main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Sourcebooks are, absolutely. Not every WEG accessory was worthwhile for non-gamers, but of the hardcover Sourcebooks I honestly can't think of one that wasn't enormously enjoyable to read completely entirely separate from their usefulness as game accessories.

Gorefiend, Cheerios4u98 and Kylun like this.
  2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Gotta agree. Even though I did use them for the occasional RPG material and inspiration, the WEG books were among my favorite Star Wars material growing up the 90s, along with the Bantam novels and Dark Horse comics. Among the first few I owned were the Imperial Sourcebook, The Last Command Sourcebook, and Galaxy Guide 7 - Mos Eisley, all of which had rich background material and great illustrations and maps.

The2ndQuest and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  3. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    The Positive Fan Sturm Antilles

Awesome. I had never even considered checking out the sourcebooks until recently, but your responses make me excited. I'm gonna have to try to get my hands on a few of them! Very interested in the Dark Empire and Thrawn Trilogy ones. Also the Han Solo and the Corporate Sector one since I just read Daley's Han Solo trilogy.

The Positive Fan and Gorefiend like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know when the ubese's unmasked look was first shown/described?

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Might actually have been WOTCs Ultimate Alien Anthology

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So I think this has been asked before, but: how do Dathomirians work in the new canon, anyway? Apparently the females are all basically human and the males are all Zabraks - which are still a distinct species as well - and yet they manage to reproduce? Except that they don't just reproduce, they apparently have all children be the same species as the parent they share a sex with, or something? How does all that actually work?

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Is there a visual guide that doesn't cover anything past ROTS in terms of release order?

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @Vthuil There's a guide coming!

10. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    I know we have a "recanonized EU" thread, but is there a thread to discuss the contradictions between the new canon and the EU? I'd like to see a list (or at least a discussion) of exactly what is different so far. I've read all of the adult novels in the new canon and there are a few contradictions, but honestly I haven't noticed that many.

11. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Other than post-New Jedi Order, the New Canon fits like a glove over the old stuff.

As a continuity buff, I choose to personally disregard separate timelines and just do ret-cons in my head in regards to Solo children, B-wings, A-wings, Chewbacca, and any other discrepencies.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would not say they for like a glove because of TCW and Aftermath really don't fit like at all.

13. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    So no 2005 guide?

14. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    Well there are discrepancies, like the story of how Luke begins learning to use telekinesis in Heir to the Jedi is incompatible with the way he learned it in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Depa Billaba training Kanan is a bit jarring after reading what happened to her in Shatterpoint (but from what I've heard this might not actually be a blatant contradiction based on something from the Kanan comic. I haven't read the comics yet).

There are more that I can't think of off the top of my head right now. Nothing too major though, as far as I know.

15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I made a thread like that while back, but it kind of died a quick death.

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I was under the impression in SoTE that (in the scenes with Halla) Luke already knew the basics of telekinesis (given how unimpressed he is when she demonstrates it - and how he handles it in the escape from the jail) - but no more than that.

17. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015

I guess that would still make sense. I'd have to go back and read it again.

18. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I'd assume they're just the same species with sexual dimorphism between males and females. Maybe they're Zabrak descendants that evolved in a way that increased the differences between the sexes.

19. Cheerios4u98

Mar 4, 2015
    But there are female Zabraks too, even in the new canon (Jas, from Aftermath).

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Going by the images on the 'pedia so was WotC's Alien Anthology earlier with images of ubese. Do we know of any earlier depiction, either in art or in text?

Fun facts, this is how the ubese was depicted in Alien Anthology, human-like white/white-grey skin with black eye markings and minimal outer noses.
    [​IMG]

and this is how the were shown in Ultimate Alien Anthology, human with funny goggles.
    [​IMG]

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Have there been any adaptations of the The Untouchables in Star Wars?

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Not really though some background stuff about the Sector Rangers certainly has the vibe.

23. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Is the type of Imperial banner seen in Rebels and Uprising, with the Imperial symbol on a red background, an invention of the new canon? I don't really remember seeing it in the old EU, but it seems a bit odd if it is, since I've sort of thought the new canon was moving away from the Empire being specifically Space Nazis instead of a more general analogue for totalitarian dictatorships.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was seen in The Imperial Handbook - but that was a very late oldcanon book, overlapping with Rebels. I think there might have been something similar in the comics, but I'm not sure.

25. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013