main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph General JMS discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by NJOfan215, Jan 7, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, I haven't had the chance to read his DC output yet beyond a couple Bolds and Beyond Watchmen.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You, um... really haven't missed much.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    DON'T READ IT WHATEVER YOU DO

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've heard good things about his Earth One series though. I didn't even realize he had a run on the main Supes title.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Superman Earth One is... serviceable. I don't think it's going to scare anyone away, but it's not exactly mind blowing.

The rest is... ... the rest happened.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cast and brief premise summary for Sens8:

An impressive international cast of mostly strong genre television talent have hopped onboard "Sens8," the upcoming Netflix ten-episode series which is being created and produced by both the Wachowskis and "Thor" and "World War Z" scribe J. Michael Straczynski.

The cast includes Daryl Hannah ("Blade Runner"), Naveen Andrews ("Lost"), Brian J. Smith ("Stargate Universe"), Freema Agyeman ("Doctor Who"), Tuppence Middleton ("Jupiter Ascending"), Doona Bae ("Cloud Atlas"), Aml Ameen ("The Maze Runner"), Max Riemelt ("The Wave"), Alfonso Herrera ("El Diez"), Tena Desae ("The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"), Jamie Clayton ("Hung"), Terrence Mann ("All My Children") and Miguel Silvestri.

The story follows eight individuals scattered across the globe who find themselves inexplicably linked after a tragic event. Suddenly, their minds are linked, allowing them to communicate directly with one another, while also sharing their deepest and darkest secrets to the entire group.

Much like he did with "Babylon 5" almost two decades ago, Straczynski has mapped out a five season plan for the serial drama which will debut in late 2014 or early 2015.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JMS to write Titans film adaptation.

"World War Z" scribe and "Babylon 5" creator J. Michael Straczynski is set to pen a film adaptation of his upcoming graphic novel "Titans" at Chernin Entertainment and Graphic India.

The story begins when alien ships crash land around the world, ships carrying massive entities called Titans who have no memory of where they came from or where they were going. Said begins bond telepathically with the humans who encounter them.

The story then follows the Titans and their humans over a decade as the world tries to use them for their own purposes. Some want military superiority, others peace; some want to build cities, others to destroy them.

Straczynski, Sharad Devarajan and Gotham Chopra will produce.

Sarge likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JMS to write Spike's Red Mars series.

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski has been tapped to write Red Mars, Spike TV’s scripted drama series project in development based on Kim Stanley Robinson’s best-selling “hard” science-fiction trilogy about the colonization and terraforming transformation of Mars into a place where humans can live sustainably.

The TV series adaptation, named after the first book in the trilogy, has been on fast-track development at Spike since the network took in the project in October with HBO’s Game Of Thrones co-executive producer Vince Gerardis as producer and Robinson as consultant.

The three novels — Red Mars (1993), Green Mars (1994) and Blue Mars (1996), which have won Nebula and Hugo Awards — are regarded as the best books written on the subject and a holy grail for science fiction fans.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    good god

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I can't wait to be bored by Hiroko a second time!

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    to clarify my reaction was to the general existence of the thread and its title, not the preceding post

Diggy likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    JMS returning to TV with multiple series (while not abandoning his film and comic output) is only good news. :)

Sarge likes this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    JMS writing the TV adaptation of the Mars Trilogy definitely has the potential to be a good thing. Spike isn't exactly known for its high brow entertainment. This is a sgn that they want to take the material seriously.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Having Thrones producers on board is also a good sign. But considering how Mars was depicted in B5, JMS's involvement bodes extremely well for the material's subject matter and eliminating some of its weaknesses (at least as far as I understand them to be- I've admittedly not read the actual books yet).

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Good to see he's still getting work.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He never stopped, he's just been doing a lot of comic and film work for the past few years (particularly after Changeling elevated his profile in the industry). He's just been away from TV for awhile., but his busy output was the main reason he formed Studio JMS..

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First trailer for Sense8 is up:

Looks very cool- not at all how I envisioned the premise. Has more of a Matrix download vibe to it (makes sense, given the Wachowski connection), but not in a bad way- still feels different with the way they're portraying it.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.newsarama.com/30468-why-...-is-leaving-comic-books-in-his-own-words.html

Joe is stepping away from reading comics. His output decreased over the years due to a vision problem, though it has been corrected now. He's apparently going to take another stab at novels as well as plays.

The latter doesn't surprise me- a lot of his work is so character centric that the jump to a stage play setting is quite natural. When I used a scene from Midnight Nation as a test project in film school, it translated almost by itself to a simple setting.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New book coming soon:

Premise sounds solid; a political protester taking the “get adjusted” option over jail in order to take that system down from the inside.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023