main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Well if you liked Traitor, expect to see everything you liked about it overwritten. Like a herd of stampeding wildebeest. You'll be Simba watching helpless. So run away from LOTF/FOTJ now, grand_admiral_ewok. Run away and never return.

If you're looking for anything post-NJO, read Allston's last X-Wing, Mercy Kill. Or even Luceno's Millennium Falcon, which isn't a major epic but still a fun little romp.

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Oh!
    Actually, Mercy Kill is pretty good. I forgot it was Post-NJO.
    Kenobi is still better.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Just read Wookieepidia thats what i do.

mes520 likes this.
  5. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    What would you guys say is the best introduction Star Wars novel for someone who is interested in reading a Star Wars book but isn't a huge Star Wars fan? Maybe that's a weird question, but one of my friends told me that she wants to read a Star Wars book but doesn't know where to start. I don't know where to start either honestly, so I didn't have a good suggestion for her. She's seen the movies a couple times each but isn't too familiar with the SW universe.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Kenobi is very stand alone, otherwise of course the classics - The Thrawn Trilogy and X-Wing

Cheerios4u98 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yep, I agree. Mindor is a good standalone as well.

8. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I'm new to the EU so If I'm flat-out wrong please tell me but is it just me or did the Prequel-era EU not do much with Padme? I mean, in comparison to her "trio" companions, Anakin and Obi, and other female characters like Leia and Mara Jade who seemed to have more representation in their respective era.
    Her Legends appearances tab on the wook seems to be filled mostly with sticker/children books and (mentioned only) in numerous novels. [face_coffee]

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  9. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

This was the book that really got me into the EU. I guess if it worked for me it could work for someone else too!

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah, they seemed to have even less of a clue what to do with her then Leia, thought at least TCW tried to do something with her, sadly usually with every little success indeed.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    CW also had that little Ilum arc.

12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Padme drew the short straw in the prequel-era lit. I really thought they would have done something more with her by now. Sure, we'll get a novel about how Tarkin chose his uniform, but that's important, not like exploring the life of Luke and Leia's mother.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sarcasm, much? :p That was in the first chapter and may simply have been Luceno acknowledging Sir's sense of aesthetic appreciation via his SW character. Far from a crime.

14. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    #worstfirstchapterever

Edit: I get that it's important that we get inside the head of a man/monster who would blow up a planet as an interrogation technique, but Padme needs fleshing out.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    As others have just said, your observation is spot-on.

Thinking back on it, I remember being a huge fan of Padme back when TPM came out. It was partly because of the short slew of Padme-related EU stories that came out -- like Queen in Disguise or The Queen's Amulet or even the TPM game's levels where you played as her. I liked how she was this serious non-childish teenager who was always in disguise. All of her stories focused on that "disguise" aspect.

I don't know why they never continued that route. TCW tried to make her go under-cover but... I dunno... she wasn't a serious badass who kept a blaster in her chair anymore. All she did was fret and talk about taxes and boyfriends.

16. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    She popped up in one of the Clone Wars Adventures adventures doing some spying. It was one of her rare appearances in a Dark Horse comic.

mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    LOL how could I forget the one with Passel Argente's weird uncle?

There was a Clone Wars magazine comic along those lines as well. A couple of pages of Padme spying at a party. Anakin couldn't tell the difference between Padme and Sabe and Earte.

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I've never read any of the magazine comics. Am I missing anything good?

That one CWA comic (Spy Girls) may have given us my three favourite one panel background characters; Pig in a bowler, Wookiee in a fez and Hutt in a propellor beanie.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I've only read a couple. The UK crowd might know more. They're generally a couple of pages long, max. One of the last ones starred Barriss and was particularly good -- it was probably the best attempt at explaining her eventual fall by using her old personality.

Basically in a couple of panels she and Ahsoka make some friends with a cute mousy-looking species on this one planet, and most die as a result of some of their own faulty decisions. Barriss takes it a lot worse than Ahsoka and begins to draw the conclusions she voices at the jury in that TCW episode.

If the others are that good, Disney might consider collecting them all someday.

Darth_Duck and Gorefiend like this.
  20. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, y'all...

'Tis a shame. Hopefully someone decides to do more with Padme one day. Utilizing the disguise and handmaidens aspect too, like Barriss_Coffee said.
    They're literally a clique of fashionable soldiers/bodyguards efficiently trained in combat, bearing resemblance to each other, with extreme and brave loyalty to their "lady"... I love the concept. :cool:

Riv_Shiel, Gorefiend, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    can someone tell me what this is -

Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire Volume 1 (Epic Collection: Star Wars

I've looked it up on amazon but am none the wiser .

22. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    It's a Marvel reprint of some Dark Horse comics set after Order 66. So early Dark Times, Purge and Darth Vader and the....

gezvader28 likes this.
  23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    years ago Dark Horse were reprinting Marvel comics .

now Marvel are reprinting DH ?

24. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Yeah. O brave new world...

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Found it in store. Pretty cool.