main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree that it's not that good -- probably the worst on the list. Still many people did enjoy it and considering the subject matter I think it might be worth trying.

2. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013

Way late reply, but the Dark Forces novellas tell the same basic story but give different interpretations on the story and its characters. In general, the novellas have been ignored by later authors in favor of the game's interpretation. This is best seen in Abel G. Pena's (no-longer available) "http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dark_Forces_Saga]Dark[/url] Forces Saga" which uses the games primarily and ignores a lot of the lore from the novellas. It's up to you if you want to just skip the games for the novellas, and I do think the novellas are worth reading, but if you're partial to the games, they're going to irritate you.

Notable differences:
    1. The relationship between Yun and Sariss - In the game, the two Dark Jedi are very close, but it appears to be a one-sided relationship with Yun fawning over Sariss and Sariss not having a very strong concern for Yun. The novella portrays it as something of a friendship with Sariss caring very much for Yun as her "only friend". This causes some thematic issues with the conclusion of their story and I prefer the game and later authors' interpretations over the novella's more nurturing relationship
    2. The battles between Kyle Katarn and the Dark Jedi are notably different, the most infamous difference being the "http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darkshear]Spear[/url] of Midnight Black"

Positives:
    1. A lot of backstory on Kyle that is absent from the games, especially his career under the Empire and early relationship with his father.
    2. Introduction of species that were either cut from the games or just added to the novellas for more backstory. These include Bouncers and the Horngaunt.
    3. Getting inside the heads of the bad guys. One notable first person perspective is from 8t88, a villainous droid that plays a much smaller role in the game.

I'd say that the first novella, "Soldier for the Empire" is the most accurate to the game, but probably only because it was written after the first Dark Forces game and was designed to give a backstory to Kyle in preparation for the upcoming sequel. The latter two novellas had to go alongside Dark Forces II, which had a lot more backstory and lore integrated into it, making those books a little different from the game

3. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Even those it's late, thanks for the reply! So the novellas do tell more or less the entire story, and can stand alone?

4. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013

Yep, the novellas can stand alone, and you don't need to have played the game to understand them. Some side-missions from the game are either glossed over or omitted, but that was obviously done to make a cohesive narrative. If you're really interested, you can watch some of the cinematic cutscenes to supplement, but the novellas are self-contained.

EDIT: I forgot that the novellas do assume a little knowledge of the first Kyle Katarn game: Dark Forces, but context can be gleaned from the narrative. You don't need to be intimately familiar with that game to get enjoyment from the novellas.

5. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The people from the Dawn of the Jedi #0 cover, are they characters? or just a painting?

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Painting

DelRiego likes this.
  7. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Reposting a question from the trades thread since this one sees more traffic:

Hey guys, quick question on the Star Wars TPBs being released by DH right now (In the Shadow of Yavin, From the Ruins of Alderaan, etc...). DH lists the TPBs still to be released as just "Volume 3: Rebel Girl", but on Amazon there is both Rebel Girl and a Vol.4 A Shattered Hope. Are they the same series? If so, which issues are collected in which? Are they really being released 14 days apart, as Amazon says? And why aren't either of them mentioned on DH's website?

I'm very confused.

8. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I'd like to know if any of the following young readers series would be worth reading

Jedi Apprentice
    Jedi Quest
    Fate of the Jedi
    Jedi Prince
    Junior Jedi Knights
    Young Jedi Knights

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_rofl]

10. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    Oops, could't have planed it any better. :D I meant Last of the Jedi.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's just that FOTJ isn't very well-liked around here. Hence the funnies. ;)

JA and JQ are okay. Not great, but decent. JJK and YJK are pretty bad, but in a "so bad they're good" type of way. And they can be pretty fun from time to time.

Jedi Prince is amazing. Absolutely read it.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Jedi Prince is legitimately insane. It's like someone translated the most ridiculous sort of Silver Age comic book to a novel - complete with the sound effects.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's other Young Readers books of interest. I liked what little of Galaxy of Fear I managed to find. And the Star Wars Journal books for Leia and Maul were pretty entertaining (much of Maul's ended up in The Wrath of Darth Maul later on).

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The young Boba Fett series isn't bad either. The first book parallels events in AOTC from Boba's point of view. The last book seemed a bit rushed, however. I thought it was the weakest in the series.

15. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    I'd appreciate a recommendation.

I own a lot of SW books but I want to add some more before they might be out of print or too expensive. I'm considering the following books/comics: Knight Errant, Into the Void, Iron Fist/Solo Command, Mercy Kill, Kenobi, KOTOR Omnibuses, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, Dark Times 7: A Spark Remains. (I'm already pretty sure I'll get the ones in italic)
    Which of these would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

16. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    Now i know that this might be impossible, but has anyone tried to do a timeline that includes all older canon (before being rebranded legends) and that will try to fit the new disney canon as much as possible in the older canon?

17. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    So I had read Heir to the Empire the week before Lucasfilm's EU announcement. I'd like to finish the trilogy at some point, but will likely wait until after Episode VII is released, as I'd like to go into that film without any pre-conceived notions of what I think the story should be based on the books.

That being said, I do want to continue to explore the EU. I'd like to go back to the prequel era and books set pre-prequels in the Old Republic - preferably some that have direct tie-ins to the story of the prequels or the characters in them.

Recommendations?

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul Shadow Hunter for lead up to TPM.

19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's enough.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    (my bold)
    No love for comics?

21. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    does anyone know what is/are the most violent comic book(s)?
    if there are multiple ones which one is the best one?

22. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    If you want all out war and death for the whole story, something like The Clone Wars: Last Stand on Jabiim or Empire: The Imperial Perspective (particularly the two part "To The Last Man" arc) would be great.

If you mean like gore and brutality, I'm not so sure. That's not typically a theme of Star Wars comics, but the Jabba the Hutt comics are very gory and nasty (he eats people and uses his tail as a weapon on multiple occasions,) though it's played for more of a macabre humor effect.

23. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    yah that's what I was looking for, thanks!

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction has some good action in it. It's in the Fett omnibus.

25. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I know, I know. I've never been a fan. Could totally be I just haven't read the right ones, so if you have a few pre-prequel era comics to recommend, I'm all ears. :)