main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Greivous Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ScoobySkywalker, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    The simple truth is that GL originally envisioned GG as a total badass, this is what he told the Cartoon Network crew.However, during ep3's production he changed his mind & decided that Grievous was to be a cowardly type who'd rather run than fight.

2. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    People seem to keep forgetting what Dooku told Grievous in the CW cartoon. In his training he told Grievous that he must defeat the Jedi BEFORE he engaged them by using fear, aggression and intimidation. If any one of those things were lacking, then he should retreat as he would be no match for a skilled Jedi. Anakin and Ob1 obviously show no intimidation or fear which is why Grievous retreats. Therefore, Grievous' actions in the film are totally in character for what we know about him and his training with Dooku. With Anakin and Ob1, he no longer had the advantage as he did with previous Jedi, plus he had internal injuries from Mace's force crush.

3. Cody-Vinahka

Cody-Vinahka Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2005
    He does get injured in the chest when Mace tries to catch-up to him before he escapes, but still it's no excuse to run away from Obi-wan and Anakin, and then not giving Obi-wan a single scratch in the Grievous and Obi-wan duel.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Ventress wasn't an apprentice. She was just a random darksider that Dooku and Palps used to their advantage until they were done with her.

5. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    there are good reasons for grievous' transformation between the clone wars and revenge of the sith. the problem is, they aren't addressed in the film, hence many non-obsessive fans either dislike the general or don't understand him. hell, mace windu even calls him a coward in the film. wt*?

6. Jejlep

Jejlep Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2002
    Grievous' apparent inconsistencies are due to changes made to Episode III before its release. I think that Boba Fett's "first" appearance was animated in the Star Wars Holiday Special. I've never seen the Special, but I have a feeling that Fett, too, was mischaracterized.

7. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

Come on guys the Clone Wars cartoon is full of exageration. Remember the Mace v.s. Droid army episode?

You could say this about any character, its a cartoon for christs sakes!

8. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Thats the standard hero to villain cliched insult and not meant to be given more credit than that.

I for one dont see any changes between Grevious's to get worried about. Both times he fought dirty. He bugged out on Obi wan beacuse an army showed up, not becuase he was scared.

9. DarthSchnauzer

DarthSchnauzer Jedi Master

Feb 1, 2005
    The Clone Wars Cartoons actually made a lot more sense than either of the three prequels. The reason for this could only be GL himself. The following list are things I didn't understand about the Obi-Wan vs General Grievous encounter. If somebody could explain them to me I would be thankful since I don't have access to any Star Wars dictionaries.
    1. Why would GG after having seen Obi-Wan take out all his remaining personal bodyguards choose to engage him himself? Obi-Wan was surrounded by literally hundreds of droids at that moment. A "Fire!" from GG would have solved the problem of "The Negotiator". GG was supposed to be the master tactician wasn't he? With Dooku just having lost his head, GG was the leader of the separatists and as such would be more even more important for the success of the separatists. A tactician would surely know this and not put himself in unneccesary danger at this point in time. It doesn't make sense.
    2. GG attacks Obi-Wan and pretty soon looses two of his four arms (which apparently hurts!?). That must have been a little terrifying for GG and any other master tactician would think twice of continuing such an engagement. At that moment the republic attacks and clonetroopers swarm all over the place. So with only half his ordinary arsenal against a foe who easily loped off GG arms and doesn't even have a scratch on him, and all his troops engaged by clonetroopers does he change his tactics? No, he presses on, laughs and says "Surely you must realize you are all doomed". It doesn't make sense.
    3. Why would Obi-Wans saber unclip from his belt while riding his beast when it stays on during the most acrobatic of gymnastics? It doesn't make sense.
    4. When GG arrived on the planet he had himself serviced and so cured the cough and wounds that Mace gave him. He would then be "fully operational" and as powerful as he was in the Clone Wars cartoon. He clearly isn't. It doesn't make sense.

I could make a very very long similar list when thinking about the ROTS as a whole. Just having seen it for the second time I find myself actually angry with the whole prequel trilogy. There are just so many mistakes that could easily have been avoided. Being old enough to actually have seen the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in the theatres means that I'm old enough to want more from a movie than eye-candy. I salute GL for bringing us the Star Wars mythology and particularly A New Hope, but as a director he is abyssmal. The whole franchise would have been better off if GL had lain down the basic story of the prequels and let someone else finish the scripts and direct (and edit) them. He could still have been involved in the design since that is the area he excels in. I'm sorry for this rant but I'm getting downright upset thinking about the ROTS since for me it was such a dissapointment. Having GL involved in the two TV shows probably means that I will continue to rant and cry for several more years. Thank God for the Clone Wars cartoon and Dark Horse Comics.

10. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

How do you sleep at night? I love ROTS!

:p

11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The cartoon and movie Grievous's are completely dissimilar, but it doesn't really matter, you can enjoy them both. Look at the animated Mace Windu. He could defeat the entire Confederacy barehanded! If movie Yoda was cartoon Yoda, he wouldn't need to command the Clones to concentrate their fire on the nearest starship, he could just drop it to the ground like a pebble, or smash it into another one in the atmosphere...

12. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

[image=http://www.japanstarwars.com/episode3/grievious-clonewars.jpg]

Yeah... they're exactly alike huh? GL was just trying to screw with us again! He makes awful movies! I hate him, I hate him, I hate him! :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.