main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Although he was not bad in the movie.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. The novelization dwells more on his thoughts and ideas.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Dooku got some good moments in Season 4 of TCW.

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. Darkskythe

Darkskythe Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2015
    Could anyone help me out please, i'll try to keep it as brief as possible and hopefully make sense. I'm looking to dip my toes into certain parts of the expanded universe but there is so much available i don't know where to start. I don't really want to go beyond return of the Jedi so i can watch The force awakens in December with a 'clean sheet' and hopefully be blown away rather than feel let down from reading some possibly better post-return of the jedi books/graphic novels. What i'm looking for are any stories featuring Boba Fett, such as what was he up to before capturing Han Solo and anything (one shot graphic novels or short stories) with him basically kicking butt, taking names and collecting bounties.
    I'm also after similar books with Han Solo and Chewbacca, stories about some of their adventures before they meet Obi Wan in that bar in A new hope as well as anything that includes any previous run-ins between Him and Boba Fett, or if a story about the '12 parsec Kessel Run' exists, that sounds like it would be a fun read as well.
    I have ordered a couple of books off amazon to get started with (just a character guide, The bounty hunter code, Jedi Path and Book of the Sith) but would be good to have a couple of back stories involving Han Solo and Boba Fett before i watch the original trilogy ready for when The Force Awakens.
    Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read/reply to this.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

These are properly perfect for you in that case. Though all old EU and so no longer canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Adventures
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_One_Standing:_The_Tale_of_Boba_Fett
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omnibus:_Boba_Fett

Sturm Antilles and Darkskythe like this.
  6. Darkskythe

Darkskythe Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2015
    Thank you for the links, have found and ordered the first 3, that Boba Fett Omnibus has proved to be a bit more difficult unless want to pay £30+ for a graphic novel, typical as thats the one i like the look of the most, lol. May have to try and take a road trip to Hay on Wye (an awesome village about 2 hours from where i live which is full of bookshops) to see if anyone has it there.
    Looking forward to having a read through these, will try to post a 'new guys' perspective of them in the relevant threads when they arrive and i have read them.

7. Abbiegalie

Abbiegalie Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 27, 2015
    I loved the thrawn trilogy books!

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Darth Plagueis.
    Revenge of the Sith
    Some of the Republic Dark Horse comics. He also has one named after him.
    Legacy of the Jedi
    TCW, and Lee voices him in TCW movie.

He hasn't been in the new canon much. They haven't really explored that era yet, though he does appear in a flashback in Tarkin.

10. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Is the Black fleet trilogy worth checking out? I heard it had a lot of space battle sequences, which I'm not too keen on but what about confrontations with force wielders/character development?

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The Lando parts are really good, the rest sadly not really.

JediMatteus likes this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I actually liked the Leia vs the Yevetha part the best. I especially liked how Senators didn't roll over for her, comparing her to Vader. I would've liked to see a scene where the New Republic learned about her and Luke's heritage. In the Thrawn Trilogy, it was still a secret, but by the Black Fleet Crisis, it was basically public knowledge.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

If you're looking for Jedi vs Sith type stuff, you'll find none. There is a "new" Force organization in it, but they're not villains, there's no real confrontation, more of a discussion.

It's cut into thirds. One third is about Luke on a search for his mother....only it came out before the PT, sooooo...you know how that turns out. One third is about Leia dealing with a new alien threat, the Yevetha, making a power play. It's politics...but I thought it was actually pretty good. The Yevetha make excellent villains, and their leader Nil Spaar is one of the best villains of the old EU, imo. The other third is a neat sci-fi adventure about Lando, Lobot (rare appearance! and it's actually pretty neat) and the droids trying to figure out an alien ship.

Character development. Luke has an arc. It starts off a bit weird imo, and I found the whole thing torturous (it involves my most hated Star Wars character ever), but it's an arc, I guess.

I thought Luke's third was really annoying, but I like the other two-thirds.

I don't know if I can recommend it to you, though. It has plenty of space battles (something I enjoy, but you're not too keen on), and there's no epic confrontations with force wielders whatsoever.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I really like the Black Fleet Crisis, but as a caveat to the praise for the Lando plot, I want to note that while it's fun, it has basically nothing whatsoever to do with the other two plots.

PCCViking, CT-867-5309 and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Is the Black Fleet Crisis the story where Lando lands with an armada and has a robot sidekick? It was a forest I think?

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I can't recommend at all. Did not even like lando that much.

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Other than that vile woman stringing Luke along, I love the BFC.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It shows you don't have to be violent, or a Darksider, to be a somewhat unscrupulous Force User - though "returning to one's lost family" is a sympathetic reason, it doesn't excuse that level of deception.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't even realize I disliked her that much until I reread the trilogy, which probably had something to do with fact I was rather young when I originally read the trilogy and the rest of the trilogy was far more memorable than most of Luke's part until Tyrant's Test.

20. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    only cool part is Luke bringing up Vader's fortress with just the force.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Actually I still consider that one of the most stupid things Old EU Luke ever did, so apparently did Zahn ;)

22. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    at least it was a major force feat. not enough of those with luke in the bantam era. It was stupid what he did with it. That i agree with.

23. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
  24. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I've never heard of it, but it says it's 4 pages long...

25. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Could it be the little booklet frim the DVD release? They have copied it and given it a new cover to trick someone?