main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    AND is really great, yes. If you like it and enjoy the Rebels show as well, I'd recommend Jason Fry's Servants of the Empire series. It's two books right now with two more yet to be released. They're YA books, technically, but that really only means that they are shorter than most novels.

2. Sanford

Sanford Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2015
    I'll have to check them out next. Some of my favorite books are actually YA. I'm assuming they aren't part of the new canon, right? Or are they since there are still new books being released in the series?

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    They are, actually. Everything released around Rebels is, so far as I know.

Sanford and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I keep meaning to get these...sometime soon.

And yes, all Rebels material is canon. Even when it is contradictory, like the description of TIEs...

5. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    are the star wars insider New canon stories(like blade squadron) ever going to be avaliable outside of star wars insider?(compilation books or star wars.com)I don't like the idea of tracking down a load of year old magazines for only a few pages I want to read.

6. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Occasionally they show up in the samplers, but there haven't been short story compilation books in ages.

7. Sanford

Sanford Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2015
    Just finished A New Dawn (awesome) and had to check out the first issue of Kanan: The Last Padawan while I was at it. In the comic, Kanan mentions Depa Billaba disappearing for a while during the war before returning to train him. I was wondering if he was referring to her coma from the novel Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover. Would that make Shatterpoint canon again?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, it is just a reference. Like how you mention something used in the comics in the movie adaptation.

9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Not officially speaking, but it is suggestive that the Story Group might not go out of their way to erase the traces of the old EU in NuCanon...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Without splicing too many hairs, a hard sell for any SW fan I know, I'd say during this early phase of restructuring canon, if a reference is made for hardcore fans, it's probably there for a reason.

Take Macross for example, all of the various stories are broadstrokes canon. Same basic structure, just interpreted differently. Thus, it's highly likely at this point someone extremely similar happened to Depa based around the events of Shatterpoint.

Take the Republic Commandos like Boss, Fixer, Scorch and Sev showing up in Clone Wars. No, the game is never 100% referenced, but we're supposed to believe these battle hardened commandos never saw action before their first appearance in the show?

11. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Also it leaves room open for reinterpretations of the events. If they for some reason, decide to make a 'Bilaba: The lost years' comic, adapting the events of Shatterpoint somewhat, they can freely do it.

But if they don't, we're just welcome to assume Shatterpoint happened.

Schrodinger's continuity

12. Akaan Skirata

Akaan Skirata Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2015
    I've read the Darth Bane series, the Last of the Jedi series, and various others. As you may tell by my nam, my favorite by far is the Republic Commando series. Any suggestions on other books relating to Mando culture?

13. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Karen Traviss's Legacy of the Force books deal with Mando culture. But they aren't the best books ever.
    (I'm guessing Sabine's Rebel Sketchbook isn't what you are looking for.)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is the comics also.

In Open Season so do we follow Jango as he goes from a kid on a war torn planet, to the leaders of the True Mandolorians, to being the last of the True Mandolorians. There is not much mando culture but some nice visuals.

There is also the Mandalore arc in the old Marvel comics. Much more culture since we see civilian clothing (rather Tron like), a forest village and some kind of statues that gives us examples of mandolorian art. Just so you know so was most of this ignored by later authors, Traviss among them.

In the Tales of the Jedi: Sith War comic so are show the first, or at least earliest, meeting between the Republic and the Mandolorians. The Sith War mandos where more or less space barbarians and we get glimpse of culture through the art and the dialogue.

The TCW showed us mandolorians that had a cubistic architecture and Picasso like art but TCW's mandolorians were rather different from Traviss'.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Better IMO.

16. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    What is the different between a "junior novel" and a "young adult novel"?? Some of the books in the Journey to the Force Awakens series are labeled as "junior novels" while others are labeled as "young adult novels." And Aftermath is simply a "novel." Is "junior" geared more towards children? This is the first time I've heard the term "junior novel."

17. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Glove of Darth Vader is considered a dumb series aimed more for kids. Apparently kids think Triclops people are cool with eyes literally in the back of their heads or foreheads and running around claiming to be the long lost sons of Darth Vader

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Junior is probably aimed at middle grade readers. If you have a specific title in mind, try checking one of the Amazon sites. The write-up usually says what ages the book is aimed at if it's not an adult book.

19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The emperor not vader, the original trilogy is about a guy running around claiming to be the long lost son of vader:D

Young adult is for early teenager tweens, junior is for younger than that like 8 years olds they are written for those reading levela. Although I never took that reading level stuff seriously, whose to say what an kid is not ready to read, I first read dune at 10 and I bet a lot of you were reading sci-fi that was geared toward children at that age as well. It is just that the young adult scfi genre has gotten real popular over the last few years, especially the dystopian future subgenre, which has been a big hit thanks to the Hunger games and divergent.

20. Caode

Caode Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2015
    I've a problem that I'm hoping I can get solved here with some help.

I've just been buying the first few issues of the various new Star Wars series individually, through eBay and whatnot.. but it's not going to be affordable in the long run. I would be far better off being able to set up a subscription somewhere. The problem is there are no comic shops, or retailers anywhere near me. I'm not sure if this is entirely the right place to ask but is anyone able to recommend an online retailer that I could set up a subscription with? Preferably based in the UK. (or Ireland since that's where I am, I'm not too sure if there are any online that do something like that here though)

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could try Forbidden Planet. I haven't used them for subscriptions so I can't rate that for you. I make pilgrmages to the London store a few times a year.

Caode likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Now I have this picture in my brain of Boba Fett in pilgrim robes above his armour and a scallop shell mark instead of the beast skull

AnakinColodin and LAJ_FETT like this.
  23. Tobeh

Tobeh Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2015
    Hey guys, I am trying to really delve into the new canon here (I am sure this is a popular topic of discussion on this page). If you were to read A New Dawn or Tarkin first, which would you choose as a fan of the old EU? I am thinking about skipping Heir to the Jedi just because I have heard it is painfully slow and dull.

Danke!

Tobeh

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarkin has more "old EU ships and characters, and plot references" at least - though A New Dawn has some. I liked Heir to the Jedi myself, but I can see why some others might not.

From an "old-EU-centric perspective" Tarkin is probably the most rewarding.

25. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

I have both but have only read AND. The premise seemed more attractive I guess, I was more in the mood for a lighter adventure and it delivered.