main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would imagine their heritage probably became known around the time of Dark Empire.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

That's less "galactic public" and more "Imperial military" though.

It's widely known that Luke is Leia's brother in The Thrawn Trilogy - yet in I, Jedi, the reveal that Luke is Vader's son, is treated as a big thing.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Perhaps, but I'm assuming it's still galactic public, though. While the Emperor and the upper echelons of the Empire may have known that Luke was Vader's son, it's not until ROTJ that Vader learns that Leia is his daughter, and since the Death Star 2 is destroyed shortly afterwards, I don't think the Emperor or Vader would have had time to make that known to the military.

However, in I, Jedi, Brakiss is revealed to have been part of the first Jedi training class, and we know he was sent there by the Empire as a spy. So, it's possible that, even if the rest of the galaxy didn't know, Brakiss could have sent a private transmission to his superiors once Luke made that announcement, and the news would have made its way to Furgan. I think that's the only way the Imperial military knows about Leia's heritage if the rest of the galaxy doesn't know yet.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In The Glove of Darth Vader, Trioculus knows. He might come under "upper echelons of the Empire".

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Choose: 2 trades (out now) or 1 OHC (out in Dec).

6. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Does trades mean paperback? What does OHC stand for?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OHC = Oversized HardCover - These tend to collect 10-12 issues at a time but can be larger or smaller, will sometimes to be called Omnibus edition but not always. Omnibus tends to apply to larger +15 issue collections, but Kanan's OHC has been so dubbed.

Alternatively, you buy the two paperbacks that are out.

Personally, I consider Marvel's standard paperbacks to be cheap tat, only bought when there's no alternative.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  8. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Do they come with any extras? Variant covers or interviews for example?

The OHC version will then have everything included?

Do the paperback's fall apart easily?

How do I collect the other comics?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Marvel are releasing their entire SW line now as OHCs as well as paperback trades.

Though, let's be fair: No, they don't fall apart, they're not that bad but they are crap - thin, compressed paper - you look at one and you'll never buy a monthly again because it'll be too clear that you're buying a pile of ads.

They sometimes bundle covers with OHCs but not always, I just much prefer them because they're a better quality product and will cost about the same as buying the paperbacks.

The OHC schedule known so far is:
    • July - Darth Vader OHC1 (collecting trades V1-2)
    • Sept - Star Wars OHC1 (collecting trades V1-2) + Shattered Empire (with C3PO one-shot)
    • Oct - Heroes for a New Hope (the Leia, Lando, Chewie minis)
    • Dec - Kanan Omnibus (collecting trades v1-2)
    • Feb - Darth Vader OHC2 (collecting Vader Down, v3)
    Therefore, based on this, at some point there will be:
    • ObiWan & Anakin OHC
    • Star Wars OHC2
    • Darth Vader OHC3
    • Poe Dameron OHC1

iPodwithnomusic and Darthmaul208 like this.
  10. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Wait? I'm in the UK so I don't think the comics are released weekly?
    Is a trade the collected paperback or the weekly issue?

* sorry for the questions, I don't know much about comics.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No worries, let's commence your training:

First, the 1138 article in my sig is a good intro to the comics.

Nope, SW comics are generally monthly, though Marvel have been double, or even triple-shipping on occasion, for quite some time. (There are weekly comics, many UK only titles are precisely that - 2000AD is one of the most famous alongside Beano / Dandy)

A trade is a collected edition, free of ads, generally collecting 4-6 issues but it can be more or less - I've 3-issue collections and 18-issue ones, both paperback trades.

OHC / Omnibus is a deluxe hardback - there has been substantive growth in this market over the last decade. As far as Marvel's editions go, know when they're coming out and grab 'em, they might not always stay in print for you to get later.

Finally, unless you have a fantastic local comic shop that you have an incredible sense of loyalty to, buy trades online with 33-40% discounts. You're UK-based so put Wordery and SpeedyHen (they have the best prices for the hardbacks almost every time, Vader OHC1 can be preordered for £15.89 (RRP £25.99!) right now) on your hit list.

And keep an eye on the General Marvel thread, all sorts of stuff gets posted there. Along with the Releases thread too.

vstarvan and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you're near London Forbidden Planet on Shaftesbury Avenue is good for comics, books and collectibles (not just SW). They can be expensive for the collectibles though.

13. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Nope unfortunately.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They have a few branches but the London store is the largest one.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They also do online mail order - including time-limited 40% offers, always worth keeping an eye on but it's the co.uk version I'm talking of. There's a .com version that's different.

16. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    does anyone have a picture of the new phantom menace hardcover from marvel? Anything new in it like covers gallery?

17. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Is this what you are after?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-...&keywords=marvel+star+wars+the+phantom+menace

I have no idea though.

Seems there was also another version last year.

From the reviews:
    "
    This hardcover volume also includes a section devoted to cover art and illustrations created for earlier editions of this comic adaptation and more. For example, the 1999 Dark Horse Comics four issue adaptation was originally published with painted covers by Hugh Fleming, along with alternate "variant" photo covers, which were images from the theatrical film or publicity photos. Mr. Fleming's beautiful illustrations are reprinted with the corresponding issue of the comics while the "variant" photo covers are reprinted in this section. Also featured are: the cover to the trade paperback edition of "The Phantom Menace" comic adaptation by Ravenwood, published by Dark Horse Comics in 1999 and the limited edition hardcover, released in 2000; a nice surprise (!): the covers to the two volume "The Phantom Menace Manga" adaptation by writer/artist Kia Asamiya, published by Dark Horse Comics in 1999. Regretfully, no manga versions of "Episodes II and III" were ever produced; a two paged reproduction of the illustration from the cover to the "Star Wars Omnibus: The Complete Saga: Episodes I -VI" by Tsuneo Sanda, released by Dark Horse Comics in 2008. Of special note is the fact that all these cover art reproductions are reprinted without the logos and other texts found on the original comics or trade paperback covers, giving the reader the opportunity to see these illustrations more fully. Finally, this volume includes reprints of sketch versions to the cover of this hardcover collection along with the final textless version by Mike Mayhew, and an ad page for the upcoming releases to the succeeding volumes in this comic collection of the Prequel Trilogy, as well as the collections devoted to the Original Trilogy.

"

Don't rely on me though, find a more reliable source.

Jedi Ben

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For this one I'd say Rebel_Jedi would be better as I think he may be bagging it!

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe I am blind but I can not find in which sector Balmorra is located, so: In which sector is Balmorra located?

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    sometimes, not in this case

21. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    I wonder if any of the books deal directly with The Force as a philosophy? Is there a book that focuses on the spirituality? I would like to see if I can feel the Force and apply it to my own life. No, I don't think I can become a Jedi but certainly Maz Kanata was taped right into it. Can I develop that skill?

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It never actually got placed in a Sector like many of the Colony Region worlds.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    So I have read a lot of Star Wars novels but I don't really know what to read next. I am planning on reading Aftermath until all 3 of those books have been released. Maybe I should read Battlefront: Twilight Company as that is canon and I haven't read it yet. You can see in my signature what novels I have read, and I would like some suggestions what to read next.

24. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Looks like you've read all the canon novels except for Aftermath. It's YA, but you might want to try Lost Stars as well. Including Legends, I'd recommend Scoundrels, the X-Wing series, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, and Knight Errant, to start

Vthuil and Darth Dnej like this.
  25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Twilight Company is surprisingly good, and Lost Stars and Servants of the Empire are really good as well, though marketed for a younger audience.
    In Legends, if you liked The Thrawn Trilogy, check out Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future, as well as StoryWorthTelling's suggestions.

Vthuil, Gorefiend and Darth Dnej like this.