main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    The YJK books are very short, around 200 pages each but with big print. You could finish one in about 3 hours. There are 14 books so it should take you just a few days to read them all. The JJK books are half the size and there's only six of them, so you could probably finish them in about a day or two.

2. Reww

Reww Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    K thanks. Also the general concensous on I,Jedi is read it? Also Hand of Thrawn also a must read?

3. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    I, Jedi is a must read simply because it is an awesome book. Much of the plot is from the JAT but IMO I, Jedi is better. HOT is also recommended especially if you liked TTT.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, Stackpole and Zahn have spoken of I, Jedi and HOT as almost a strangely related trilogy, so it's a good trio to read together.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, you're not- I think we've seen it reccomended a lot, especially if someone liked JAT. But it's certainly not without it's vocal detractors for understandable reasons. It's not the worst SW book, certainly a more fun read than, say, TNR, COTJ, POT and TCS, but not among the best.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Incidentally, it has some of Daala's only good scenes IMHO, like where she gest rid of those Imperial pretenders.

If only she had died! :_|

7. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    So I posed the question earlier that if I were to skip the books after Darksaber to get to the HOT books would I miss that much? Since then I have gotten through Specter of the Past and I am now about 120 pages into Vision of the Future. Honestly I'm having trouble getting through the second book. Does it eventually pick up in pace? I hope so. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad read per se, but it is kind of slow on action so far. That being said, is Survivor's Quest worth the time? I've read OB, and Allegiance and all the other Zahn books leading up to here. But is SQ pretty good?

8. boostermoose

boostermoose Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    What do you guys recommend reading first: I, Jedi or the Jedi Academy Trilogy?

9. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Depends on what your goal is. If you're trying to read everything, read JAT first and then read I, Jedi. If you're just trying to work through overall plot points, read I, Jedi and a summary of the rest of JAT.

Most of the important stuff in JAT as relates to the Jedi is covered, and much more effectively IMO, in I, Jedi; the main things that aren't are related more to Han and Leia and, to a lesser extent, Kyp Durron.

And I, Jedi is one of my absolute favorite Star Wars books. :)

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I would proscribe the JAT followed by I, Jedi. The JAT is a little juvenile and all over the place while I, Jedi is one of the 5 best EU works of all time IMO.

The first half of I, Jedi centers on Corran Horn's point of view of Luke's creation of the NJO. I find it a great companion to the JAT. It isn't really centered on the Big 3 at all. And though the JAT isn't the greatest EU literary work it's kind of essential and reading I, Jedi first could perhaps take some of the zing out of the Jedi Academy Trilogy but nothing can take the zing out of I, Jedi.

Also, the JAT was written about 5 years before I, Jedi. Make of that what you will.

11. boostermoose

boostermoose Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2006
    I think my overall goal is at some point to read everything. My friend's dad was a huge SW fan and he's been collected EU books ever since they started coming out. He gave them all to me for free so I pretty much have all EU novels written before 2002 or so. Based on your guys advice I think I will rip through the Jedi Academy trilogy first.

12. Reww

Reww Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    What are the thoughts on Junior Jedi knights and Young Jedi Knights? I know they are more for kids, but are they worth reading?

13. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    JAT is basically essential reading since so much of the later material depends on it and it was one of the earliest of the '90s EU. Also, IJ intertwines with it so heavily that I'm not sure it would make much sense without the trilogy.

JJK/YJK are pretty good if you can find them (try your library or interlibrary loan). A few years ago I would have said they are essential setup for a lot of the NJO characters, but the characterizations have been changed (distorted?) so much that I'm not sure it matters anymore. :rolleyes: Still, I found them enjoyable (and quick) reads.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It depends. I'm currently working through the YJK for the first time, and I'm enjoying them quite a bit, just for the whole novelty factor. There are also some good bits buried away in there. Overall, though, they're not a spectacular example of young readers' literature. They're worth reading if you really want to be familiar with the YJK generation of characters, but overall the adventures aren't that impactful or well-written, so if your interest is merely casual, they're probably not worth spending much money on.

15. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    When did Car'Das become this bad dude that Karrde is sooo scared of? The last I remember reading of Car'Das was in OB and he was like this wide eyed kid translating for Thrawn. I feel like I missed something.

16. Darth-Stink-Pink

Darth-Stink-Pink Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2008
    New to the forums and I have been trying to read through every page of this topic, but I finally lost my place, so I have a question.

I started reading the SW franchise about 8 months ago. I wanted to read starting after ROTJ. This is what I've read so far

Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Pri Leia, TTT, and the bounty hunter wars. I just started book 1 of JAT. They keep referencing the New Repub Civil War, Luke's journey into the Darkside along with the resurrection of the Emperor.

Can someone tell me what books or comics, etc that the Civil Wark and the ressurrection of the Emperor are told in. I thought I hadn't missed anything except the Ghost of Tattooine.

Let me know I appreciate the help

17. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Palpatine's Resurrection and Luke's fall to the dark side happened in the Dark Empire comic books, which is probably why you missed them. There are three series', Dark Empire, Dark Empire II and Empire's End.

As for your second question, are you sure they weren't talking about the Galactic Civil War?

Oh, and don't forget to read the first 7 X-Wing books which take place between TAB and TCOPL

18. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Let me just say, you don't need Dark Empire II or Empire's End. Trust me. If you read Dark Empire I (which is a 6 issue graphic novel) you should be good to go. DEII isn't very good or that important and neither is Empire's End. I like them but if you're brand new to the Expanded Universe, you'll have much bigger fish to fry.[face_peace]

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he means the Imperial Civil War that takes place off-camera prior to Dark Empire. Basically the Imperials ganged up to retake Coruscant, but after they did so, they started fighting amongst themselves, and this is when Dark Empire begins.

It's not a story that has been told yet, IIRC. It's likely Zahn will one day tell that tale in a future novel.

20. Darth-Stink-Pink

Darth-Stink-Pink Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2008
    I appreciate the info. I guess Dark Empire is really what I need to read. Not sure but I've been putting off the X-Wing series even though I know that those have been a favorite for a long time.

Just as a note the first JAT book has been really good from my opinion. I hope the next 2 continue the good work.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, it's told in VOTF. It's just not told in narrative form.

22. Meals-On-Whills

Meals-On-Whills Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2008
    Hopefully this is the right place to ask this. I am trying to get up to date after stepping away from Star Wars for a while. I never finished reading the NJO, and am trying to gather all the stories before I get too deep into starting it over. The short story chapters, "Emissary Of The Void", "The Apprentice" and "Or Die Trying" are all listed on Wookieepedia as being available at the official site for those who have Hyperspace memberships. Is this correct? Can someone with a membership verify that they are still available?

Also, "The Apprentice" is listed as taking place during "Dark Journey". Anyone know at what point during DJ I should read it? "Ylesia" is listed as taking place between ch's 21-22 of "Destiny's Way" , so I was just curious if there was any similar info for TA.

Thanks in advance for any help.

23. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Don't forget to read "Equals and Opposites" from Tales 21 in it's proper place as well!

24. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    I think this is exactly what you need:

http://www.timelineuniverse.net/Newjediorder.htm

25. Meals-On-Whills

Meals-On-Whills Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2008
    Plaristes,

Yeah, I am planning on getting the TPB that includes that issue. There is a comic shop not too far from me that used to have a lot of Star Wars trades in stock all the time. I had planned on checking them out when I get a little extra cash and the time to drive out there.

Xicer,

Thanks, I had looked at that site once before, but I didn't see exactly where "The Apprentice" was located on there the first time. I guess I just missed it.

Now if I can just get verification that access to those stories is still available to Hyperspace members...