main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Then I suppose Shatterpoint it is

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    If you haven't read the Yoda one yet, go read that one. It's great, though not nearly as Yoda-focused as the title would have you believe.
    There aren't a ton of books based on TCW proper, and most of them were aimed at younger audiences.

Jhawk117 likes this.
  3. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks for the heads-up, Random Comments. I have looked into that one as well

Anyone read this one?

[​IMG]

4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Shatterpoint, Dark Rendezvous, Republic Commando series, MedStar duology, and Labyrinth of Evil.

There are five adult novels based off the show, including the movie novelization. The movie novel's good (like a 1000x better than the movie), Wild Space is somewhere between meh and okay, No Prisoners is good, and the Gambit: Stealth/Siege duo are meh to bad.

Yeah, and...it's okay. Not amazing, imo, but not really terrible either.

Dark Horse's "Republic" comics are also fantastic, and should basically be required Star Wars reading for the CW era. Honestly.

5. AstroDroid88

Jan 30, 2016
    Contessa You don't sound that excited about it. Not really worth the read, then?

6. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    There're parts of it that're good, ARC trooper Nate's a great character, Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan make a cool team, and there's some good action scenes. But I remember (full disclosure: I read it back when it came out and haven't re-read since) a good chunk of the book just really dragging, and a bunch of the side characters just being kinda bland and boring to me. Maybe it'll work for you, I don't know, but it's definitely not my favorite.

7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    After Shatterpoint my top Clone Wars recommendations would be Republic Commando: Hard Contact. A lot of people soured on Karen Traviss based on her subsequent works, but in its day this book was almost universally praised - I recall the campaigns to get people buying copies to assure a sequel. Also, it is all original characters - so you don't know how everyone is going to turn out on the back end. The following two Republic Commando books I thought were really good, too - but they also had more stuff in them that I disliked. By the last two books the series had gotten pretty bad.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hard Contact is indeed perhaps the only Traviss book that gets high praise across the board.

(Sadly, for me, it also established a standard she was unable to reach again.)

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I found Hard Contact sub-standard but with some great scenes in it.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So looking at this article from the wonderful old HoloNet News website - and not having been terribly familiar with fan drama during the PT - I'm curious: was the criticism that an actor was "too famous" to appear in Star Wars actually a real thing? It certainly sounds like it's poking fun at an actual fandom complaint, but I've never heard of that one before, and I suppose it could just be parodying the culture in general.

11. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I would still have that kind of complaint in some circumstances. I'd much rather have talented unknowns because I want to see the character, not the actor. If the performance is good though, I could get over it.

Riv_Shiel and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It still is. It is a tough thing in the acting business.
    I find it hard to separate the actor from the character.
    We can joke all day about how Padmé dated Captain Kirk's dad, or how the Doctor "did" Asgard.
    Does it ruin it in the film though?

For TFA it did once, Bala Tik the Scottish fighter happened to be played by an actor who was in an English show at that time. I realised who it was.

Similarly this week Edmure Tully has appeared aa a corrupt government worker.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I seem to recall reading somewhere on here that the First Order (or at least Snoke) does not have a fixed headquarters but rather some kind of mobile command center. Is that just speculation or is it canon, and if so what's the source?

14. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    Stealing from the Wook:
    "The First Order would lack an official capital as its Supreme Leader would constantly move his base of operations, thus administration of the government would exist on an amalgam of planets within First Order territory. With the construction of Starkiller Base, the Order would possess an unofficial headquarters for its expanding power." citing the TFA Visual dictionary.

Mia Mesharad, Gorefiend and Vthuil like this.
  15. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    When Leo's name was thrown out for Anakin back when he was primarily known as the Titanic hunk.

16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I have a question. Is the x-wing game (miniature) canon? It has some Legends ships which I presume are not, and some only new canon stuff like TFA and Rebels ships. I know that most mini games like this have canon elements, but I was just curious about this. (Sorry if it has been answered or answered already.)

17. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think FFG and TOR were the last to publish Legends material. But I would imagine that any of the Rebels/TFA stuff is canon elements. Personally, I don't pay attention to that kind of thing, but push them aside like reference books, but I know that that's not the official view.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What do Imperial Sentinels (prominent in Dark Empire) do that Royal Guards don't?

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Loom far more effectively.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And wear pointier attire.

JediMatteus, Vthuil and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Mostly hang ups on hall of fame nominations and finding someone to run it as effectively as Hav did (some of the mods are not enthusiastic enough about the awards to want to run them, etc). Hav was also willing to help out still but the other hang ups have still delayed things. I'm still hoping to get it done this summer.

The Lit mods have been discussing ways to shift it towards the userbasr for next year to help avoid mod-based delays in the future. We'll have more details on that later as well (probably timed to the awards).

spicer likes this.
  22. AstroDroid88

Jan 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

Has anyone read this one? Its by one of my favorite SW authors so I thought about picking it up.

I just finished reading Cloak of Deception. It was pretty good, its a pre-Clone Wars novel, sets up the events for Episode 1. I don't think I would recommend reading it to the younger generation. If you want a Star Wars book with a lot of action, then this is not your book. There is hardly any in it. Its more about politics, which is interesting to me but it can drag on for a little while. Still, if you wanna know why the Trade Federation did the blockade of Naboo & like how Padme became Queen, then you'll want to read this one.

I have now started reading Shatterpoint so we'll see how this goes :)

spicer and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    It's good, but you should read Survivor's Quest first, if you haven't already. They're a linked set, with Quest as mystery and Flight as retrospective resolution. You can read Flight first, but Quest first is the better experience.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^Agreed with the above. There are certain... scenes... involving the fates of certain individuals that are better read first in SQ. It adds a little extra tension to Flight because you have the bare clues of what went down but not the story and gritty details.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    OBF & SQ can be read in either order- you just get a different effect depending on which order you choose.

Read SQ first and you're left with a mystery that you later get to fill in by going back to events as they unfold.

Read OBF first and you get to see an epilogue to the ship and the fates of those aboard across a gap in history.

It's sort of like the difference between discovering the Titanic and then figuring out what happened when it sank versus knowing how it sank and discovering the ruins to get some final answers.

AstroDroid88 likes this.