main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Dodonna: "May the force be with you"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Floyd, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Floyd

Darth-Floyd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    This has been bugging me for a long time.

In ANH, when the rebels are going to attack the Death Star, Dodonna says May the force be with you. Why? Most people think the Jedi are extinct, others simply don´t belive that the force exists (Solo for instance)

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Why do people still say "bless you" when people sneeze? Do you believe someone could get infected by an evil spirit and/or die if you don't say it? Of course not. It's just a habit ingrained in our society, much like I wager saying "May the Force be with you" is to wish someone luck. The Jedi heydey was only a couple of decades prior, afterall.

L8r

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Perhaps he was around during the days of the Jedi and saw what happened to them, and figures he's fighting the good fight... the fight the Jedi tried to fight (from what was considered "good" then) and he just started that tradition.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dodonna was fomerly of the Old Republic Navy, so he probably picked it up from the Jedi he likely met during the Clone Wars.

5. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Hell, they're badly outnumbered, so they're gonna need all the help they can get, even if it's from an "ancient religion."

6. Jedi_Riggs

Jedi_Riggs Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    General Dodonna was a fairly old fellow; unlike, say, Han Solo, he'd have lived well into adulthood before the Jedi Order "met its destiny". Therefore, he's much less likely to accept the Imperial propaganda about the "outdated" Jedi and their "simple tricks and nonsense" than someone who's grown up being force-fed the party line.

Plus, the Jedi were an extremely important part of the Old Republic, the traditional ways of which the Rebellion was fighting to restore -- so it stands to reason the Rebellion would also be strongly supportive of the Jedi and their ways. Dodonna said, "may the Force be with you" because it symbolizes and encapsulates a belief in the ways of a "more civilized age".

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, Dodonna's pretty old, so chances are good that he knew of the Jedi back when they existed.

8. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    Yeah, they'r out numbered and if they fail then they'r all going to die and the planet destroyed. This is the moment to stand up and be counted. "May god bless you" or "may god be on our side" "please god help us" is the same as "may the force be with you"
    Although Im not religious and other people arent also, if they'r about to die then im sure they'd say a prayer or two in the vain hope that a mystical force will help them.

9. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Well, it's not just Dodonna. In ROTJ, Ackbar does say "May the Force be with us".
    I always saw this as a way for the rebels to keep the memory of the jedi knights and the fact that they all died to serve the true republic. It's a testimony to the jedi's ideals.

10. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    I was just going to post this exact thread today! lol

When I was watching ROTJ the other day, it struck me that Admiral Ackbar said "May the Force be with us". And I thought.....well, the Force is around all living things, so technically it is with them, they just can't use it the way a Jedi can.

As I thought about it more I was just thinking it was more of a "God be with us" or like "good luck".

11. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Yeah, contrast that with Leia's briefing of the pilots in ESB, where all she says at the end is "Good luck."

I think only the older generation really understand what the Force and the Jedi were really all about.

12. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    If you read the EU (specifically The Krytos Trap, Isard's Revenge and I, Jedi) you'll see that Dodonna knew Nejaa Halcyon, a Jedi Master, in the Clone Wars.

13. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Because...Dodonna is really.....

SIFO DIAS!!!!!

Errrr....maybe he's Darth Maul, or Qui-Gon...

14. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Even if it's not the type of thing somebody like Dodonna would say on a daily basis, I think it's perfectly believable that Dodonna was familiar with the concept of the Force and may have "believed" in it if that's even relevant.

Also, I think it was meant to be inspiring to the pilots, a reminder of the fact that they were fighting to restore the old republic, and even though they were not Jedi, they were the successors of the Jedi legacy in the sense that they were fighting to restore peace and justice to the galaxy.

15. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2001
    In addition to the explanations already here, I would've thought Luke and/or Leia would've told the Rebels about Kenobi's contribution while inside DS1, revitalizing hope in the Force/Jedi.

16. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    I wondered about that myself. He probably said it because it was... I dunno... Republicy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.