Amph General JMS discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by NJOfan215, Jan 7, 2005.

1. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This thread is for the discussion of all of jms works. JMS is mostly known for his work on babylon 5, but he has an impressive body of work that includes tv series, comics, novels, short storeis, and even a text book.

TV SHOWS
    he-man
    ghostbusters
    murder she wrote
    babylon5
    crusade
    jeremiah

Comics
    amazing spider man
    rising stars
    midnight nations
    strange
    supreme power
    babylon 5 comics

Novels
    Demon night
    otherside

Shortstories
    A few B5 shorts
    JMS unplugged

In a lot of these works i've scene some common themes, such as community building, family relationships, going out clean, and ezikeal.

I really like his works. I haven't read all of them, and i'm sure i've left out a few, but i have liked what i've read.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    He also did work on the 80's series Captain Power, and I think he had some kind of radio or audio drama in recent years as well.
  3. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah i remember hearing about it.
  4. Matthew_Wolverine Force Ghost

star 4
    JMS is going to be writing Fantastic Four soon. Mark Waid is leaving after the current Galactus arc concludes.
  5. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'd say that among his comics, Supreme Power is his best work. It?s slow moving, but a hell of a lot of fun when it gets going. It?s based on the old Squadron Supreme, which was itself based on the major DC superheroes, but JMS has essentially thrown away everything about the original Squadron Supreme other than a few names so he can tell a story about the JLA while he works for Marvel.

In the late seventies, a rocket crashed in a Kansas cornfield, a rocket bearing a child from another planet. He was found by a passing pair of farmers, who took him to their home to raise him as their own child. Then black helicopters bearing government agents arrived at the farmers? house and took the child away to be raised by the US government. The result is a very hard-nosed version of Superman called Hyperion.

The Batman analog is Nighthawk, who also saw his parents die before his eyes. Like Batman, he has no super powers. And like Batman, he?s the most useful person on the team. The Green Lantern analog is Dr. Spectrum. Whereas Hal Jordan was a top gun good guy fighter pilot, the Doctor is from the infantry and his nom de guerre is from the way he would ?surgically remove? disruptive elements. Very, very black ops. The Flash analog is the Blur. He?s the nicest, most normal, best-rounded person on the team. He also promotes everything from NASCAR to cola. There?s also an Aquagirl (not her real name necessarily), who has flight and telepathy and has childlike emotions. And there?s an ancient princess of the same race as Hyperion, who is a bit of a psychopath and who believes that they?re meant to rule the world together.

It takes until #14 for Nighthawk, the Blur and Hyperion to fight a common foe together, and the result is quite possibly the most awesome superhero battle since Miracleman #15.
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah- the scene in the mall was jaw dropping.

JMS is doing FF? I'll have to keep an eye out for that- I started reading Spiderman with his work on the series (in TPB) and have been loving it so far.

Midnight Nation is, IMO, his best work- very touching.
  7. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah- the scene in the mall was jaw dropping.

I think that the awesomeness starts on the freeway with the car tossing. For Mark, who is used to being able to do anything he wants, to fail to catch those cars was heart breaking. And then the people tossing, and the impalements, and Mark just losing it completely and letting loose on Redstone: it was 100% kick ass awesomeness, and well worth the wait.

That?s how JLA needs to be written. The three characters that went after the bad guy all had important parts to play, and were well used. Another thing I like is that it does a good job of showing how much collateral damage these super-powered fights cause. When Spectrum and Hyperion threw down earlier, they wiped out an entire plain, and afterwards Mark just kneels down in front of a herd of dead elephants and starts babbling that he?s sorry. At the end of the fight in the mall, there are bodies everywhere. I think that a three-figure body-count is pretty darn likely.
  8. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    The "straw scene" delineated the differences between the two perfectly.

I'm hesitantly split on his current Strange series -- it's been veering more than *slightly* into becoming a "Midnight Nation" redux, right down to "Laurel" and the "Walkers" encountered by Stephen in the second and third issues. Still, I'm more than willing to think that he's earned enough of a pass from us to surprise us in the coming months.

His FF work is something I highly doubt he'd even sign on for unless Joe Q handed him a creative blank check to grab by the scrotum and twist hard. About everything that could be said's been said over the last 40+ years with those folks, meriting this some attention.
  9. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Joe Q handed him a creative blank check to grab by the scrotum and twist hard.

Two words: Sins Past.
  10. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

I just reread the whole of Supreme Power to date. This is fantastic stuff that really highlights the strength of comics. If this was a movie and nothing was cut, it'd be five hours long, easily. If this were a novel, we wouldn't see what this world is like. It's one thing to read about the devastation from the battles, another to see it. It's one thing to read about Spectrum's powers, or the nests that Redstone makes, and it?s another to see them. There?s no format that could tell this story as well as comics.

11. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    />
    /> Aye.

My, haven't the fennery gone Ape Bonkers Shoving Drills Into Newborn Otters' Faces Crazy over *that* one.

The whole "Gwen-Whore/Saint Debate" that got kicked up these past several months gives me room to think that Joe'll being pulling something similar with the FF Sacred Cows in a short bit./>/>
  12. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  13. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just went to the comic store last night. Apparently rising stars has some new issues out. The latest one is issue 22. The first 16 plus issue o and issue.5 are available in tbp. I'm reading the first one now and i like it a lot.

Supreme power is just awesome. I waiting to see zarda pop up again and cause soem trouble. I also want to point out that supreme power has a spinoff series called dr. spectrum. It's written by sam barnes. She's involed in strange and has written a few episodes of jeremiah.

There is a jeremiah comic in the works, but jms is not writing it.

I'm psyched about fantastic four. I didn't know he would be writing it.

I'm also very interested to see gwen's daughter pop up. I wonder how powerfull she'll be and what type of poweres she'll have.
  14. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Gwen's daughter is now in a four-part arc in Spectacular Spider-Man. She might not be as reformed as it initially appeared...
  15. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Rising Star's 22nd issue is now out, with #23 on the way. The latest one ends with a (get ready for it...yes, he's going to say it...here it comes...the cliché of clichés)....BANG. And some more "I see dead people." And some Russians thrown into the mix.
  16. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    interesting.

I'm a bit confused about all of the spiderman comics. There's amazing, spectacular, ultimate, mavel age . . . What is the difference between them? Are the non jms ones any good?
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I read the first two Rising Stars volumes (the first awhile ago and finally got around to reading the second a few months ago)... what issue # does the TPBs collect up to thus far? Kinda curious to know when the next volume will likely be coming out.

Any word on Jeremiah season 2 hitting DVD? I saw the season premiere but then showtime started showing two episodes back to back without advertisinging it so I abandoned it until I could catch the whole thing.

A pitty there won't be a season 3 for JMS.
  18. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm a bit confused about all of the spiderman comics. There's amazing, spectacular, ultimate, mavel age . . . What is the difference between them? Are the non jms ones any good?

Amazing Spider-Man: By JMS at the moment. This is the longest running Spider-Man comic, and the first book that he had on his own. In my opinion, this is the best of the current books.

Spectacular Spider-Man: This one gets the most creative team change-ups I think, and the quality is all over the board. The current storyline (following up a JMS plotline) is pretty good, with good art.

Ultimate Spider-Man: The Ultimate universe is a restart of the Marvel universe. Marvel is using it to retell the stories of the 616 universe from the very beginning without continuity baggage. Ultimate Spider-Man is by Brian Bendis and it?s pretty good at first. Recent plotlines have been weak. The best part of the Ultimate universe so far has been the Ultimates by Mark Millar.

Marvel Age: This book is being used to retell early Spider-Man man adventures in a new-readers friendly way. The art is OK, the storytelling is OK, but no new ground is being broken.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man: This is by Mark Millar, but not nearly so good as the Ultimates. The initial 12-issue arc is about Aunt May getting kidnapped, and the best thing I have to compare it to is a train-wreck.

The New Avengers: Spider-Man is on the new Avengers team, along with Wolverine, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, the Sentry, Luke Cage, and maybe Jessica Jones.

19. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    I picked up an issue of his Spiderman work and it really impressed me. I'll be getting more of his stuff.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    yeah, his spiderman stuff is easy to jump onboard with...hopefully the next volume will be out soon so i can see what all the hub-hub is about lately with Gwen ;)
  21. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Long story short, she had an affair with the Green Goblin behind Peter's back.
  22. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the first two tbp's of rising stars cover the first 16 issues.

Showtime is remrunning the entire series of jeremiah on show time beyound. The second season starts on the 19th. I have heard no word about it hitting dvd. I want it on dvd.

Amazing spiderman tpb #8 is suposed to be out on 2-1-2005.

raven thanks for the info on the spider man books.

What do you guys think of strange so far? I like it, but i don't have much of an idea about who or what strange is besides his role in the spiderman comics and mavel 1602. Does dr.strang have anything to do with the novel johnathan strange and dr. norrel? Dr. strange is stephen strange right?
  23. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    AMS 516 and the sins past tpb came out today. Supreme power 15 comes out next week.
  24. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    so what did you guys think of the new supreme power?
  25. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I recently got a hold of Amazing Spider-Man TPB Vl. 1 with his Morlun run on it. And theres the 9-11 story in it. I can understand what he was going for, but the part with the super villians crying just seemed out of place to me. These people have done far worse things in their line of work and I don't buy that they would be saddned by this event. Beautiful otherwise but that part felt...off.