main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Thanks for the reply!

My problem with this is it goes back to the old EU rules of tiered canon. I was under the impression that the new Disney canon did away with that system so something is either canon or legends, no tier system. Everything is meant to fit together.

Speaking of old EU, did fans ever reconcile the old Marvel comics from in-between ESB and ROTJ (which I'm currently reading now) with Shadows of the Empire? Was there ever any attempt to make the Marvel SW comics from that era fit in with Shadows of the Empire? I know there was even material from the Star Wars Roleplaying Game that took place in that time period inbetween ESB and ROTJ. Did it all work together? I know there was officially one year in-between ESB and ROTJ.

2. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think until the canon reboot, there were 3 years in between, which helps explain how so much happened. But I never read the guidebooks or dictionaries, just the fiction works, so I could be wrong.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I have a question regarding the "Balance of the Force". If there are no Jedi the force falls out of balance, but if there are no Sith the force stays balanced. It would seem like an equal number of Jedi and Sith would make the force balanced. Anyway, why is this the case?

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Because the Sith are the imbalance. People have this idea that it's this "balance between good and evil" thing, but Lucas has been pretty clear on multiple occasions that's not the case (though it's partly his own fault for not spelling it out in the movies themselves).

5. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    AFAIK, most of the Marvel comics set between ESB and ROTJ take place before the main story of Shadows Of the Empire. Only the issues with Tay Vanis seem to take place after Shadows.

6. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    If there are only Jedi, how is the force balanced? Don't you need two sides for something to be balanced?

7. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm not the most well versed person here on the subject of things Lucas has said over the years, but I do remember he's compared the Sith to cancer. The Banite line of Sith, culminating with Palpatine, plunged the galaxy into darkness. And I guess depending on how you see it, the Jedi don't really do the opposite of that, they just try to maintain peace and harmony. Or something. They kinda go with the flow, you know? Whereas the Sith want to upset the natural order of things, by conquering the galaxy and always trying to extend their lifespans and other various evil things.

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  8. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I agree, and this is how I look at things. Light side=balance, dark=imbalance. The problem with this view is The Clone Wars' Mortis trilogy, where a super-Force-sensitive family requires the Father to balance the dark Son and the light Daughter, but these people are seen as fallible and can therefore be the in-universe analog for the fanbase who think this way. In this way, when Anakin chooses not to stay with them and take the Father's place, it indicates that this view of balance is not contextually correct.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I will just stick with Rokur Gepta and his thoughts on a balanced galaxy. ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    No, it was always (or at least for quite some time in the old EU) one year between TESB and RotJ.

Though the marvel comics were sorta treated as semi-canon, and a bit ignored by most of the other stuff.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the TESB novelization, 6 Tatooine months is the figure given. I think somebody worked out from the date-stamps in The Essential Atlas that this corresponded to about 9 months "standard time".

12. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Where there any Imperial Guards during Legacy? If so, how would they work with Imperial Knights?

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Has anyone asked if this can be named the "Bombad General Question" thread?

TC

Kylun likes this.
  14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The New Essential Guide to Characters did the most to tie the two together, IIRC, mostly in squaring the activities of Dengar, Zuckuss, and IG-88 in Shadows with the random stuff they got up to in the Marvel comics. The online feature Planet Hoppers also tried to put the Marvel series into a larger context that included the post-Shadows EU, notably implying that the events of the grim issue "Hoth Stuff" were actually an elaborate practical joke Wedge played on Luke. Finally, the New Essential Guide to Droids (possibly following the lead of earlier material, I don't remember) tied the decoy-human droid from the Aargau issue to the SOTE lore surrounding Guri and the HRDs.

TC

15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    "What you learned cannot be unlearned."

Guys I really really think this is going to be Traitor and Ezra will go the way of Jacen and Kanan will have an amazing blind final stand.

Imagine the Vong pop up. They ARE technically canon. Maybe they can pull a twist and have them show up midseason as some sort of advance invasion at the edge of the galaxy and the Rebels crew tries to stop them. And the reason why the Ghost Crew isn't around during the OT is because they are too busy being badass Bendu grey Vergere disciples patrolling the outer rim for Vong scouts.

Okay I'm getting way ahead of myself but a man can dream

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Depending on how many elements they keep from Outbound Flight, there may even be a bigger chance to bring back the Vong now that Thrawn is back and Zahn is behind most of it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Wowwwwwwww I was wondering why I couldn't find that post. Wrong thread!!!! Sorry!!!!!

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When did they technically become something more then just another legend?

19. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Cancelled Clone Wars arc.

Gudenruben2 likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Then they are technically non-canon.

21. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    Nope, they specifically stated multiple times anything conceived for Clone Wars that never got produced is still considered canon.

22. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    No, it was just an idea. This is more of a doodle thing rather than a planned/scripted episode arc.

I don't think it was ever more than that.

iPodwithnomusic and Gamiel like this.
  23. IG_2000

Aug 5, 2008
    They said they were planned for season 7 or 8. I really think they are canon. I want to believe.

Gudenruben2 and spicer like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait a second that's Appa. :eek:

Force Smuggler, Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.