main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Grievous costume...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sal, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Loved the costume at CIII so I totally aped it for the premier. Built the head from a couple of junk hardhats and a domed plastic trash can from Wally world. My head is inside the chest area and I'm totally covered in black. the whole thing cost around 40 bucks.[image=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/navarre1095/PCDV0005.jpg]

[image=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/navarre1095/PCDV0004.jpg]

[image=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/navarre1095/PCDV0003.jpg]

[image=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/navarre1095/PCDV0002.jpg]

I would suggest making anything below the hips separate from the torso. It will make the costume much easier to turn. Be prepared for 10,000 hickerbillies to walk up and say, "I kin see y'all in there" The other reactions you'll get make the costume worth doing.

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Well, the guy from C3 has been seen here, so I don't have to fish through and post images. But here's a little something I ran across that didn't settle with me too well:

The Grevious costume is very impressive, but who the ---- works that hard on a costume of such a stupid character? I disqualify him on grounds that his costume reminded me that such a terrible blemish added to the major disappointment that was the prequel Star Wars trilogy. Just when all thoughts of Grevious' lack of bad--- scenes killing Jedi, ridiculous coughing, and horrible death scene were almost gone from my mind.

Maybe this will discourage you as much as it did me. Note: I did some editing to make it a little more appropriate for the viewers of this forum.

3. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Ignoramus, period. Generally anyone that makes those kind of ridiculous comments would never even dream of wearing a costume much less making one. Don't let it discourage you, that guy is NOT one of the Illuminati. He's as mundane as the rest. Get used to comments like that, even from the other geeks (yes, we're GEEKS). I made my first set of stormtrooper armour out of aluminum flashing in 1978 and have been making props and costumes from household junk ever since. If you're going to stand out, you will be a target for stupid comments.

4. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    I must confess however, that I have criticized other costumers. Like that one guy that threw part of a vader helmet over a 3PO mask and and old blue bathrobe. Or, who the frell is that guy that puts on a vader mask and a 3-piece suit and wants to mug it up for the TV cameras when we've got troopers in 2500 dollar armour? there, I've said my piece. Grampa Navarre will shut up for a bit.

5. 6_fingers

6_fingers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2006
    there was mention earlier about how contact lenses would add a lot to the costume, does anyone know where perscription novelty lenses of such color and pupil shape could be obtained?

6. King_of_Skulls

King_of_Skulls Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2006
    Thisis probably the best Grievous I've seen to date (granted that's only 3 or 4 costume attempts, but still).

Not really a tutorial here, but enough reference photos of his process to complete it I'd think

7. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    What do you mean 3/4? Earl B.'s the only one I've seen (and I've googled 'general grievous costume' too many times to count)! Please, if there are any others I want links to see them.

8. King_of_Skulls

Jan 29, 2006
    The others that are online I've seen are already posted in this thread. There is a guy that lives in my local area that has one, but it's made like the c3 Grievous; and not sure if he has pics online. If not, I'll try to get some and post em when I can.

The c3 Costume looks fairly simple to make, now that there is a basis for it. I may try to put one together soon but have so much on my plate atm (trying a revan costume atm, remaking my giant robot, and replacng my TIE costume which was stolen - who steals star wars stuff anyway?) I may bump Grieous up on my list, if/when I do I'll photo reference it

9. Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005

These are the best ones I found for full sclera lenses (covering the whites of your eyes)

http://9mmsfx.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=9SE&Product_Code=C&Category_Code=SL1

other lens options:

http://www.coastalcontacts.com/products.cfm?formkey=060218111638&Dispgroup=1&CatID=12

For my costume I'm using taxadermy reptile eyes since my own eyes are not in the right place to look out his mask.

Here's the GG costume from Comic-con last year
    http://members.cox.net/artchic84/cc2005/comiccon21.jpg

10. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Mine is a pale imitation of the one at CIII. I was in a hurry and got it done just in time to wear to the first showing. The eyes are based on the cartoon grievous and are painted onto the backside of some pieces cut from 2-liter bottle bottoms then hotglued to the skull base behind the mask. I put hotglue around the plastic several times and then painted that a sickly pink.

11. 6_fingers

Jan 18, 2006
    thanks for the links, the problem i was having was the fact that im pretty well blind without my glasses, anyways just out of curiosity, how much puppetering are you guys thinking about for your costumes?

12. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Like the one at CIII (who gets ALL the credit), mine is basically a big puppet that you wear. Your head is where the General's organ jar is. Since your head is covered by a couple of pair of black panty hose (or whatever) you can wear your glasses and get away with it. If you make sure your cape has a black liner instead of being completely light colored it will help the illusion a bit more.

13. Fusionbomb

Mar 25, 2005
    I've started a blog to document my progress on my costume. I've just finished making the mask. I'll post any updates here as they come.

http://ggcostume.blogspot.com/

14. 6_fingers

Jan 18, 2006
    the reason i ask i because im trying to build it with almost no puppeteering, im pretty tall and fairly skinny so i think i could pull it off, i think in the databank entry it says grievous is just over seven foot (i may have converted it from metric incorrectly) and the feet ive designed should put me at a modest 6'8", if i add a little bit of hunch to the shoulders that should just about do it.

15. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    That is frakkin' EXCELLENT Fusionbomb!

16. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Fusionbomb - very interesting concept for the costume! I look forward to following your progress.

Good luck!

17. King_of_Skulls

Jan 29, 2006
    I was under the impression that it isn't possible to remain stationary and you had to stay moving on powerisers. If this is so, it'd make appearances and conventions a pain (having to find a corner to lean on to rest, undress, etc)

I've not used them before so I may not be correct (I'd like to know if not).. As an alternative, you may try 'Jaywalkers'

18. 6_fingers

Jan 18, 2006
    awesome stuff fusionbomb! especially for the legs, im not sure what jaywalkers are, but if youve seen any of the stuff on the making of 'Underworld' those stilts they use for the lycans would be perfect for grievous.

19. Fusionbomb

Mar 25, 2005
    You're right about that. Thats why I have the Electrostaff to go along with it to act as a walking stick and for stationary stability.

20. King_of_Skulls

Jan 29, 2006
    ah, gotcha.. I didn't know they could be stabalized as easy as a walking stick; as said, I've never used them.. I am thinking about buying a pair however, nbot for costuming, just bouncing around and all :)

I'm assuming you've had experience with them, how do you like em?

----

and back on topic...

What are you planning on making your force pike out of?

21. Fusionbomb

Mar 25, 2005
    They are pretty fun. But they take a while to get used to. Its a lot like learning how to rollerskate or ride a bike. I spent the first two hours just trying to safely walk about five feet. And the first day I was comfortable running with them I ate **** after slipping on a few dry leaves. There's a whole community of people devoted to them on Tribe.net. A great resource for everything and anything about 'risers.

http://poweriser.tribe.net/

This is another part of my costume thats going through changes after recent photo reference discoveries. Originally I thought the shaft of GG's staff was a round tube with black grips like on Vader's lightsaber. But then I studied one shot of it a little closer and found that its actually made up of a group of smaller tubes. So instead of the composite closet rod from Home Depot I was intending on using I'll probably end up using six or seven aluminum tubes. Depends if I have the cash to get them and I can find ones long enough.

The ends are Stainless steel exhaust tips that you can get at places like Auto Zone. And I'll be using two strobing purple EL wire strands for the light FX. I still need some chrome hemispheres for the end caps though.

Here's the other thread on ElectroBlades
    http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/23125483/p2/?36

22. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Really great start there!
    I would sometime like to attempt to make a GG head again, like a bust, but I dont have alot of time as of yet, maybe when spring comes along.

23. The_Clone_Emperor

The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    [color=006699]A charming General Grievous performance by {i]Chip[/i] from Dragon*Con 2005.
    [image=http://www.dragoncon.org/photos05/masquerade/images/dc_masq0195.jpg]
    This is a film of him in action.

And another from Rebelscum's 2005 Halloween Costume Contest;
    [image=http://www.rebelscum.com/halloween/2005/Jonah.jpg]

Another nice shot of the General at Comic Con;
    [image=http://static.flickr.com/22/28115067_1c69569970_b.jpg]

PS
    About Rogue's Gallery (Clone Wars Tales III, by Dark Horse, General Grievous supposedly meets and beats DURGE and Asajj Ventress); 1. If Jedi could not "sneak-up" on DURGE, no android would be able to do better. 2. General Grievous, regardless of configuration, is not taller than DURGE. And I doubt that that dainty frame of his could possibly have enough mass to deliver a punch strong enough to send DURGE flying. 3. ¡Rematch![/color]

24. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Those are some great pics. Man, been forever since I've been here, internet's been down. Anyways, I'm seriously thinking about trying this next year (too many things this year). I'm probably only going to try 2 arms, but I'd love to figure out a way to do 4. Any ideas?

25. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Bump.

So, how's everything been going with everybody? I've been doing some more thinking on this project. I'm going to use PVC pipe for all of the frame except for the thighs. Those are going to be wood. I'll either use PVC sheet or posterboard for the armored plating. I'm going to make the arms 'splittable' even though I only plan on using two. This way, later on, if I find a way to control four arms I'll be able to incorporate that into the existing structure. As far as stance and how I'm going to control the costume I'm going to make him crouching like he does at the beginning of the film. I'm a short guy, so I can't have him standing straight and tall. Also his head kinda tilts back when he does crouch, I plan to position my costume like that as well. I saw Matt Wood at a con last weekend and I realized I don't sound too much different from him, but I'd still need to get some kind of device to make my voice sound metallic and cold. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.