main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i loved New Rebellion. great novel.

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    No I'm positive that they are not canon. Though they exist in their own universe. Its a seperate thing from both the "Canon" universe and the legends universe. It is like the Lego movies ( however many there are now but the yoda chronicles, padawan menace, empire strikes out). I'd also include "spin off unofficial (not from lucas) universes which are Family Guy Star Wars and Robot Chicken Star Wars. Also I'd add "spin off official" that is only the unreleased Detours. They are all not part of the canon but they all use the main "movie" (and hence canon) universe and then follow there own rules. Boy this is getting confusing, maybe a diagram would help. Hope this clears the problem up.

Barriss_Coffee and DelRiego like this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I'd say they're part of the Infinity stuff.

4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    My only prob with New Rebellion was that they had to bring Luke to 10% of his original power and health to give him a challenge with Kueller. I wish that they could have made it a good hero/villian matchup, without having Luke be near death

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Huh? If you mean it is its own separate thing the yes that's what I meant without explicitly stating it!

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Does anyone know whether it's been recanonized that Clone Commander Gree named himself after an ancient alien species?

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't think it has, unless the detail possibly showed up somewhere in Ultimate Star Wars. Wookieepedia says Gree is mentioned in Star Wars in 100 Scenes, which I'll be able to check in a few hours.

8. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Do beings in the GFFA wear wedding rings?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    According to Union they do.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say it depend on the culture.

Ewok Poet and Gorefiend like this.
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And Glove of Darth Vader. That makes it super-canon.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

In fact there are also engagement rings.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Promise_ring

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. KarrdeFan

KarrdeFan Jedi Master

Oct 18, 2012
    I thought I would turn to people here on a question of what to read. I am still going through the Legends EU and have read most of the post ROTJ books, skipping over those that either don't interest me or have seemed to be universally panned, such as Crystal Star. I have though read all the main books, including NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ. That being said, I noticed I have still three of the trilogies that I have not read. I have not read Black Fleet Crisis, Corellian Trilogy, and Dark Nest Trilogy. Which, if any, would anyone recommend? I have a basic understanding of their plots from other books that have taken place but wanted to read at least one of them this summer if i have time. Thanks for any help

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    hope this is the right thread for my question -

what books / comics are coming out (or have come out) which are related to the upcoming movies ?

And is there a 'new EU' now ? what's it called ?

15. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Rather than list them all out, I'll direct you to this site, which has a pretty comprehensive list of everything coming out that we know of.
    Not in the exact sense of "new EU" though you'll hear it called that. The original Expanded Universe was re-branded "Legends," and Lucasfilm re-established the "canon continuity" with the movies and the two animated series at its core. Most movies, books, comics, and other media being released (with a few exceptions) are now part of this continuity, all of which is supervised by the Lucasfilm Story Group and is considered "canon." Legends material, meanwhile, continues to exist as an "alternate continuity" of sorts and many Legends elements are referenced by and/or ported to the canon continuity. While the canon continuity isn't technically a "new EU" since the intention is for all canon stories to exist on the same level of canonicity, assuming that is a word (my spellcheck says no), there's nothing at all wrong with using the term to get the point across. It doesn't have it's own official name so that works just as well as anything.

gezvader28 likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Well if you already made your way through the much worse LOTF and FOTJ books you might as well read Dark Nest, whist the Black Fleet has its moments (the Lando parts are really good) I found it not that great overall, though again you have suffered through LOTF and FOTJ and they are certainly not worse than that. Feel free to skip the Corellia Trilogy, as it is rather pointless though also not worse than LOTF and FOTJ.

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    NJo was the last great eu books, although elemnts of LOTf and FOTJ are good, but they failed towards the end. TUF was the best ending of all time.

Grievousdude and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So as a bit of a tribute to Sir Christopher Lee, I want to try and reread some good Dooku stories. Unfortunately, with the exception of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, I can't actually think of any. Any recommendations?

19. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy is really underrated, in my opinion, and quite fantastic. And yes, those Lando/Lobot scenes on the Teljkon Vagabond are pure gold.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

He has some great stuff in the Dark Horse Republic Comic Series.

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I agree its thin on dooku, but he is in labyrinth of evil. Tcw has him more than anything

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jude Watson's Legacy of the Jedi (also sold as an omnibus along with Secrets of the Jedi) goes into his early history in detail - so, for those who were curious about the cryptic Lorian Nod reference in the RoTS novel - that's where to look.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

You can always watch the TCW movie sure its not the best but Lee does the voice for the movie.

24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    It's a good show. Just get past the first season

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's lots of good moments in the first season - just not so much Dooku moments.

Jedi Knight Fett and Vthuil like this.