main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Kenobi...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes I am enjoying this discussion as well.

One thing that puzzles me is: how can the Jedi stomach fighting for either side? I mean, how can they justify fighting on the side of the Republic (who uses clones, with all the moral and ethical difficulties involved in that) or the Separatists, who basically don't like the Republic that the Jedi are sworn to uphold?

I think it's clear that they choose a side in AOTC, but why?

2. Darth-Mouth

Darth-Mouth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 1999
    I think the Jedi are sworn defenders of the Republic, though that isn't made clear in TPM.

They are also peacekeepers, which is probably why they refuse to fight, at least initially, on behalf of the Republic against the separatists.

My feeling is that the Jedi who fight in that arena aren't there to fight for the Republic. They're there to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi.

But I have no facts to back that up.

3. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I think they're only on the side of the Republic in AotC because that seems like the best course of action.

It seems to me when Palpatine starts exerting his power a little MORE over his bounds, we'll see the Jedi respond.

Either in joining the seperatists, or in their own movement.

Right now, I'd like to see which side Bail Organa is on, since it seems like he was a rebellionist in ANH.

Also, in ANH is he a Senator or not?

4. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Doesn't the EU say that he was a Viceroy during ANH (meaning Governor I guess). Leia was the Senator from Alderaan (if there is only one per planet, which AOTC makes doubtful).

I think Darth Mouth is right...the Jedi help crush the Separatists but then realize that the Republic has grown too bureaucratic and centralized, then they rebel in Episode III.

Of course, when and if they found out about Sidious will aid this decision as well.

5. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Perhaps, but I still see their involvement as more of a reaction to the capture and pending execution of two Jedi (see "Mystery" trailer at the end).

If their concerns rested more with rescuing Obi-Wan and Anakin than they did with helping one side of the Republic defeat another, that could be an interesting nugget for the Emperor to use as an excuse to wipe them out.

Since they're not willing to stand up and fight for the Republic, only for themselves, who needs em?

6. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Regarding the issue of Leia responding to the name "Ben Kenobi" . .

If Bail Organa knew where Obi-Wan was hiding out, it stands to reason that he probably also knew the name he was using.

It's likely that the choice of the name "Ben" may not ever be addressed in the films at all. This may be a candidate for EU material post-Episode III.

-Otis

7. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    I think it's even more likely that they do send a rescue mission, but get caught up in things and end up fighting against the separatists.

8. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Well they'd HAVE to fight if they found themselves in a big arena with thousands of "separatist" droids trying to kill them.

9. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    LOL...good point.

Do you think the Jedi are going to find out about Sidious in AOTC or Episode III?

I mean...Mace, Yoda and Ki-Adi are SITTING IN THE SAME ROOM as him for heaven's sake!

10. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    In a sense they've already "found out about him" because he IS Palpatine.

Your question is when will they find out that he is a Sith Lord. The answer is, predictably, "after it's too late". In other words, they'll figure it out after he's already brought Anakin to the Dark Side and the purge has begun.

11. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    I would say they will find out soon after Palpy creates the Army of the Republic. Then it WILL be too late, because if the Jedi protest after that it will look like sour grapes.

12. XanatosSkywalker

XanatosSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    Oy veh...
    *tosses everyone a flash light, since they're so in the dark*
    Trust this spoiler junkie...all will be revealed in time...;)

13. DarthJerm

DarthJerm Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    Xanatos, are you just looking to goad people on? That's got to be the third time (so far) that you're taunting those "in the dark"

14. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Yeah, XanatosSkywalker , it is rather irritating. Try not to do it again.

15. General_Lando

General_Lando Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I think they won't find out Palpatine is Sideous because palpatine is making everyone else do his dirty work. It seems as though Mass Ammeda is the one creating the idea of a clone army. He is manipulating people to act out his deeds for him so no one will know. I think that the Jedi won't go against him, but instead Palpatine will strike first declaring many of them are Sith before maybe they can find out he is one. (see any evil person you know to realize this is what he will do). Guilty people always blame their actions on a scapegoat, one that is powerful and dangerous.

16. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Cool thoughts here :D

17. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Xanatos I don't quite understand why you'd come to a non-spoiler forum and think it strange that people didn't know every detail of the movie. We could be way off and that might amuse you, but you sound almost critical of us for even discussing things without knowing exactly what will happen.

To keep the discussion going, I think it's possible for the Jedi to figure out that Palpatine is a not-so-good guy (i.e. he craves power and wants to wipe out his opposition) without them realizing that he is a Sith. I mean there are lots of unsavory SW characters who aren't Sith.

So when will we know he's a Sith? When he and Anakin start chopping heads off, I expect.

18. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    I am guessing they will find out late in AOTC or early in Episode III.

19. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    It would be great if they found out late in AOTC, because it would put them in an interesting predicament right at the beginning of Ep. III. Even if they know that Palpatine is a Sith, it would probably be tough for them to justify any action against him to everyone else.

-Patches

20. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Good point!

"But he's a Sith!"
    "A what?"

21. NerdyNathan

NerdyNathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2001
    Becoming a general can't be too hard! Lando did it in a day, why can't Obi-Wan? ;)

22. XanatosSkywalker

XanatosSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    That isn't funny, XanatosSkywalker .

What? I gave fair warning. It's not like I just posted it without saying anything, or giving a lot of room.

23. Yodimus_Prime

Yodimus_Prime Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    The funny thing about that, is even if people don't want to see it, they still have to scroll down to look at the other posts

24. Darth-Mouth

Sep 18, 1999
    Up!

Too interesting a thread to let die.

25. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes...too interesting to die.

What say you people? Will Kenobi actually be named a General in II or III? If so, when?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.