main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    He looks a bit like that in this pic
    [​IMG]

Another character that maybe could be used is the dark jedi Brakiss but maybe he is not that well known IU, also don't go by the pics in his wooki' page. He is described as being the most good looking man ever seen by more or less everybody, and dressed in silver.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Um, besides the fact that they've already said they are reprinting them unchanged...?

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    They've only done the OT ones, as far as I know, right now.

4. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes, but the OT ones have far more differences from what's in the film's, too.

5. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Davak24 has unfortunately latched on to my negativity and ran with it, which isn't the example I wanted to set.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Zeta, I'm hurt.

*Leaves crying*

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    If you aren't happy with the direction LFL is taking things, then you aren't happy, but don't dwell on it. Which has been my failing in dealing with the last few years of the EU and the new canon. I will probably still do a fair amount of complaining, and when sore subjects are brought up I will almost certainly voice my displeasure, but there is so much more to me than that.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Zeta, I understand. I actually post a lot of neutral/positive stuff elsewhere here. But you're just voicing your opinions. As am I. If a sore a subject comes up, I too voice my opinions. And I know there is. You and me want to go back to the way things were. (Pre-2008 media) but even though that show and related media has dragged me down, I'm still willing to give the movies a chance. I hope you will too, Zeta.

10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This is basically what I wanted to tell this person about a week ago in a different subforum, when I compared them to somebody who goes after people and wants them to change their opinion (and that other user is...too much to deal with most of the time). I should've known better at that point, but now, when the point has been brought up directly, I'd just like to say that I agree.

The point being: a lot of us hold certain things dear, but the point where we only complain and not like anything anymore is generally unpleasant. That way, we are only hurting ourselves. Take a step back if you don't like something or, if that helps, think of the artists, writers and people other than meddling executives - their work means something to them. I come from a fandom that happens to center around a breathing and living person who made some incredibly controversial decisions and they got to the point where they literally hate their own audience.

Vthuil likes this.
  11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, it is so much easier to voice displeasure than it is to say something positive. I will probably end up seeing TFA at some point, but I am probably the most uninterested person on the entire planet about the new canon and I am don't think I will be going out of my way to see it.

12. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Well, Zeta, when things start getting better in the franchise, then we can get more positive. And that's great!

13. DarthMalgus21

DarthMalgus21 Jedi Padawan

Mar 27, 2015
    I'll try this again. I would enjoy some advice as to where to get my feet wet pertaining to the graphic novel omnibus series' ? I was thinking either TCW or The Dark Times. Advice in the 'right' direction would be greatly appreciated. Also, any previous older threads related to this would be great as well. If it helps, as of now, I've strictly been a PT & only up to episode VI SW fan. Hence, this is where my interest lie (at least thus far).

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    TCW comics (based on the CG show) are pretty silly and unless you are a fan of the CG show I don't recommend them. The original Clone Wars comics are collected in 3 Omnibus volumes by Dark Horse and I highly recommend them. As for Dark Times, you won't get any higher recommendations on that series from me. Easily my favorite SW comics. There are two Omnibus volumes of Dark Times. Go get 'em.

Davak24 and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Iirc, some of the Dark Times/Empire/Rebellion stories followed on from the original Clone Wars ones.
    If you look at the old microseries comics, be aware that you oughtn't take them seriously.

spicer likes this.
  16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Dark Times is a continuation of Republic, but having read DT over a thousand times, trust me you can read it on it's own. Rebellion is a continuation of Empire, but I can't remember if it was fine to read it on it's own or having read Empire previously was kinda mandatory. I haven't reread Rebellion since it ended back in 08 or 09...

17. DarthMalgus21

Mar 27, 2015
    Thanks Spicer!!! Loving your Avatar lol :)

spicer likes this.
  18. DarthMalgus21

Mar 27, 2015
    Think I'll try TCW I-->TCW II-->TCW III-->DT I-->
    DT II -->The Empire epic collection. Then Rebellion possibly ?

What novels ultimately tie into the Dark Times ? If any at all ? Would that be anything immediately after order 66 ?

19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Thanks. It's a character from Dark Times :)
    Yeah, the 3 Clone Wars Omnibuses then the 2 Dark Times sounds good. After that you can try Empire and then Rebellion if you want to read them chronologically. The Empire Epic collection collects parts of Dark Times (so far, future volumes will cover more DT issues), but all the DT stories are collected in the 2 Omnibuses. I think it's cheaper and more convenient to go for the Omnibuses. As for tie in novels with Dark Times, there's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader that takes place concurrently with the first DT arc (covered in the first Omnibus). It's a pretty good novel and I do recommend it, but even if you don't read it nothing to worry about, DT works just fine on it's own. The Purge comics, Darth Vader and the Lost Command and Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison have some very small references in DT as well and take place concurrently with DT. Again, you don't need to read them to get DT or vice versa, however I highly recommend DV and the Ghost Prison. Excellent art and story.

And yes, DT starts during Order 66, technically before the Mustafar duel in EP III.

20. passer-by

passer-by Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2010
  21. passer-by

passer-by Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2010
    Found a TFN review:
    http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/r_building.asp

Looks interesting in the "warts and all" department. Wanted to know if it's another PC officially approved story, but apparently that's not the case. Excellent.

22. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    NOT STAR WARS but this screamed out to me.

Gaius Balter from Battlestar Galactica.
    Handsome, god complex/ "touched by god" supposedly, doom bringer, super intelligent.

He is like Einstein (intelligence), Hitler (genocide) and Jesus (preacher/ God).

Also Commander Adama from Battlestar Galactica has a god complex. It is not explored that much but one episode deals with it particularly.

*In case not to derail the thread pm me for more details.

23. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I asked this in another thread when the topic came up, but maybe someone can help me out with this.
    What exactly is the distinction between Zabraks/Iridonians/Nightbrothers/Nighsisters/Dathomirians/etc....?

This is my understanding so please please correct me if I am wrong.
    • All Zabraks (male and female) originally came from Iridonia (Iridonian Zabraks). They have normal human-like skin tones (light to dark).
    • Some male Zabraks were taken from Iridonia (by the Nightsisters?) to Dathomir. These Zabraks were given red and black tattoos and called the Nightbrothers (Dathomirian Zabraks).
    • Now do the Nightsisters breed with the Nightbrothers to make more...Nightsisters and Nightbrothers? How does that work? Aren't they completely different species? I guess this is sort of where I get lost.

24. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
  25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "YOUR BROWSER DOES NOT SUPPORT THE TECHNOLOGY NECESSARY FOR THIS EXPERIENCE. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BROWSER OR INSTALL CHROME" the site says as I browse it with the latest version of Chrome. I don't know what that means, exactly, but it gives me pause.

Kylun and Vthuil like this.