main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Eh, I prefer Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    As Gorefiend said, you can't go wrong with Shatterpoint. Actually, despite the fact that Shatterpoint is Legends now, it may be relevant to the Kanan comics by Marvel. And speaking of comics and the clone wars period, I highly recommend you read the Republic comics and it's successor Dark Times by Dark Horse. If you are even remotely interested in comics and Star Wars, those two titles are something you shouldn't skip.

Kylun and Gorefiend like this.
  3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

it is great. But you can make a strong case for Labyrinth of Evil or ROTS novelization. unless you consider this post-clone wars.

4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Shatterpoint would be a great beginning spot or rogue planet

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Chronologically, does the novel Star Wars: Aftermath come first or the comic book Star Wars: Shattered Empire?

6. Darth Xero

Darth Xero Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2015
    I've been trying to do research on what is and what isnt "cannon" but I keep getting different info. So is everything on the "legends" banner" basically been scraped and only newer books after sometime in 2014 actually continuity to the shows and movies?

JediMatteus likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    This should help you

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Also feel free to visit the NU Continuity Timeline/Source List thread, where matters of what works are canon and where they fit into the timeline are discussed.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just be prepared that they will threat the new canon continuity with the same reverence as they did the old continuity when it was canon.

wmu'14 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  10. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I for one wasn't here when the old continuity was canon, and have frankly never treated either continuity with "reverence." Just saying.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry what I meant that even in the old days, before Legend, even before the Clone Wars, so was canon and continuity not threated as laws set in stones by the authors, game writers and editor, as some people here seems to believe, but they were more threated as... guidelines. So we will probably see just as many instances of bad continuity, ignoring the canon and retcons with the new continuity as with the old. Given time of course.

12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    No problem, and yes, there are and will certainly be continuity problems in the new canon. The hope is that coordinating stories from the beginning will result in fewer instances of authors ignoring established canon and thus fewer retcons, and I think it's way too early in the lifespan of the new canon to know whether or not they'll be successful (but they're doing a fairly good job so far).

13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Hey guys, I don't like starting new threads - and I thought this may be an appropriate place for this question:

A while back, I realized that I was missing one floppy from the original "Star Wars Legacy" series - this was the series that took place far in the future, after Han, Luke, Leia, etc. had passed. In any case, I'm missing the individual issue #32 or #33 (don't have my collection in front of me to verify this).

So, did Dark Horse ever reprint the "Legacy" series in Omnibus form (I know they were reprinted in Trades, but those are OOP)? I did some research, and didn't find any evidence that Dark Horse had reprinted this in the Omnibus format, but may have missed something.

And, if Dark Horse didn't reprint these as Omnis, is Marvel planning on reprinting this Legacy series?! Haven't been following the Marvel SW series at all, so was not sure about this.

Thanks in advance for any info. on this!

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

You can find those 2 comics in Volume 2 of this 3 Part Hardback collection Dark Horse made.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Legacy_Book_2

15. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great! Thanks for the quick response.

16. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Can I jump into the NJO series without reading the bantam era books, thrawn or the x wing series? Or will I be out of depth and confused/ missing out?

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I was at the grocery store a while back and was looking for a stand-alone SW book. They only had Kenobi so I bought it.

Evidently the book is primarily about a farmer/Sandpeople war that Obi-Wan helps in. While that's interesting and all, I'm not sure if it'll be interesting enough for 400 or so pages. It seems like a thick book for something like that.

My question is, how much does the book drag? I've had it for a while and would like to read it but feel like it may not be with the 400 pages or so. I don't mind these kinds of books, but will it be Star Warsy enough? It seems like people on here really like it but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

18. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I haven't read it yet but all books drag and there are always parts that suck and are hard to get through.
    My question to you is: What have you got to lose?

I mean you have already bought it and I guess you can't take it back. If you are reading it and lose interest or don't have the time just put it down. That is the beauty of owning the book. Looking over I have four books with bookmarks in (Lotr Fellowship, ASOIAF ASOS pt 2, The Planatagenets and SW Dark disciple if you are wondering) there isn't anything wrong with them, I just lost interest and dropped out of each.

I guess it feels like star wars because it has Kenobi in. The author wrote another book A New Dawn that is a prequel to Rebels and that was better than the show in my opinion and felt just like Sw. It ran like ANH in terms of the adventure aspect and running around being chased. I have faith Kenobi is the same and is on my list to read (mind you most of them are).

Try it and find out!

wmu'14 likes this.
  19. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Ooh I recommend getting back into TLotR if you've never read it. It may be slower and different then the movies, but you have to appreciate it for what it is: Really good.

LotR was that kind of book though. I read it really fast in high school not really picking anything up and thinking it was dragging and boring, and then I re-read it in college and absolutely loved it.

20. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I am going to finish it I just found it jarring. I stopped at weathertop and just felt really underwhelmed by the walking and discussion of hobbiton. I love Tolkien and read The Silmarillion last year so I'm not a stranger to feeling out of depth but comparing the two I felt better reading the Sil than Lotr. It just wasn't as captivating as other books but I will finish it.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

It gets better after they get to Bree. Probably one of the reasons Peter Jackson skipped most of the journey to Bree in the movie.

22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    One of the best of the end of the EU. Definitely worth reading through.

If you haven't read The Thrawn Trilogy, you definitely should. And Hand of Thrawn, while you're at it.
    Same with the X-wing novels.

You probably could jump into the NJO if you have a vague idea of the state of the galaxy, but there'll be lots of characters and such whose significance might be unclear.
    And the Zahn/Stackpole/Allston books are better than most of the NJO, anyway.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Yes you can. It is a little heavy. But you can. I would recommend reading Thrawn trilogy and hand of Thrawn Dualogy to get a better grip though.

Gorefiend and Darthmaul208 like this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

You can, the only thing that might confuse you is when Leia had kids, who Luke married and what heroic stuff the people from X-Wing did in the past, but the books pretty much explain that.

That book is so much more ^^

Not at all.

JediMatteus likes this.
  25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Hence my other recommendations.