main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Grievous vs. Durge

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Psychotic_Sith, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Who do you think would win, and which one is simply better?

No matter how amazing the silly little cyborg is to control four lightsabers {six, if he uses his feet}, he could never, IMO, beat Durge. He's just keep regenerating.

As for who is the better character, I also give it to Durge. I'm just not big on a cyborg that can use his feet to wield lightsabers. I find it silly and unconvincing. He looks awsome and he is awsome in battle, but the concept is stupid. Then again, the idea behind Durge {A multi-tentacled monset that can spontaneously regenerate} is somewhat non-Star Wars, but at least it isn't silly, like a robot using his feet to duel a Jedi with the weapon of a Jedi...

Try here...

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    But if in the end he was awesome, what the Hell does it matter what it looks like in concept?
    That's just like saying Yoda sucks because the idea of an 900 year old wise-man frog sounds lame.
    Anyway, Grievous is my favorite character of the two.
    But who would win? I'd like to say Grievous, but how?
    For that matter how could anyone beat Durge? That's my only problem with both heroes and villains who are built up to be Gods: In the end, how do you get rid of them?

3. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    I should have clarified: The way he ACTED was awsome, all evil and sinister. The way he fought wasn't. I nearly wet myself watching him hop around on one foot like some kind of mutant karate master.

LOL, I hope he doesn't get much screentime in Episode III. Maul was by far a better one-episode villain, and was much more badass. This takes the term "badass" into the realm of spoof.

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well it's not like he spent the majority of the fight standing on one foot. If anything, he did it to keep Mundi from getting back his saber.
    But anyway, how do you kill Durge?
    That's also the problem with having Mace Windu: Superman.
    He's gotta die eventually, so, if he can do all that, how do you kill him within the means of Anakin or Grievous, or battle droid 24601?
    Certainly Vader in the OT never gave any hint that he could go against something like Super Mace. Will Grievous?
    GL took this into consideration, I believe, when deciding how powerful to make the Jedi. Don't make them so powerful that you have to suspend too much disbelief in order to kill them.
    Assume for Ep III, Obi-Wan's words come to pass and Darth Vader kills all the Jedi. In order to kill even Mace, we'd have to see him to things we've never seen before. OK fair enough. But where does this power go in the OT?
    It worked in the Matrix where Smith was given God-like powers because Neo defeated within the realm of Matric believability.
    But I doubt any character in Ep III will hop inside Mace to kill both themselves and Mace ;)
    It would seem Lucas does take some things into considerationm when designing his characters ;)
    Now back to Durge. How do you kill him? Send super Mace after him?

Let me add as an afterthought, that I don't hold Super Mace against the cartoon. It's hypeboled entertainment. Going for visual splendor and art over realism. Visual splendor on a short time frame at that. Were this in a movie, I have no doubt that he would've been tossing around far fewer SBDs and the assault on the stomper would've been a full fledged infiltration mission had time allowed.
    Although I feel Anakin and Asaaj's duel was fairly within the realm of believability, as was Yoda's episode.

5. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    Obi-Wan beat Durge twice in the cartoon. He didn't kill him, but I'm going to have to say the guy that didn't get splattered all over the walls should be declared the winner of the fight.

Besides that, I sort of take the way he was presented in Chapter 9 with a grain of salt. I mean, if you want to take the cartoon literally, Mace should be able to take them both at the same tame without breaking a sweat.

So, I'll say Grievous could beat him. If he put some forethought and planning into it, he could probably kill him as well.

Of course, I won't claim to be unbiased because I thought Durge kinda sucked. First a Boba Fett wannabe, then a generic SciFi monster (who's apparently more powerful when he's completely disarmed and wearing no armor). The only thing I didn't like about Grievous too much was the propeller spinning, and I'm betting we're probably not going to see that in Episode III. I liked the prehensile feet and the crane stance (shame we didn't get to see him fight like that), and of course the way he creamed Shaggy. I have to take his abilities with a grain of salt too though; I dunno about the idea of one robotic guy taking on five Jedi masters at the same time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.