main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania General Hypocracy Discussion

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    So would you two say "sorry" for the past misgivings? Do you think the Government should start a reconciliation process?

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes. I would say sorry. And, I believe the government has started the reconciliation project. There is just a big difference of opinion of what needs to be done, thats all :) I don't think that anyone that has posted here is a rascist or an apologist. I just think we have all have a difference of opinion, and we all have different experiences.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It can. Aborigines don't like to be kept in closed, small areas. That is why when many get houses given to them by the government they break the windows, rip down walls and pull up the floor boards. They like the outdoors.

:eek:

OM*G. You can't be serious.

You CAN defend Aboriginal prisoners beating "themselves" to death? You can defend Aboriginies with broken wrists or dislocated elbows fashioning a noose to commit suicide?

There is no defence for what happened with Aboriginal deaths in custody. Hence, a ROYAL COMMISSION into it.

If you want to whinge about the past then you go do that

Ah, the standard, John Lawsian defence. "Well, gee, it really is a genocide but I can't admit that. I can't have b*ack people expecting justice! So I'll just sweep it under the rug and pretend like it neeeeeever happened."

Except it did happen and they're waiting for some justice. One of the cornerstones of a modern society, that. And I can't find ONE respected text, Court ruling, or even opinio juris that says "Justice only applies to whites".

Out of all my posts here, I have simply tried to point out the PROBLEMS, and be PROACTIVE with coming up with SOLUTIONS.

Yes, we need a final solution... :p

People like Ender_Sai, et al don't seem to grasp this point. They don't WAN'T to be proactive, and seem to want the Aborigine society to live in the STATUS QUO without fixing the problems I KEEP trying to point out

Oh contraire, my emotionally undetached friend! ;) The entire point is that it is you, and your allies in this debate, which fail to grasp the subtle hints in my posts.

If we do not redress the mistakes of the past then it shows we do not accept responsibility. It is literally that simple. If there is actual signs that we have made efforts to redress the injustice and massive crime against humanity that was the Stolen Generation, then I wouldn't be posting here.

The Government du jour needs to say sorry. Not the People, the government. The Government of the day was responsible for this policy; and as the continued insitution the government of today is responsible for rectifying that mistake.

Failing that duty, there's always an alternative.

E_S

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Ender, I really don't want to bother with another argument. I think you'd find that if we sat down in person and discussed this we would agree on alot of points. You also keep on missing the points that blatantly agree with you and then pick up on something else that really isn't important. Eg, you picked up on this. If you want to whinge about the past then you go do that, but then you skip over the rest of the post in which I have the same opinion that you have.

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Do you think the Government should start a reconciliation process?

What Sil, throw more money at them?

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Are Aboriginees the remnant of Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal civilization?

I am not trying to be silly or smart-arse, just that their skull structure, physical appearance looks like what the Cro-Magnon / Neanderthal is meant to look like.

Plus, if the Aboriginal race is meant to be at least 40,000 years old without changing, then I think it is highly possible.

7. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I have noticed that aswell. Although, I'm not too sure on their origins.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Arguing over Aboriginals!!!
    BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

holy ****T!!! Now i've seen it all!!!!!
    ROLMFAO

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What does everyone else think of the Cro-Magnon / Neanderthal connection?

10. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    There are suggestions from current archaeological (sp?) digs that the Aboriginal races came first. They dug up a 40000 year old skeleton in the Territory or WA which was, at the time it was dug up, the oldest known.

11. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Wasn't there a group of people here before the Aborigines? The Mungo men or something?

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Who were the Mungo Men? Never heard of them...

13. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Mungo Man was a relic they discovered which pre-dated many African remains which suggested Australia back when it was linked to the sub continent, madagasca and Africa was indeed the initial starting point (or one thereof) of man. It was later found that the C-14 dating data had been misinterpreted making it more equivalent and thankfully in line with the entymology of the Human Species throughout time.

As for the topic, how's this for a start: ban all pubs in Aboriginal communities and disallow liquor licenses.

Actually put some money into Aboringal welfare in a manner which will do some good. Full time medical practioners to help them, Full-funded Schools, Sporting facilities and clinics, Education incorporating native history and culture so as to preserve one of the most beautiful and rich histories known to man.

Say "Sorry". Prepare to take responsibilities for the actions of the Administration which only a few decades ago was STILL committing genocide against our native people.

Educate our own people so as to weed out ignorance in the community, a root cause of racism, knowing or otherwise.

How's that for a start?

14. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    As for the topic, how's this for a start: ban all pubs in Aboriginal communities and disallow liquor licenses

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but I don't think this will go down well. This will be treated as rascism. Why can't Aboriginals have pubs, but white people can? and so forth.

15. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    So, PoT, in order to unite our country, you want to make Aborigines separate from the rest of the population by giving them benefits which others don't have access to? Seems more like division to me.

EDIT: Also very strange, Mr PoT, that you don't hesitate to heavily criticise and badmouth American culture and it's human rights records, yet you call a culture which featured the death penalty and bodily disfigurement for mere misdemeanours (a lot of the time inflicting said punishment on the innocent family members or friends simply because the "guilty" cannot be found) a "beautiful" one. How fitting that this thread title features the word "hypocracy".

16. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    stinrab

Before you can get equal opportunity, you have to have equal results for a little while.

In the States, we have Affirmative Action, which forces companies of a certain size to hire a percentage of minorities.

Personally, I think it's just about outlived it's usefulness here, but it looks like you could use it in Australia.

For a while anyway.

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    PoT - you have some good ideas.

However, one problem is, no matter how fully funded the schooling system, the problem is, still making the kids go.

However, I saw a program lately which was making great progress... they had a class linked to AFL football, with reward programs, etc...

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There has been suggestions made that one could differentiate between homo sapiens and homo sapiens sapiens, but I'd personally consider that to be part of the old eugenics school of thought.

E_S

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Eugenics is an honorable science.

Long live the Aryan species!

Just kidding! ;)

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Aryans were a race, not a species! :p

;)

E_S

21. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    And "race" doesn't exist anyway

Click me

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How about this for total, ABSOLUTE hypocracy!

One the front page of The Northern Territory News, Wednesday 30th July - there was an article about Aboriginee itinerants (drunks, vagrants, etc...) squatting in a graveyard. So much for them wanting us to respect thier 'sacred' land, they can't even respect ours. They scarred off a lot of elderly people who wanted to visit the graves of their loved ones. I found this utterly disgusting.

(Sorry if all my posts on hypocracy are centered on Aboriginees, however, this is what I see the most)

23. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    One could hardly say a few drunken blokes is representative of an entire culture. I mean, God help us all if Bush is representative of American culture in its entirety. :p

24. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Gatherer, did the police remove the squatters?

I heard somewhere that it is legal to squat on someones property for upto 6 weeks (that sounded good:)). Keep in mind you have to be a genuine squatter. Is this true?

25. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Do you really think it should be legal to squat in a CEMETARY for up to 6 weeks, sitting around the graves and gravestones?

The caretaker of the cemetary was quoted as saying that he has to call the Police all the time about the Aboriginee itinerents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.