main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One General Draven

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by scum&villainy, Dec 23, 2016.

1. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    I really like the actor who played him, he does the aloof, ruling class Brit that we love to hate so well.

So what's the opinion on General Draven? Tough military leader willing to do whatever's necessary for the noble cause, or a callous business-like stiff who's more imperial than he'd care to admit?

And what happened to him?

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and TheReal_Rebel like this.
  2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hopefully he was visiting fellow conspirators on Alderaan after the attack on Scarif :p

oncafar, SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  3. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    This guy was an idiot. Who taught this guy spycraft, Jar Jar? His orders should have been capture if possible, if unable to: kill. This would have even resulted in real tension between Jyn and Cassian when they saw Krennic show up, making capture impossible.

4. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm not feeling any love for Draven. I find your lack of love disturbing

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I found him very pragmatic. Ordering the death of Galen Erso is exactly what he would do in a real life situation. Although this is a film, we as the audience have the advantage of knowing Galen is honourable - Draven doesn't! He is a man building terrible war machines. And even after Draven finds out about the Death Star the scary thought must have been "Well, what's next then?"

The alliance send their men to blow up the Death Star
    The alliance send their men to blow up the 2nd Death Star (With the added bonus of knowing Palpatine is onboard) ...where is his "capture if possible" ? The 2nd Death Star is not even (as far as the alliance are concerned) ready to go.
    Draven sent Cassian to kill Galen. The same way your country arms you and says "Go kill the bad guys" Nothing new...

I loved his interpretation! Felt realistic...

vncredleader likes this.
  6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    He's Snoke. He's cruel. The Rebels didn't listen to him. He seeks revenge. My Snoke theory sucks!

Prophet 49 likes this.
  7. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Loved the character. Loved the actor. More please!

8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah if we did get another rebel based OT era anthology film I wouldn't mind see more of Draven.

9. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I said what I thought about him in on pg 3 of the Trust Goes Both Ways thread. WebLurker also discussed him, sharing info from the novelization. Mainly I thought he was a very interesting character. I disagreed with all of his decisions though lol.

10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    scum&villainy wrote

And what happened to him?

He supposedly went down with the Hammerhead Corvette he was commanding (and a nice proof that a general can command a spacecraft...).

Just read an interview with the CGI / VFX guys a few days ago, they left his fate somewhat ambiguous but inserted several escape pods that are being jettisoned from the Hammerhead Corvette as it takes the Star Destroyers down.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    HE was the commander of that Corvette? Did he put on fake eyebrows or what?

I think Draven is a great character. He fits right in there with the ANH era Rebels. Good addition!

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't remember seeing Draven at Scarif... ?

13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Lulu Mars wrote

HE was the commander of that Corvette?

Yes, we saw him on the bridge of that Corvette, giving the order to ram the crippled Star Destroyer.

I really liked the scene, now that a general could be the captain of a spacecraft, I think it's fair to assume that a colonel could be the captain of a consular ship (> http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ep-vii-spoilers.50024351/page-7#post-54079674 ):

[​IMG]

(I assume this image is legit, as it apparently has been provided by ILM / Lucasfilm for this interview: http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-vfx-interview/ )

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That was not Draven on the Hammerhead. That guy was Kado Oquone and was played by Angus Wright who is definitely not Alistair Petrie

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kado_Oquoné

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    vncredleader wrote

That was not Draven on the Hammerhead. That guy was Kado Oquone and was played by Angus Wright who is definitely not Alistair Petrie

Then I stand corrected, apparently I focused too much on the general rank badge (5 red dots) and thought it was the actor playing Draven - or am I misrembering this one, too?

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    He was a captain apparently so 2 blue dots. Who knows though, maybe the costume department screwed up.

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    vncredleader

I did see the film twice and remember being surprised to see a general on the bridge of a ship, so I'd like to think I wasn't imagining things.

However, taking another *cough* look at his particular scene on the www (the part that's available) I just notice an Alliance captain with a rank badge with two dots and what's obviously a Hoth uniform with the characteristic "turtleneck" (seen before on General Madine's copilot in ROJ, nice continuity touch, BTW).

[​IMG]

I'm definitely not trying to instigate a wild goose chase, but if somebody else has watched the European release and noticed a difference, please let us / me know. Thanks!

vncredleader likes this.
  18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed, but he's a realistic idiot. There are certainly people in the revolutionary worlds of past and present that were far more interested in symbolic victories related to public displays of vengeance, than in practically-oriented intelligence gathering and military operations. And if you think of the Rebel Alliance as a revolutionary group that could use all the symbolic victories it could get, in order to help with recruitment, etc, then Draven makes a lot of sense. So yeah, he's a fool. But he's the kind of fool that has existed throughout history.

Iron_lord and oncafar like this.
  19. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    There's no analogue of British bombing a German nuclear research facility, but they did bomb Peenemunde the V2, terror weapon, research facility (Operation Hydra). Their very first raid was intended to eliminate as many research personnel as possible. As for snubfighters taking out an enemy combatant in uniform, the U.S. sent P-38 Lightnings to shoot down Admiral Yamamoto (Operation Vengeance).

Iron_lord, oncafar and Sarge like this.
  20. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    He was wrong to go against Mon Mothma behind her back. Respecting the authority of the agreed upon leader is more important than ever in a rebel movement that desperately needs to be as legitimate as possible and competent enough to replace the established government of the galaxy, otherwise it's just an unfocused band of thugs and criminals.

El Jedi Colombiano, oncafar and Sarge like this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I second the motion. [face_devil]

22. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    I thought he was great. I liked when he called Jyn "girl".

23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I don't get why people hated him. He was a jerk sure and made bad calls but they all made sense as to why he would make those bad calls. He was great cause he was not a strawman or at leas the actor did not play him that way. He got in the hero's way yes but always because he was doing his job. Going behind Mothma's back was wrong yes but at the same time you get the sense that any time the alliance goes by committee decision nothing gets done. He made a bad call don't get me wrong but he is clearly always trying to do what he deems right or a necessary evil. Not to mention that he seems honestly worried and regretful when he nearly kills his own people. He is not a monster just a good man who has become misguided. That is one of the most classic Star wars ideas out there.

I love that he is someone who was involved in the Clone wars so to him all these people seem like a bunch of annoying kids. I expected him to be like "And I would have been able to have more info to go off of if it wasn't for you darn kids and your dang inability to grab a freaking usb drive"

Iron_lord, Torib, Avnar and 1 other person like this.
  24. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    Considering he went behind Mon's back and instructed Cassian to ignore Mon's order to capture Galen (to bring him before the Senate) and ordered Cassian to instead kill Galen, Draven should have been criminally charged or, at the very least, forever relieved of any duties within the Rebel Alliance.

Sarge likes this.
  25. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think draven needed a vacation. but unfortunately there is no rest for the weary and oppressed! but for the sleep of death.

vncredleader likes this.