main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania General Hypocracy Discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    what exactly do you define as a "normal environment"

Can't speak for Gath but, IMO, a child needs a male and female parent when growing up. To deny a child a father or a mother is just cruel.

2. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    Due to the increasing rates of divorce in our society, a lot of children are now being raised by one parent.
    Agreed that a child being given to a gay/lesbian couple would take away the option, but they would have friends of the opposite sex right? It's not like a girl raised by two lesbian parents wouldn't get to see what a man looks like.
    This is without going into such variables such as one parent dying, father's vacating the area when finding out they knocked someone up and run like hell, all kinds of things.
    That said though, there's enough of us meat bags roaming the Earth already, I think it's time to start slowing population growth, or at least put more effort into birth control than into the IVF rights of those who couldn't conceive because of choice of lifestyle or medical restrictions.

3. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    To deny a child a father or a mother is just cruel.

Does that mean when one mother or father runs off and leaves the kid, it should be equally as bad a thing? Or when the state has to take a child of it's parents because of drugs, alcohol or abuse?

To deny a child a loving home is cruel. Who are we to question how that home comes about?

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I agree Stinrab. Political Correctness has gone to far. And homosexuality is not natural biologically.

Dude, YOU are in the minority if you support homosexuality. I am not saying that it is wrong, but I endorse the 'dont ask, don't tell' philosophy. Don't flaunt it. Do you see people flaunting their heterosexuality?

Do you see heterosexual mardi gras?

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Here is a letter in today's paper, which I think is a good summation of the point I am trying to get across (my emphasis in bold)

HONESTY IS BEST POLICY

It seems to me that there are way too many people with an unrealistic attitude towards issues that affect us locally and nationally.

Political correctness has gotten way out of control.

Yes, we must respect others but not to the point of being demeaning to our own values and personal morals.

For example, yes it is terrible to hear about the detainees but don't forget to look at the bigger picture. What long-term effects would there be if we did have an open-door policy in our country?

Anyone can voice an opinion about undue treatment of your fellow man.

But if they were truly committed to doing what is right, then I am sure they will have no problems inviting these detainees into their own homes and accept personal responsibility for feeding and clothing them to solve this ongoing situation.

(And they won't. The do-gooders and social engineers like to act high-and-mighty, and scream and holler about issues, but when it comes to personally doing something about it, they go back under their rock)

6. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    And homosexuality is not natural biologically.

Really?! :eek: Oh, you mean...it's some kind of disease?! :eek: Oh, no, I hope it's not contagious! Oh no, and I have some homosexual friends...maybe I have it already! :eek: Is there some way I can get tested?!

But seriously, come on, Gatherer. Give it a rest. What do you see it as then? Someone just wakes up one day and decides, "well, today I think I'll be gay!"? Sexual attraction is-biologically-caused by what the chemicals are doing inside us. We can't really do anything about it.

Dude, YOU are in the minority if you support homosexuality.

Really? And there I was thinking the judgemental people of the world were dying out. Shame.

Do you see people flaunting their heterosexuality?

[face_laugh] Are you serious?!?! Hey, turn on the TV for about...hmmm, two seconds. It's everywhere!

The mardi gras is a way of homosexuals celebrating the fact that they're ACCEPTED for who they are. I'm sure if there had been centuries of discrimination against heterosexuals and at last, it was okay, we'd be having a pretty big party too! Shouldn't we be proud of who we are? Should people have to live in fear that if they are openly gay/straight/whatever that someone is going to judge them purely on that factor? In my opinion, hell no.

To deny a child a loving home is cruel. Who are we to question how that home comes about?

This sums up everything I was going to say. Every child deserves a loving home. What's better: A kid who has an abusive mother and father, or a homosexual couple who loves the child and care for him or her? As long as the child is in a happy, caring environment, we have no right to judge the parents' lifestyle.

7. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Bec, you just posted almost exactly what I was going to say.
    I wll add though, why the concern that a child raised by a same sex couple would turn out gay? What about all the kids who are brought up by Mum & Dad and turn out gay? Surely they should have turned out hetero by your logic right Gath?

I like to think that a gay couple would be able to understand that their hetero offspring has made a lifestyle choice that, while the parents don't approve, at least they realise that their little precious is happy with his/her decision to establish a sexual identity that they are comfortable going through life with.

Just like all the understanding and accepting hetero parents of gay & lesbian children.

Please excuse me while I gag.

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    It is pretty obvious that by checking out your ages, that you were born in, raised in, influenced by and grew up in the era of political correctness.

So let's get this straight:

* You people advocate the destruction of the traditional family unit.

* Even though Australia doesn't have a 0% unemployment rate, you would open up our borders, open the flood-gates and let anyone into this country.

* Don't recognize that there are serious problems within the Aborigine community in regards to health, education, employment, crime, substance abuse, etc... instead just continue feeding them the dole, and not educate them, and give them any opportunity of bettering themselves.

No wonder this country is going down the drain. Hmmpf... and to think that the young are our future leaders...

9. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Funny, I only remember posting about one of those things. That is assuming you think my above comment is all about the destruction of the family unit, even when I think it's about creating one.
    Does that still lump me into your "you young people" group?

What do you get out of this Gath? Aren't you sick of being shown just what a redneck you are?

*checks your age*

Oh yeah, you're ancient and wise [face_plain]

10. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Again, people have the arrogance to think I am just talking only about them.

Yeah, I AM ten years older than you, thankfully I am not your age.

And I am a redneck, how so. Do you even know what a redneck is? Surely at your knowledgeable age you are full of wisdom... please indulge.

11. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    I will simply refer you to Detonating Rabbit's posts on the previous page, no need to go rehashing what has already been said.

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How would you like it if I called you names?

13. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Would you like a tissue?

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Can't speak for Gath but, IMO, a child needs a male and female parent when growing up. To deny a child a father or a mother is just cruel.

Stinky, I agree in theory, but I'd hesitate to make such a prescriptive statement. Simply put, there's not enough to suggest that having same sex parents is or isn't a detriment.

I know you put the caveat "IMO" in there, but I was adding my bit. :D

I agree Stinrab. Political Correctness has gone to far. And homosexuality is not natural biologically.

That's actually not what he said, at all. That he supports the "traditional" family unit doesn't mean he agrees with you by way of the above statement.

*checks your age*

Surely at your knowledgeable age you are full of wisdom... please indulge.

What's this frickin' obsession with age?!?

Get over it, it means nothing

And I am a redneck, how so. Do you even know what a redneck is?

Well, having been through the MidWest, I'd say you're not a redneck Gatherer, unless at this moment you're wearing ass-tight jeans, a buckle with either a Confederate flag, the state of Texas, the Jim beam or Coors logos, or a bulls head; a mesh cap of the unfashionable kind, and a neck burnt red by the sun.

I think the word people want is bigoted. Which, although you may not like it, is apt. It means, "intolerant of cultures other than [your] own". Your disdain for Aboriginal culture is best summarised here by BecJedi; "This shows that you are not even willing to take an objective look at another culture?s values and practices. "

Dude, YOU are in the minority if you support homosexuality. I am not saying that it is wrong, but I endorse the 'dont ask, don't tell' philosophy. Don't flaunt it. Do you see people flaunting their heterosexuality?

Coughcoughsuperbowlcough

Noone said that.

* Even though Australia doesn't have a 0% unemployment rate, you would open up our borders, open the flood-gates and let anyone into this country.

A basic education in economics would tell you why this is a good thing. You know who you sound like here, mate?

"Please explaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn."

There's only been one modern economy with virtual full employment, and that was so close 100% as can be, and that was postwar America.

You can't have 0% unemployment, nor can you make most Aussies work hard.

How would you like it if I called you names?

Mate, tolerance is a two way street. For every time you're called a racist, there's an unrelated post of you trying to dismiss people's views because they're young.

Respect is something you earn, so you need to earn it, not expect your age entitles you to it. Same goes for everyone here, myself included.

E_S

15. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003

Do you see heterosexual mardi gras?

I agree with BecJedi here. Just turn on the t.v....

The do-gooders and social engineers like to act high-and-mighty, and scream and holler about issues, but when it comes to personally doing something about it, they go back under their rock.

This sounds a lot like you...

It is pretty obvious that by checking out your ages, that you were born in, raised in, influenced by and grew up in the era of political correctness.

So let's get this straight:

* Don't recognize that there are serious problems within the Aborigine community in regards to health, education, employment, crime, substance abuse, etc... instead just continue feeding them the dole, and not educate them, and give them any opportunity of bettering themselves.

No wonder this country is going down the drain. Hmmpf... and to think that the young are our future leaders...

We only spoke about one of these issues...

Again, people have the arrogance to think I am just talking only about them.

Oh please, who else are you trying to criticize in this thread apart from us - those who may happen to have a different opinion to your high-and-mighty-self.
    Yes, and you are older, but not wiser. In fact, you are a redneck, and I'll use that term as I wish. I take it to mean someone who is racist, homophobic, et al., and that seems to describe exactly what you are.

Why don't you just get over yourself, Gath. And yes, perhaps in a non-changing, world where older, more conventional values are accepted, I would be in the minority. But really: you clearly know nothing about what you are talking about. Do you know - AND are you currently closely involved with (as in friends, Gath, and that happens to mean you talk to them about homosexuality) - with a homosexual yourself. I know for a fact that you either know nothing about what you are talking about, or you just have such a limited view about this that it is not funny.

And as you have said countless times: don't talk about things that you know nothing about.

Don't flaunt it.

Oh, I ain't flaunting it, Gath. I'm not gay, but you are homophobic.

One more thing: call whoever whatever names you like. Can't you deal with people telling you what you don't want to hear about yourself?
    Have a great day, Gath :)

16. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Thank you for clearing me up on my terms ES.

And Gath, I apologise for calling you a redneck, it wasn't accurate and it was wrong of me.

Obviously the word I was looking for was Bigot, so you are a bigot Gath.

Thank You ES.

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Ender_Sai, that is the kind of constructive criticism that I respect.

I don't know why I am considered a bigot though, just becuase I don't like one culture. I have spent time in Hong Kong and absolutely loved it. Friends at work are Asian, Sri-Lankan (one in particular I am attracted to), had friends who are Fijian, and many, many, other numerous races, ethnicities and cultures.

Just becuase I do not like one, I am a bigot or a racist?

If you do not like the Nazi Germany culture, does that make you a bigot?!?

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Ender_Sai, so you are concerned that I question the age of people... so you would advocate an 18-19 year old Prime Minister of this country?

19. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    I'm sorry, who's running for office in this thread?

20. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    I certainly wouldn't advocate one who is 26...especially with your views, Gath :p

Oh, and do read my above post...just in case you happened to miss it :)

21. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Ah, don't worry about it, MisFitToy. Gath just believes that because we are younger, we know a lot less about the world than he does...oh, and we're ignorant, and stupid, and narrow minded, and too young to have an opinion of our own... :D

22. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    And apparently we have to keep our mouths shut until we're 26, and then we can be Prime Minister :D

23. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Haha!

One thing in your favour, is that you have a great sense of humour! ;)

Come on, lighten up everyone! :)

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thank you for clearing me up on my terms ES.

That's ok. Since Gath hasn't said the "N-word" to describe blacks, nor does he own a Truck (Ute, in Americanospeak), he can't really be a redneck. ;)

Just becuase I do not like one, I am a bigot or a racist?

Not liking and being disdainful are worlds apart here. Let's go to Dictionary.com for advice;

bigot, n

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ

Ender_Sai, so you are concerned that I question the age of people... so you would advocate an 18-19 year old Prime Minister of this country?

I want whomever is best suited to represent the will and interests of the Australian people to lead the country.

However, two points: the youngest US President, for a time, was John Fitzgerald Kennedy, who totally pwnz0rd.

Two; Einstein said, "The More I learn, the more I realise I know nothing."

If age is synonymous with wisdom, then the only iron law is that the older you get, the less time you have to learn more. Not that you're inherently smarter or wiser.

I'm sorry, who's running for office in this thread?

I was thinking about it... [face_mischief]

E_S

25. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    pwnz0rd.

Please explain... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.