main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Grievous in the SW: Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    [image=http://starwars.com/theclonewars/news/img/20080220_sm.jpg]

Okay. So. Mr Grievous. Where art thou?

This thread stems primarily as a starting point to discuss Grievous and his involvement in the new series, but it also comes out of my surprise ? my surprise in seeing a sum total of zero Grievous in the most recent trailer for the new animated series. Technically speaking, maybe not zero, as he was in one panning shot of the Separatist leaders . . .

Still, my point is that in Dave Filoni's introduction video to this new series, he states quite clearly that "We'll see a lot more General Grievous". Yet in what way will we see him?

A lot of the focus appears to be with Ventress, currently. I honestly want to see a lot of Grievous action. It was the original Tartakovsky series that showcased him. He was in ROTS, obviously, but probably not for long enough. I'd like to get to know his character. In this animated form, I think he will look awesome and truly shine (in an evil way, of course).

What I want to see is him take out a Jedi. Or two.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I always felt GG was a disappointing, throw-away character in Episode III. It'll be interesting to see whether the Clone Wars expands his character more and justifies his presense in ROTS.

I suppose Grievous isn't in the trailer because he doesn't figure in that particular story very much. I'm sure as the TV series develop's we'll see more of him. Infact, maybe we'll even get to see a little of his backstory at some point, and find out just what happened to him, to make become half machine, half organic.

3. Cid

Cid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2007
    GG seemed like he was tossed in there to sell an action figure. But then, throw away bad-guys are a hallmark of the PT (Maul, Dooku, GG, J Fett). Sigh... Add them all together and they don't add up to a single Vader. Sad part is i liked Dooku and Maul (GG might have been ok, don't have much use for Fett at all since he's GL ripping off one of his own character).

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think the primary objective of GG was to mimic Darth Vader. Half alien/half machine Vs half human/half machine.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, pretty much. And he's a mustache-twirling "classic" villain I think.

I expect we'll probably see him very briefly in SW:TCW the film, exactly because he doesn't figure into the story. They're probably trying to introduce fans to characters like Ventress.

They have confirmed we'll be seeing a lot of Grievous, which should be a lot of fun.

6. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Though I doubt it will happen, I think it would be cool if in the early episodes (and the movie, obviously) Grievous is just a commander, and so we do not see him as much. But as the series goes on he continues to impress Dooku with his Jedi killings and war tactics, and so we get to see him elevated to the role of General.

7. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I wasn't at C4, but didn't Dave hint at us getting to see GG's backstory?

8. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    I never liked GG much either (though I am interested to learn more about him). I just felt like he came out of nowhere and wasn't very interesting in ROTS. Dooku never did much for me either. Maul I thought was a great character and a worthy villain for the Prequels...until he got chopped in half a third of the way through. I understand the roles that GL wanted those villains but the execution wasn't great. The most popular villain in the Prequels died in the first installment and the other two were never fully developed and never had the "it" factor to begin with.

I wish they could have done more with Maul. I know they needed a leader figure in Dooku for the separatists, but they ended up needing someone to do the dirty work anyway in Ventress.

They should have stuck with Sidious as the Dark Lord, Maul as a Sith apprentice and Dooku as a Dark Jedi.

Oh well...

9. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    I can't answer your question, but I hope they do - and I hope it is based on the back story given in Star Wars Visionaries. The fact that it was written by the artist who designed Grievous for ROTS (Warren Fu) based on George's artistic input, is really cool to me. That story is what made me like Grievous - very tragic, adds so much depth to the character. Anyone who hasn't read it owes it to themselves to check it out [face_peace]

10. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I really hope they work on making Grevious something other than a plot device to get Obi-Wan away from Anakin in ROTS, especially since it seems like there is a lot that could be developed.

Also, I have a question. What is his relationship to Ventress, exactly? Like, are they allies? Competitors?

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You'll want to track down a copy of Unknown Solider: The Story of General Grievous- a fantastic article by Abel Pena (which also manages to integrate the aforementioned Visionaries story in a manner that makes sense) that appeared in SW Insider 86, which details his whole backstory. They even made figures based on it, IIRC.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/41/TheStoryOfGeneralGrievous.jpg] [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/e/e0/Grievous_original.jpg] [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/db/QymaenRonderuHuks.jpg]

I remember I was surprised to see rather great costumes of pre-cyborg Grievous and his mate at C4 as well.

She's a CIS Commander, IIRC, and thus is lower in rank than the good General. In one of the CW Adventure comics, Dooku had Grievous beatdown both her and Durge in a sparring battle before handing him full command of the CIS forces, so I would imagine she wasn't too happy about that, but realized it wasn't a battle she could win. She was pretty resentful of Dooku (and by extension, Grievous)'s willingness to abandon her to the Jedi in the Obsession miniseries, so depending on when this series is set in relation to that, could reflect her relation to Grievous.

12. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    However I think he was more effective as a savage jedi killer in the Clone Wars tie-in material than a mustach twirling type especially when he was suppose to be a precursor to Vader.

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That's the thing: I would like to see some of that. It would also show just how nicely Obi-Wan did against him in ROTS.

Sweet images, Quest, thanks for those. I was unaware of his back-story, so those look surprisingly cool.

14. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    Yea I definitely agree. I remember seeing him in the CW shorts and thinking "Wow, they really seem to fear him. That's pretty cool." But then in ROTS he just wasn't very fierce. I wasn't all that impressed with him.

Hopefully GG in the CW series will be more like we saw in the shorts. A "Jedi killer" feared by all. Forgive the cross-franchise reference here, but GG, like Vader, should have the aura that the Agents did in the original Matrix. You just don't want to be caught going one-on-one with them.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    But no one will ever be as fearsome as Vader, although Maul came close. Why have another simple "fearsome" villain?

I had absolutely no problems with Grievous, I think the film needed some lighter moments, especially because Sidious and Anakin weren't going to give you any.

One thing Lucas does well is make each of his villains distinct; we've never really had a "Snively Whiplash" villain in Star Wars before, and I think it works well with Grievous.

16. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    Exactly! I have been arguing this to my friends since ROTS came out. Grievous had lots of character in ROTS, whereas in the cartoon he seemed a lot like Maul - a silent killer type. I like that the Prequel villains, though under utilized, had unique persona's. Maul was scary and acted like Palpatine's personal hit man, Dooku was a sophisticated politician and ex-Jedi, Jango was the bounty hunter with the added depth of being a loving father, and Grievous was the mustache twisting bad guy who reveled in destruction. None of them are Vader by any means, but that was the point! We get an eclectic cast of villains all leading up to Vader, the Ultimate villain. And after Palpatine goes through all these henchmen, he gets his dream apprentice in Vader.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think we're gonna see a balance between the Jedi-killer and mustache twirling in the series. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to see Grievous collecting a couple lightsabers, so they're gonna hopefully back that up with him in action, while still giving us some absurdly overthetop villain lines to quote!

(I will say the movie Grievous is more quotable than his previous animated incarnation, with sole exception to the awesomely cold "You're lucky they want you alive...")

"Thyme too ah-band-un sheep! Mwa-ha-ha-HA!"

18. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Haha, it took me entirely too long to figure out that you weren't talking about sheep. :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Because you need something to give the Conderacy alittle bit more edge and a hint of credibility as a threat in the Clone Wars especially when you have an organization composed of mostly cowardly business types and rather ineffective droids. Grievous was/is perfect especially in the tie-ins. Brutal, savage, capable of taking on multiple Jedi, he was what Maul could have been if he hadn't been offed by Obi-Wan.

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Just a thought, but do you think Obi-Wan will face him at all in this series? It would add another depth behind his casual "Hello there" ? now one of the most famous lines.

;)

22. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    Looking at the trailer, I have a feeling that Ventress may be the main villain doing the action, and GG may mostly be involved in the 'plot' stuff. And he even demonstrate while Mace refers to him as a coward in ROTS. Which makes me wonder why he would be feared so much if he himself is a coward according to Mace?:confused:

23. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    He can fight with 4 lightsabers.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Plus, who knows? That cough might be contagious... ;)

25. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    hey all,

i was under the impression that when anakin and grievous met in ep3 it was for the first time. do any of you know if they will meet face-to-face in the series?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.