me reads this thread, perhaps we can converse.
  19. Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I stopped in Walden's Books and skimmed through the Saga Edition (while looking at and for new D&D books... none that I don't already have [face_frustrated] ) but it looks interesting enough. Very similar to the original game they came out with awhile back.
  20. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Reading slashdot's review on it I'm encouraged to consider buying it.

Incidentally, does anyone have a .pdf, or access to, a Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters under the WEG d6 system? I've looked for threads over in the d20 forum, but no luck from what I can see ...
  21. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    I have no idea as to what you're talking about.

Anyways, Saga Edition initial impressions: Lots of neat talents, but the thing is that you'll only have ten to eleven of them in your entire career. So it may require some tweaking before I'm entirely happy with the respective power levels of the characters. I'm thinking possibly allowing people to spend feats to pick up extra talents, provided they don't go to an excess, and the feat slots have to be the standard leveling feats rather than any bonus feats from classes. Of course, I also give players feats at first and every even level, so maybe it'll balance out. I built a sample character, and I still couldn't pick up all the neat things that I wanted. Oh well.

I'm also considering things like rolling Climb and Jump (and possibly Swim) into an Athletics skill since Balance, Tumble and Escape Artist were rolled into an acrobatics skill. May also twink some talents a bit to make some of them a bit more interesting, though I'm not sure yet. For example, there is a Block talent for blocking melee attacks with your lightsaber, and a Deflect talent for blocking ranged (and a separate Reflect talent for reflecting blaster shots at opponents). It seems overpowered at beginning levels to condense Block and Reflect into one talent, but it also seems somewhat unfair to make them spend so many of their talents just to keep up with the Jedi in the movies. Also, Sever Force and Battle Meditation don't seem to match up with their uses in the EU, which makes me think they might be better off as Talents rather than just powers (the other powers are pretty neat though, the dark side powers like lightning and grip are positively frightening). (Edit: Battle Meditation *is* a Talent, just not a very impressive one. Spend a Force Point to grant all allies within 6 squares a +1 bonus to attack rolls so long as they remain within range)

Minor gripes aside, I do like what I've seen so far though.
  22. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    So I don't forget about it later...

The Invisible Castle is a swanky dice-rolling program. Lots of neat stuff, and allows anyone to roll any combination of dice from anywhere without having to worry about e-mail, as everything is stored on the server (and it's by character too! With optional descriptive text!).

And my urge to play some D&D is rising.
  23. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    This site might prove useful - http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/tradewars/GG6.shtml

And unusual to see LW claim not to know what someone is talking about; shoe on the other foot, and so on.
  24. darthmythos Jedi Padawan

I'm interested in playing in a SW:RPG d20 campaign if anyone is still interested in running one.

I have the original d20 sourcebook, not the revised edition.

OpenRPG or IRC are probably the best options still for online roleplaying. You can visit OpenRPG for more information on this.
  25. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, there's a few games over here you could certainly get involved in. On this section of the forums, the only one who's running anything resembling a Saga Edition game is me, and that's because I've statted out the characters and am using Saga rules to determine how well the players perform whatever it is they're up to. Only one other player actually has Saga Edition, so it's sort of interesting.

On a related note, I picked up Starships of the Galaxy. I probably should have ordered it online to save some money, but I had some gift cards at Borders, so I picked it up along with the Essential Guide to the Force. It's very nice. I'm especially interested in the new talents, maneuvers and customization options for vehicles. Still, some of the pricing options seem a little odd. 100,000,000 credits for a stygium crystal cloaking device? It seems like it should be priced more by era availability, since the Sith stashed these things on starfighters out the wazoo in KotOR, and the Empire had a massive love affair with them during the Phantom TIE project (they cloaked an entire SSD... apparently, they decided it was a brilliant idea to blow open the planet the crystals were found out to save them the cost of mining). Seems like it'd be more accurate to put it at something like 2,000,000 credits base, thus making it so it's merely a hundred times more expensive to cloak a vessel than it is to build one. Otherwise, Maul's Scimitar is valued at something like 500,000,000 for the cloak alone... Also, the Starship Designer feat should probably provide emplacement points that scale up a bit with the size of the vessel... it seems silly otherwise.

Also, I am noticing a rather strong Freudian motif between the Empire, the New Republic, and the Star Dreadnoughts. You know what the ladies say about a man with a 20 kilometer ship.

But as mentioned before: Tweaking out your vessel is incredibly fun.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza