main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Grievous - What do we know ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by episodenone, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I interpreted the above quote to mean he'll be onscreen a lot, but I didn't interpret it to mean he'll live long. In fact, I kind of assumed he would die before Dooku. If you assume that the Clone Wars will end pretty early on in the film, and you also assume both Dooku and Grievous must be defeated for the Clone Wars to end, I would think they'll both die rather quickly. I can't imagine either one being alive after the first half.

Besides...the bad guy in the second half of the film will be Darth Vader (minus the helmet), I think, serving the will of the ultimate bad guy, the Emperor. I think Dooku and Grievous will be long gone by then.

Grievous does serve an important role, though, in that he is probably killed by Obi-Wan to establish Obi-Wan as a force to be reckoned with using a saber. It is important to establish his power prior to the duel with Anakin. We'll need to see that Anakin is not the only one who has grown in power since AOTC, that Obi-Wan has also become a dangerous warrior. In AOTC he struggles with Jango Fett (and loses) and is defeated by Dooku. We'll need to see that he can defeat an elite warrior in order for his battle with Anakin to be believable.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Didn't I make a thread on that topic, storm?

Oh yeah, here it is. :-B

At the same time, Grievous can't die in the first 30 minutes, can he? That would seem...weird.

"Hi guys, I'm an over-the-top villain who's a psycho Jedi Killer! I can use lightsabers!"

*Snap-Hiss*

*ZAPPITY ZAP*

"Well, he's done. Next!"

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Why not kill him off a major villian within the first 30 minutes? They did it with Jabba....

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

4. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yep, gotta agree with Garth here. I think Grevious will harass them for awhile. Dooku however, is gonna bite it hard, really early on. Mark my words.

5. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Garth...just because you WROTE it first doesn't mean I didn't THINK it first...maybe I'm just a slow typist...

Anyway, as far as who bites it first, it would seem more anti-climactic to have Dooku go out early than Grievous. The General could be all hype, and die a punk Jabba death quite easily. We know from AOTC tha Dooku is nearly on par with Yoda, so it would be pretty bad if Anakin just mopped the floor with him right from the start.

6. ghost-jedi

ghost-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2004
    Why not kill him off a major villian within the first 30 minutes? They did it with Jabba

I have been saying this for a while now, but I think GG will be the Jabba of ep iii. He will be an imposing threat real early in the movie, only to be killed by our hero, Obi-Wan.

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The difference with Jabba is that he had been mentioned for the past two movies (and has an appearance in one more, looking at the saga in I-VI order), so he had already been introduced, even though we didn't see him until ROTJ. Grievous hasn't even been mentioned, so I'm thinking that to have the necessary impact, he'll need to have a longer presence than Jabba in ROTJ. I can't really think of any characters in the saga to compare that too, though. Maul: Major player, not much screentime, in almost all of movie. Jango: Major player, more screentime, lives through less of movie. So Grievous just continues the pattern - Major player, plenty of screentime, in about half of movie (speculation).

BTW, "major player" just refers to how much the character drives or affects the plot, so that's why I describe Maul as one, even though he isn't in much of the movie, percentage-wise.

8. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Good analysis, Hydronium.

Keep in mind, LFL seems to be heavily marketing Grievous - so much so, that Windy and I had to make him open game here in 3NS. 8-}

It doesn't make sense to build up this character so much - like in CW: Chapter 20, and then have him die 30 minutes in.

Then again, I can't see him dying at the end, so it must be in the middle. Nice logic, Mr. Spock. :rolleyes:

Plus, Lucas has to establish Grievous as a Jedi killing machine (whoops, unintentional), so I expect him to take out some Jedi before Obi-Wan takes him out.

Vader can't have all the fun. 8-}

I guess we're all assuming Obi-Wan takes him out. It makes sense though.

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    maybe we are all wrong ?

i think we are in agreement way too much - there has to be a catch.

i'd like to see another one of the baddies with a major role - if it's GG - then so be it.

obviously maul had very little screen time, jango has more, but not a lot, dooku has way too little imho, and sidious, while a nice part in epI - was non-existent in epII

and since my assumptiuon is that so far i have heard nothing of Durge and / or Assaj Ventriss, then who else???

GG or Dooku - and then... Vader

we need more conflict and more jedi vs. sith

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    From the description of Mace's final saber battle... my prediction is that Grevious and his guards are going to take him out... and I doubt that can happen earlier than halfway through.

There's obviously going to be some Sith fighting... but I doubt as much as people think.

11. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I don't think Mace will bite it from GG, I am thinking his death will need to be more meaningfull, I am thinking someone w/ the first name of Darth.

As far as us not knowing enough about GG, all it will take is something similiar to this during the opening scroll:
    It has been a tumultous time for both the Republic and the Jedi during the Clone Wars. Planets that have witnessed battled have been laid to waste. The Jedi too are facing destruction, w/ The Confederation's newest weapon of destruction, the famed Jedi-killing machine General Grevious, who is part alien and part droid.

That will give those who haven't seen clone wars, or read the eu enough background info.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Maybe GG will die in the middle of the film and then be used by Sidious as a spare parts source for Anakin/ Vader.

13. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Billy_Dee_Binks: Maybe GG will die in the middle of the film and then be used by Sidious as a spare parts source for Anakin/ Vader.

I think that this is a rumor that has been de-bunked by Pablo in his Hyperspace Q&As. Nevertheless, it was a cool rumor.

Judging from what I've seen in chapter 20 of the Clone Wars cartoon, I think that GG will be a major character and will probably make it through 3/4 of the movie. My own opinion is that HE is the one who will begin the Jedi purge -- not in an official capacity though (i.e. getting his orders directly from Sidious). Grievous is going to be the big Jedi-killer in ep. 3, and it's going to be images of this organic-machine wiping out the good ol' knights which will represent the later Purge which we will NOT see on film. Vader's only going to be in the movie for like 5 mins. at the end, and when we see him, I think the audience is going to think: "ah, now someone can continue the work that Grievous started." And with the Separatists out of the picture, Vader will be able to work directly under Sidious, without any middle-men.

14. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    i, for one, while i do not mind GG offing a few jedi - would be really disappointed if Vader is not the #1 Character responsible for killing jedi in mass

anything else would be lame
    but thats my opinion

15. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    If GG were to survive 3/4 of the film, who is going to kill him off? Anakin and Obi-Wan will be quite busy at that point. I'm assuming Mace will be dead.

This would NEVER happen...but...what if the final confrontation of the movie was...General Grievous vs Darth Vader...

16. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    ^^^^^Then I would want my money back from Lucas

17. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Really? I would have thought people might like it. :)

18. Ghost_Jedi

Sep 27, 2003
    There are new reports, (tf.n, 411mania.com) that the voice for GG will be Gary Oldham. This is a great choice in my opinion, as he can really bring to life GG, and would not be affraid to go over the top.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Gary Oldman? Sounds awesome!

I love the voice the Clone Wars GG has. Like intendet it has something very evil about it- kind of Nazi-ish.

20. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Bearing in mind the conversation in ANH on the Death Star between DV and GMTarkin when Vader senses Obi-wan, I would get the impression that it is not Vader who is responsible for the 'jedi purge'. If it had been Vader's job to wipe out the jedi, surely his number 2 target (after Yoda) would have been Kenobi, and therefore would certainly know if he was dead or alive. As he doesn't, I would reckon this means someone else is the main jedi killer - and in the light of the rest of this topic, that would be GG.

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, and the Clone Wars in general, really.

But it's a big galaxy and I'm sure there's Jedi spread out everywhere.

I think it's quite possible that Palps and Vader think Yoda and Obi-Wan were killed.

22. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Interesting thoughts...

Which just led me to another thought. Perhaps Grievous survives Ep III. Perhaps the rumored Star Wars TV show will feature him in a central role. It would certainly be easy, no actor to sign to a contract. He could survive the films, then continue with the destruction of the Jedi Order on TV, culminating in a final Episode where Palpatine, no longer having any use for the General because the Jedi are dead, sends Vader to destroy him. The final episode being the duel between Vader and Grievous.

23. Emperor_Windy

Emperor_Windy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    what if grievous is half droid, half maul?....i mean the top half, if theres one man in the universe who could have saved maul, its sidious and his trickery

24. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Maul fell down a gigantic pit. The fall would have liquified him.

You must remember that the specific reason GL had Maul cut in half on top of falling down a bottomless pit was to drive the point to the audience that he wasn't coming back ;)

25. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    This movie is already awesome enough as it is. If one of my favourite actors, Gary Oldman, were to be cast in the role I'm most interested in right now, well then the movie would be too awesome. All the awesomeness would be too much pressure and the movie will explode into millions of pieces!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.