main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Grievous: Mixed fan reactions.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by starwarsagent, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    IMO, I didn't like GG...not his voice, not his action scenes - none of him really.
    He was not menacing to me.

Him and the silly new battledroid voices were the only low points of ROTS IMO.....but that's just me.

2. Everloony

Everloony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Grievous is a general first and foremost, not a fighter. His strength is strategic attacks. Obi-wan defeated him because, well, he's Obi-wan.

Grievous owns. Period. Darth Maul is a big stupid hunk of poorly designed makeup, grunts, and really, really corny looking teeth. And he killed Qui-gon, for hell's sake. There goes the coolest Jedi ever...stupid Maul. -whacks!-

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It used to be there were fans and non fans, now there are only the fans who like Star Wars, and the fans who don't.

4. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    I don't really hate Grievous, but I don't exactly love him, either.

Strangely, I liked the cowardly version of Grievous better than the "badass cyborg" we saw in Clone Wars. The CW version of Grievous, while cool, didn't strike me as being a very memorable character. A step up from "badass bounty hunter" Durge and "badass Sith Lord" Darth Maul. He seemed very disposable to me.

The movie version gives him this sort of "MUHAHAHAHA!" type of villainy, twirling his cape, lurking around like he wants people to know he's a sneaky villain. The problem for me was his voice. I'm sorry, but he sounded like a high school student doing performing a cheesy Dracula (complete with inconsistent accent) into an oversized fan. Grievous's appearance was menacing, his walk was menacing, his lines were menacing... but they really should've given him a better voice. Both Clone Wars voices were a lot better. I actually wish they'd gotten John DiMaggio to do his high-pitched, Cobra Commander-esque rasp.

Another thing I hated was the cough. From what I understand, the cough was added to let people know that he was organic. It made him sound like an old smoker and on top of that, people still didn't know he was organic. Maybe he shouldn't have been organic in the first place. Did we really need Grievous to know that Vader could be half-machine?

His fighting style was a joke. He claims he was trained by Count Dooku, but we never actually see him duel. He spends the first half of the fight just trying to overwhelm Obi-Wan by having four spinning lightsabers. A few missing hands and one Force push later and Grievous- despite still having two lightsabers (or was it just one?)- decides it's time to run. That fits with the coward trait, but if he was actually trained in lightsaber dueling by Dooku, wouldn't he be able to... you know... duel? I don't mind that he ran, but what we saw reminded me of a Simpsons episode.

"OK, but I'm going to be spinning my lightsabers. If you get hit, it's your own fault."

5. OT_fan

OT_fan Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2004
    I too neither loved or hated him. As blackrock mentioned, its the voice. Just doesn't fit. Other than that, he was fine in the movie.

BTW, funny you mention the Simpsons episode, I had the exact same thought when those sabers started spinning. LOL.

6. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I said it before and I'll say it again - the Star Wars universe doesn't need any more menacing villains who always fearlessly run head-first into battle and kick everyone's asses. Maul, Jango, Dooku, Vader, Stormtroopers, etc. are all the same like that.

Grievous is the first villain that tries to win by being sneaky and tactful! He can put up a fight when he has to, but he plays things out like a villain leader would in real life - by making his henchmen do his dirty work while he makes makes sure he's safe!

That is what made Grievous way cool for me! Otherwise he would have just been another one-dimensional bad guy like Darth Maul *yawn*.

7. Voice_of_Grievous

Voice_of_Grievous Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Do i really need to awnser your question, i think not.

8. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Grievous is the first villain that tries to win by being sneaky and tactful! He can put up a fight when he has to, but he plays things out like a villain leader would in real life - by making his henchmen do his dirty work while he makes makes sure he's safe!

I think you meant "tactical." tactful :p

I agree with you about the henchmen and leader part except, unlike the Imperial officers in the OT, we never actually see him making any command decisions. The opening crawl tells us he is a good general, but I would have like to have actually seen him be a good general.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

9. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I think you have to take into account the fact that the opening crawl is written from the perspective of the GFFA itself.
    With hindsight, of course, Grievous was just another pawn in Palpatine's game, and not the fighting machine everyone misguidedly expected him to be.

He is a hero and the tactical mastermind of the Sepratist forces because the wheels are being greased by Palpatine.

You have to put it into context.
    As the movie opens, war has erupted above the very galactic capital itself and the Supreme Chancellor has, remarkably, been captured and is being held captive on Grievous' flagship.
    That - in terms of what we know going into the movie - is quite a result.
    Of course, we all knew Palps was controlling everything aeons ago, but the crawl still had to be written in the context of what had been established within the narrative so far...

You have to ask youself, was Grievous' tactical ability responsible for all of this, or was it simply the fact that the Sith, effectively, controlled both sides?

The right hand always knew what the left hand was doing.

The Republic or CIS were as effective as Palpatine allowed them to be when it suited his own needs...

10. Vaderdj420

Vaderdj420 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2005
    I agree... Grievous answered to Sidious, so he was basically a pawn. Even in the Clone Wars cartoon, where he was more of bad*ss, he still took his orders from Dooku and Sidious... Just a pawn nothing more. I thought from all the hipe he would have more screen time, maybe be more of a challenge...poo doo

11. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    well, after seeing GG in action over and over and I cant get enough of him. he is menacing, fast and odd looking. A very special star wars villan. But he is funny too at times. I dont event think he is all that evil but is just following orders because sidious saved his life. the only flaw(and there had to be one) is that his heart was exposed and not protected enough. His organs should have been hidden inside his casing. But I suppose that they had to get oxygen somehow. because it was really too easy for Obi-wan to beat him just by shooting a simple laser to his chest. You would think he had more protection?

He died miserably and didnt deserve to burn to death. As a skilled lightsaber fighter, he was simply the best, four at the same time! woah! he could have fought Maul well and Anakin would have no chance. Obi-wan only beat him because he was calm. another thing ive noticed is that GG misses his punches and obiwan dodges them. his hands might be fast, but due to his metal body he walks and moves a little slow at times. but overall, GG was great! his voice was incredible and he looked just real. you wouldnt even know he was all CG.

SWA

12. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Obi-wan only beat him because he was calm."

Actually, at the rate Grevious was spinning his lightsabres it should of been impossible for Obi-Wan to deflect more than one lightsabre before getting the chop. The close shots of Obi-Wan followed by a lightsabre falling proved they couldn't film such a scene properly.

13. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Are people really that dim?

Sure, GG could fight with 4 sabres. Why wasn't he like the best ever? Because he is not a Jedi. He is not attuned to the force. He's just a gimmick.

An Obi Wan is one of the main heroes of the saga. Of COURSE he's gonna kick GG's ass. What's wrong with that?

I thought that the way he died was AWESOME. You people watch too much Japanese Anime.

14. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I think this cyber-guy was hilarious. The way he talked, walked, the way he used his lightsabers like helicopter blades. Funny as hell. Why I consider him as a cyberpunk spoof of a USSR commie officer. His accent was funny, and the musical theme Williams used to represent him sounded like a russian anthem.

15. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think the reason there is such a mixed reaction is because Grievous just comes out of no where in Episode III. (Sorta like Dooku in Episode II, but he was in two movies though) So I think to the average person is thinking "Who the heck is this guy?, Why is he a half-robot?, What is he doing?, Is he a leader or something?, I thought he was with them ... why doesn't he know about Palpatine?". When people start thinking about who this character is they miss the chance to have a good first reaction to the character. And once they miss that first good impression, it's hard to like him as much afterwards.

16. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001

Grievous was a joke; I cannot believe anyone would think he would be a match for any jedi/sith, because he himself was not a forceuser. WHich is why he ran everytime; in fact the sabers he already had were probably either made for him by dooku, or just taken from the jedi who fell to legions of droids on the battlefield.

ALL evidence in the movie points to the fact that grievous is no match for someone trained in the force. This is probably the reason he NEEDS bodyguards, especially those equipped with staves that can hold up against lightsabers.

What a waste of space and time this retarded character was; he belongs in the same junk pile of refuse as Jar Jar and Boss Nass. A shame the time wasted on gg could not have been used to develop Darth Tyrannus some more, or perhaps focus more on the other Jedi before we see them killed.

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Well if nothing else he did provide the headway that a living being can be created into a cyborg. Something that doesn't need to be established, but it does show (in film terms) that it's possible now.

18. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    Grievous was cool looking, somewhat menacing and rather funny with his voice and the way he moved around.

But after two films already done in the Prequel trilogy, he was absolutely out of place within the context of the story. It is okay if a villain only lasted one film as did Maul and Jango; however they had a legitimate place in the story and how the story of Anakin Skywalker progressed.

Maul was the first apprentice of Sidious. His death played a huge role in how things play out with Anakin eventually becoming Sidious's apprentice. Maul killed Qui-Gon, who would have trained Anakin instead of Obi-Wan.

Jango was the template for the clones, who would eventually become the Imperial Stormtroopers. Nuff said!

Grievous has no real impact on the story, except placed there as a way to get Obi-Wan separated from Anakin. I just do not think he was needed, especially as the leader of the droid armies. Grievous should have made his entry into the prequel trilogy in AOTC as leader of the droid armies on Geonosis.

Nevertheless, I for one think he stole Dooku's place.

Darth Sin! :cool:

19. Lady_General_Morgawr

Lady_General_Morgawr Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    Would any non-haters please come to the other thread concerning General Grievous?

20. Darth_Ambitious

Darth_Ambitious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2004
    After Jar-Jar,Grievous is the worst character ever. He is completely pointless, he looks way too advanced, he runs away from Jedi constantly eventhough he is supposed to be a jedi killer, his dialogue in the film is horrid, and his existance in the film takes away time that could be used to develope other characters or develope better plot. Whats with the annyoign coughing, does he have a cold? I saw the clone wars cartoon but average joe star wars fan probably didnt.

21. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Grievous was great, he was funny at times, menacing, but above all he brought with him this western good vs evil feel, which made a nice indirect connection with the OT. I really like it how he call's Obi Wan Kenobi 'General Kenobi, or just 'Kenobi'!

The voice acting was pretty good, good enough for sure. I liked the soviet thing he had going!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.