main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That said, the arbitrary cutoff date that made Heir to the Jedi canon while leaving out the other two Empire and Rebellion books probably played a part as well.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    finished "darth maul shadow hunter" it was ok...wouldn't read it again...story is a little irrelevant to the grand scheme of things...especially when the general gist of it is covered in a couple of pages in the epic "darth plagueis"

next up for me is the heir to the empire prequel trilogy (thats what i like to call it) "outbound flight, allegiance, and choices of one."

epicness awaits!

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Has anyone read the book The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire? Basically it's a reference book covering the whole Shadows of the Empire multimedia project. Generally I love this kind of book, but I haven't ever heard any opinions on it. Is it any good? Some reference books can be a bit underwhelming or disappointing.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It is is all right, if you can try to hunt down the two Shadow of the Empire WEG guides, as they go into much in more in depth and expand a great many aspects of the story.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I bought it and owned it back when it first came out, and the whole MMP was in full swing. I know I enjoyed it then, and appreciated the insights into the project. I was all in - I had the N64 Game, the comics, and novel, the soundtrack, the action figures, etc. Apart from that, my memory is kind of vague on it. I remember enjoying the pictures/art in the book.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got it. I enjoyed it. It's recommended if you want to know the 'behind the scenes' story of the different pieces.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So it's closer to a behind-the-scenes "The Making of SOTE" book than it is an in-universe reference work?

Taalcon likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's basically it. SOTE was conceived as a 'film without the film' - i.e. it would have all the thing associated with a film (action figures, video game, soundtrack, comics, book, etc) without the actual film. This book looks at the whole process.

Taalcon likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What are 10 good PT or before books.

10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Plaguis
    Medstar Duology
    Outbound Flight
    Shatterpoint
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Revenge of the Sith (I know it's a movie novelization but it's a fantastic book)

None of these are currently canon, but they are great books none the less. Although, a part of Shatterpoint jas been referenced in a vague way by a canon novel, so part of it may have happened. Still canonicity doesn't really matter. What's the most important is whether or not the book is good.

Sanford, JediMatteus and mes520 like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  12. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    maul:lockdown is also good.

13. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    Which part are you referring to? It's been long enough since I've read Shatterpoint that I didn't catch any references to it.

Even if that's true, I'm pretty sure Shatterpoint was also the first EU book to be directly contradicted by the new canon because of Kanan's backstory in Rebels (though this would still be pretty easy to retcon in my opinion). Sad, because Shatterpoint is my favorite Star Wars book.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    General Kleeve talks about her emerging from something - and about the rumours of her instability.

That said, both her Marks of Illumination (the two beads on her face) are there, and there's no obvious scarring (in the Shatterpoint novel, she gouged the upper one out).

15. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    There's also another reference from Kanan's perspective that mentions her emerging from something.

Her marks of illumination could have been restored fairly easily.

Cheerios4u98 and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    Heh, that's pretty cool. I didn't catch those. If I had I probably would have had the biggest stupid grin on my face because Shatterpoint is my favorite.

17. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Ya, they are pretty awesome. I love Shatterpoint too. It's not an actual canonization of the book but it's enough for me. It's one thing to say I can make a book fit or that one can fit easily due to there being no contradictory stories, but such things still make it hard to view them as part of the same universe. For example, Cloak of Deception is a great book that easily fits with all of the new canon material, but I can't mentally picture it as part of the same universe since I no it's not officially and there are no references to it. Now with Shatterpoint I can picture it as existing within canon, despite it still being legends for the most part. Having a reference to the book's ending allows me to picture it as actually happening. I could imagine Depa saying things due to the events of Shatterpoint. They seemed like the same character just because of the reference. I don't care about what's official, if I cam picture ot as happening then it's canon to me and as far as I'm concerned Kanan introduced Shatterpoint onto my personal canon.

Taalcon, Cheerios4u98 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What's the difference between the Clone Cold Assault Troopers and the Galactic Marines?

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Ones Cold.[face_dunno]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Sanford

Sanford Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2015
    When does Marvel's Star Wars comic series take place in relation to Kevin Hearne's novel, Heir to the Jedi? In Heir to the Jedi, Luke learns how to use telekinesis to move objects through the Force, but he doesn't understand how Vader is able to move his lightsaber in the second issue of Marvel's series. That would mean the Marvel comics have to take place sometime before the events of Heir to the Jedi, but that doesn't make sense either. In Heir to the Jedi, Luke tells Nakari he hasn't heard Ben's voice since the Battle of Yavin, but in the first issue of the Marvel comics, he hears Ben telling him to run from Vader.

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Story group? Ha!
    Just pretend HTTj never happened. It's better that way.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The official word is, HTTJ takes place first. It's not that he doesn't understand that Vader's able to use telekiniesis in the Marvel issue, it's that he's surprised at Vader yanking it out of his hand like it's the last TV on Black Friday, when all of the TK he's seen and done himself to that point is very slow, refined, small-scale stuff that requires intense concentration. It's Vader's power that catches him off-guard, not the act in and of itself.

Taalcon, Dante1120, Iron_lord and 2 others like this.
  23. Sanford

Sanford Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2015
    You didn't like it?

24. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    That makes more sense!
    Irritated by the end, and stylistically not a fan of first person that doesn't feel like that person. I'm not just a new-canon hater or something. AND was great.

Sanford likes this.
  25. Sanford

Sanford Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2015
    That does make more sense; thanks for clearing that up. :)
    Yeah, I'm relatively new to the EU, but Heir to the Jedi has been the weakest I've read. It was alright, but A New Dawn is great. I'm reading it now.