main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    For The Old Republic novels, after I finish Deceived, can I skip Red Harvest and begin Fatal Alliance? I'm not really into horror, but I also don't want to be confused.

2. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    are the lando calrissian adventures also incorporated?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes - but only in passing references.

Lando, when Han meets him at the start of Rebel Dawn, begins telling him about what happened in the last book of the Lando Calrissian trilogy (before being interrupted by a Barabel with a grudge against Han) and part way through The Hutt Gambit there's a reference to Lando's picking up a cargo of life-crystals in the Oseon system (end of book 1 in the trilogy).

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget Vuffi Raa!

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He does appear in Lando's company in The Hutt Gambit a few times (including at the Battle of Nar Shaddaa).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yep. Such an interesting droid.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did Kreia see the Galactic Empire coming? A lot of what she says comes true in the movies.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Implicitly.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    So I've recently had a random realization about the NJO that doesn't really fit into any of the existing threads. Where's the best place to post something like that?

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You can create your own thread!

11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't know if it's on topic to ask about rereading books, but I didn't want to start a separate thread for this.

So I was planning of rereading a selection of Bantam books (X-Wing, Thrash, I Jedi, Black Fleet Trilogy, and Hand of Thrawn) and then going to the NJO. Then I decided to reread the NJO first, but now I'm not sure. I really like both selections of books and so I don't want to wait almost a year to reread the other set ( college tends to keep me busy). Thus, I'm struggling to come to a decision. So does anyone have any suggestions on what I should reread first?

12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I hate this feeling. I'm having to re-boot my knowledge of SW. I don't want to read "Legends" books because they're not canon any more. So I've stopped. I want to read books though. Every list of books I've found lists all of them, not just the new canon books. So, I've got two questions: 1. are there any new books in the canon universe? 2. Is there a list somewhere (wookieepedia, tf.n, etc) listing just the new, canon books?

Thanks!

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes, and yes. The problem is that the list of canon books is really, really short.
    A New Dawn is the only adult novel out at the moment. Heir to the Jedi, Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, and an untitled Ventress/Vos novel are coming, and there might be some junior novels for Rebels as well.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And if you're not gonna read Legends material because they're not canon, then read them because they're Star Wars. I mean, when 99% of SW lit is non-canon, you should probably look into some of it. :p

I tell ya, as great as canon is, sometimes it's a franchise's worst enemy. Saying you won't read the Thrawn Trilogy because it's non-canon is like saying the same thing about The Dark Knight Returns. "What's that? It's commonly lauded as one of the best stories of its respective universe? nc;dr"

Not to harp on you specifically Ishy. Just a general complaint I have. ;)

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would definitely be ridiculous if Ishy didn't at least read RotS novelization, because as I like to say, if the opening epigraph and introduction can't get your attention, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Random Comments likes this.
  16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah you need to read Tghrawn Trilogy and NJO just for the joy of it

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I was in the middle of reading through Bantam's stuff (finishing up X-Wing and Corellian trilogy) when suddenly I was hit with an overwhelming urge to read the New Jedi Order stuff.

I still have a bit of a way to go in the Bantam stuff... the Jedi Academy trilogy/I Jedi, Black Fleet Crisis, the one offs, and Hand of Thrawn. Will I be a terrible person if I don't read those before going into New Jedi Order?

18. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    You could easily go to the NJO. Still I'd recommend reading at least I, Jedi and Hand of Thrawn. Those would give you the major events of the Galactic Civil War and the sate of the galaxy pre-NJO. Also, Stackpole and Zhan worked well together, so I think their books are worth finishing.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When Exar Kun arrives on Yavin, a purple creature knocks him out. What is this purple creature called?

20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
  21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    So darklordoftech has found a new species? We could name it darklordoftechsaurus or something like that.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Not all the Bantam books have the same tone. While anyone has the choice to read what they choose I'd say it's worth considering that the more you skip the less cohert your perception of what the SW EU will likely become. Nor do I recommend I Jedi, I found it absolutely terrible but then Cushy's tastes and perceptions are unusual.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you! ^:)^

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Nope. The creature that I refer to knocks Kun out before Zythmnr emerges.