main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Grievous: Mixed fan reactions.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by starwarsagent, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kad

Kad Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I really like GG. He's really the first droid-like enemy the saga has seen. He'll see more action than Maul or Jango, that's for sure..

2. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    SO far all GG reviews have been positive. everyone seems to think he is the best villan ever seen on screen. even more so than vader perhaps.

I just heard GG's theme by john williams. And it has that tribe, raw feel to it and some halloween scary sound to it. its really good.

I wonder what the haters will say next about GG?

3. Speedy_Lube

Speedy_Lube Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    Actually, the Mountain Dew bottle really won me over to him.

4. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    What are the reviews of GG? I can't seem to find them

5. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I really love the design of General Greivous!

However, I will hold off my final judgement until I hear the characters voice. Also, I don't like the bird-like head bob though...

6. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    "I really like GG. He's really the first droid-like enemy the saga has seen. He'll see more action than Maul or Jango, that's for sure"

Um, no he will actually have less now, and that is fine by me.

7. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Grievous gets my vote! I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.

8. Jericho_II

Jericho_II Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed with the "Disposable Villian" label being thrown around. TESB is recognized as being one of the upper-tier SW movies, but, hey, the probe droid was killed off pretty early in that; what, they kill off the snow creature that knocks Luke off of his tauntaun?!?! dammit, the huge asteroid-worm that almost swallowed the Millenium Falcon should have recieved more screen time!!!!

This could go on endlessly; let's face it - the good guys win. Villians will die. The fact that we get all pissy about them dying "too early" is that they ARE cool, and we wish they'd stick around a bit longer! For sure, they may have had a productive (destructive?) existence before we get to see them on screen, but the reason we're seeing them NOW is because it's their pivotal moment, when they're forced into action against one of the main characters. Yeah, I'd love to see Grievous' entire backstory all played out as well, but hey, there ARE time constraints; so what's the alternative, then - that he kill Obi-Wan and get more screen time?

Things play out the way they do for a reason; the one thing that EU has done in a negative sense, is spoil people with unlimited information/action regarding marginal characters; you can always write one more page, but adding another 10 minutes of run-time to a film isn't quite that easy.

Enjoy it for what it is! :)

9. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    Boba fett had one minute screen time and he became an icon. Grievous has more screen time, more action scenes and he fights. he is more than any star wars villan that is just recycled. he should have a more following that boba fett or darth maul. I think the more screen time a villan gets, the better.

grievous is better than boba fett ever will be or was, depending on the OT or PT.

he killed more jedi than him too.

10. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    My final take on Grievous!

He is the most sophisticated star wars villan ever seen on screen. he is cool looking, menacing and fast. he seems very real, you could almost feel his heavyness on screen. like he weights a ton and his voice is so real too. Im very happy about grievous and after seeing ROTS 7 times now, my fav GG scene is when we get a close up of his eyes. he is very agile and a very cool star wars character, better than darth maul and more complicated than darth vader.
    I absolutely loved him. and He is my favs ROTs character now.

11. CoruscantOwnsNaboo

CoruscantOwnsNaboo Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    GG was seriously a lot crapper in ROTS than in the clone wars series...but he was still pretty good. What I really can't take is how when obi-wan comes, and he has FOUR FRICKEN LIGHTSABERS AND STILL LOSES. I was so looking forward to 4 lightsaber-wielding action, and he gets his arms chopped off in like 15 seconds, despite having four times as many weapons as obi-wan. That part I really couldn't believe.

12. Darth_Callidus

Darth_Callidus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I liked GG i just wish that we knew him long ago since TPM, he was basically built up for this one movie called the next bad guy and all, then we see little screen time of him and him going down so fast. i kinda wished GL would have introduced us early the bad guys such as Jango and GG and kept them around a while so we could grow attached to them then it would have had more an impact of their deaths.
    I kinda wished we got to see Dooku in TPM too see him go from a good council member to leaving the order then being shocked he was a sith in AOTC.

13. Grievous_Unleashed

Grievous_Unleashed Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    I loved Grievous; he was awesome. I also hated Maul and thought he was incredibly overrated. My take; Grievous would slaughter Maul any day of the week.

14. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
  15. TopSpeeD

TopSpeeD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2005
    I LOVED GG!!!!!!
    i dont get it why some ppl dont...he was excellent!
    hes voice was very good it realy gave him personallity...

16. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    There is current information speculating that GG was in the geonosis battle. but I dont remember where I read it. he should be added to the AOTC special edition.

17. Sidious_T

Jun 2, 2004
    Too funny.............

18. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    hey sidious, dont be bitter because you hated GG. you always did didnt you. you didnt even give him a chance, you hated him even before he was in film. even when he was barely a concept drawing you decided to hate him.

I find your lack of star wars fandomship disturbing. Are you really a star wars fan or do you just do it to make everyone miserable.

I loved GG and he was a great addition to star wars, if you dont like it, oh well. Lucas is not going to miss you.

19. Sidious_T

Jun 2, 2004
    SWA, I am a fan, not a rabid fanboy. I see the good in the movie, and what in MY OPINION was not so good. In MY OPINION, GG sucked. I didn't need to see the character first to know that in MY OPINION, he would not be a character I could warm up to. I paied close attention to all the articles on him, the talks here, and other places. So don't think MY OPINION was not based on any facts. Otherwise, I thought the movie was excellent.....Satisfied? Now this is the only post about this I am going to reply directly to you on about it. Live and let live.

BTW I won't miss Luca$ ($$$$$) either..... :)

20. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    I respect everyone's opinions. I respect yours.

21. Sidious_T

Jun 2, 2004
    Then we're good.

22. Merton9999

Merton9999 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    When I first saw GG a few months before the film, I thought he was fantastic. The idea of a part human "prototype Vader" driod was cool in itself and his visual design instantly impressed me.

Then I saw the fabulous Clone Wars and my expectations of GG's coolness was confirmed and magnified. He was scary, intimidating, powerful and really sold how that "droid army" collection of tin cans could actually do some damage to the Republic.

But....

First let me say I have seen ROTS 12 times in the theater and it is no contest my favorite movie of the saga, if not all films. I love it in so many ways I won't go into them here. But, my one sole disappointment was the film version of GG! Not just disappointment, but I was almost horrified about how much I didn't like him. GG was the only place where my expectations were vastly under-realized.

First the cough. Please don't meniton again that it was explained in the Clone Wars. I don't have a problem with the continuity aspect. The problem I have is that it made GG laughable, which he should not have been IMO. Every would-be fearsome phrase ended with this stupid cough that made the whole intimidation factor go *clunk*. And it wasn't just me - most of the times I've seen it the people around me giggle at the coughing.

Next, GG effectively does NOTHING in the movie that makes him tangibly evil or scary. He has the telltale voice and "make them suffer" quotes that nominally inform you he is a villain but that's where it ends. I kept waiting for him to crush a head like in the book but he just kept pacing, coughing and getting his hands cut off! Darth Maul became poignant when he killed Qui-Gon. All of GG's evil deeds were detailed in the cartoon, but I really wanted to see the movie version of him portray him on its own as something to be feared. I really don't think you should have know every comic book and CN cartoon short to understand that a villain means business.

In the end, the movie version of GG ended up being an ineffective hunched over emphyzema patient. I try to to find something in him to like every time I watch the movie, but I always fail. He will remain the one thing in the whole PT that just didn't come through for me.

23. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Overall I liked Grievous. I was a little apprehensive about him at first (especially his voice) but everything turned out great. I wish he put out a more challenging fight with Obi-Wan though. Obi-Wan seemed to take him out with ease. Maul was more menacing and looked more threatening when fighting on the other hand. But I guess they just wanted to save most of fighting towards the end of the movie so it really doesn't matter.

Merton9999

I know what you mean. But I actually liked seeing Grievous as a cowardly cyborg villain unlike Vader. I thought his portrayal in the cartoons was too stiff and boring. Not to mention that his voice in the movies sounds more natural (since he is part alien) than the one in the cartoons.

24. GG-DM

GG-DM Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    General Grievous in my opinion was a great character. One of the first word that comes to mind when I see him is menacing. People have said he is the best villian yet... but I disagree. Although General has most of the key ingredients to be suberb villain, there are points where I believe Lucas purposely showed weaknesses. When we hear other character's describe him, they don't hold much respect. Take for example Mace Windu's description, calling hime a "coward". In both times he comes face to face with Jedi, he plays the weaker part, going for the easy option. Firstly in the opening scene, he smashes open the window, and cowardly escapes in the escape pod rather than staying to fight the Jedi. When facing of with Kenobi, he is quick to escape in his roller vechile, avoiding too much confrontation after realising that Kenobi is indeed more superior, cutting off his hands three times. When facing the Jedi both times, he puts forth his body gaurds first, rather being like the more determined villains like Darth Maul and Darth Vader who begin their attack straight away. General Grievous is good, but not the best. ;)

25. GG-DM

GG-DM Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    Another thing to add regarding the multiple sabers:
    Some people complained that Grievous should have beaten Kenobi easily as he outnumbered him in light sabers four to one. But what they fail to realise is that four lightsabers is harder to use then one. You need complete concentration on each lightsaber, much harder than just focusing on the singular one. If you begin focusing on one saber, due to repeated on it, your oppenent could suprise you on a different saber you lost focus on from the concentration on the original. This is one of the key points into Kenobi being able to out duel General Grievous. As for General Grievous defeating Darth Maul, I highly doubt it, and this isn't because I am a Darth Maul fan. Darth Maul was consistent with his double bladed saber, most likely through practise, and because of this, he was one of the best saber fighters ever for the Sith. General Grievous wasn't trained with his four light sabers as he just picked them up as he went along. He also wasn't a very good duelist, being defeated quickly by Obi. Actually, General Grievous barely used his lightsabers at all, most likely to potray that weakness of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.